Cable internet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    I have cable internet and I was wondering if I could hook 2 computers to it
    and use them at the same time. Would the cable company charge extra if I did
    so? mediacom is my provider.
    Jack, Dec 3, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jack

    °Mike° Guest

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/


    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:50:34 GMT,
    in message <wfqzb.408665$Tr4.1171643@attbi_s03>,
    "Jack" <> scrawled:

    >I have cable internet and I was wondering if I could hook 2 computers to it
    >and use them at the same time. Would the cable company charge extra if I did
    >so? mediacom is my provider.
    >


    --
    Basic Computer Maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jack

    Richard Guest

    Jack! wrote:

    > I have cable internet and I was wondering if I could hook 2 computers to
    > it and use them at the same time. Would the cable company charge extra if
    > I did so? mediacom is my provider.



    Use of a router would be a must. I asked my cable company about hooking up
    two computers directly to the modem.
    They said the modem would probably be fried.
    AFAIK, you only pay for the number of lines installed, not how many machines
    are hooked to it.
    Richard, Dec 3, 2003
    #3
  4. Jack

    Brian Guest

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:41:32 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:

    >Use of a router would be a must. I asked my cable company about hooking up
    >two computers directly to the modem.
    >They said the modem would probably be fried.
    >AFAIK, you only pay for the number of lines installed, not how many machines
    >are hooked to it.
    >


    Actually, most cable companies now only charge for the services you use
    and equipment that you rent from them. The FCC has told them they can
    no longer charge per outlet. Just thought I'd throw in a little FYI
    Brian, Dec 3, 2003
    #4
  5. Jack wrote:

    > I have cable internet and I was wondering if I could hook 2 computers to it
    > and use them at the same time. Would the cable company charge extra if I did
    > so? mediacom is my provider.


    As to the price question, I think Brian hit it on the head. As to the
    hookup, yeah, just a X-port router or a router and a switch. (In this
    case, the "X" is a number, sometimes 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.... Generally
    speaking, you want more ports than you need - maybe 1 or two more...
    Just In Case.)

    Here's how you wire a 2-comp setup:

    [Comp1]
    |
    |(EtherNet)
    |
    \
    ====[x Port Switch]--[Router]---[CableModem]
    /
    |
    |
    |
    [Comp2]

    USUALLY setting everything to DHCP is all you really need.

    Good Luck! I'm pullin' for you.
    --
    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 3, 2003
    #5
  6. Jack

    Brian Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:43:54 -0500, BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ
    <> wrote:

    >Jack wrote:
    >
    >> I have cable internet and I was wondering if I could hook 2 computers to it
    >> and use them at the same time. Would the cable company charge extra if I did
    >> so? mediacom is my provider.

    >
    >As to the price question, I think Brian hit it on the head. As to the
    >hookup, yeah, just a X-port router or a router and a switch. (In this
    >case, the "X" is a number, sometimes 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.... Generally
    >speaking, you want more ports than you need - maybe 1 or two more...
    >Just In Case.)
    >
    >Here's how you wire a 2-comp setup:
    >
    >[Comp1]
    >|
    >|(EtherNet)
    >|
    > \
    > ====[x Port Switch]--[Router]---[CableModem]
    > /
    >|
    >|
    >|
    >[Comp2]
    >
    >USUALLY setting everything to DHCP is all you really need.
    >
    >Good Luck! I'm pullin' for you.
    >--


    Yeah, it does help when you work for Time Warner Cable.....
    Brian, Dec 3, 2003
    #6
  7. Jack

    Liz Guest

    "Brian" wrote:

    > Actually, most cable companies now only charge for the services you use
    > and equipment that you rent from them. The FCC has told them they can
    > no longer charge per outlet. Just thought I'd throw in a little FYI


    FYI, Wireless Road Runner will support up to three
    computers in your house for an additional $14.95/month.
    http://www.satx.rr.com/wireless/

    --
    Just a happy Time Warner customer.
    Liz, Dec 3, 2003
    #7
  8. Jack

    Brian Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:41:22 GMT, "Liz" <> wrote:

    >"Brian" wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, most cable companies now only charge for the services you use
    >> and equipment that you rent from them. The FCC has told them they can
    >> no longer charge per outlet. Just thought I'd throw in a little FYI

    >
    >FYI, Wireless Road Runner will support up to three
    >computers in your house for an additional $14.95/month.
    >http://www.satx.rr.com/wireless/


    Wow, shameless RR plugs... I'm impressed
    Brian, Dec 3, 2003
    #8
  9. Jack

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ mused:
    |
    | Here's how you wire a 2-comp setup:
    |
    | ====[x Port Switch]--[Router]---[CableModem]

    Why have a separate switch when the router has a built in switch?
    mhicaoidh, Dec 3, 2003
    #9
  10. Jack

    Liz Guest

    "Brian" wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:41:22 GMT, "Liz" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Brian" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Actually, most cable companies now only charge for the services you use
    > >> and equipment that you rent from them. The FCC has told them they can
    > >> no longer charge per outlet. Just thought I'd throw in a little FYI

    > >
    > >FYI, Wireless Road Runner will support up to three
    > >computers in your house for an additional $14.95/month.
    > >http://www.satx.rr.com/wireless/

    >
    > Wow, shameless RR plugs... I'm impressed


    You're too easily impressed.
    Liz, Dec 4, 2003
    #10
  11. Jack

    OddlyEnough Guest

    Jack wrote:

    > I have cable internet and I was wondering if I could hook 2 computers to it
    > and use them at the same time. Would the cable company charge extra if I did
    > so? mediacom is my provider.
    >
    >
    >

    That is easily done. But remember if you get a wireless router and cards
    for your pc your neighbor could possibly biggy back your router with his
    computer and use your ISP for internet access.
    OddlyEnough, Dec 4, 2003
    #11
  12. Jack

    Brian Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:25:09 GMT, "Liz" <> wrote:

    >"Brian" wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:41:22 GMT, "Liz" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Brian" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Actually, most cable companies now only charge for the services you use
    >> >> and equipment that you rent from them. The FCC has told them they can
    >> >> no longer charge per outlet. Just thought I'd throw in a little FYI
    >> >
    >> >FYI, Wireless Road Runner will support up to three
    >> >computers in your house for an additional $14.95/month.
    >> >http://www.satx.rr.com/wireless/

    >>
    >> Wow, shameless RR plugs... I'm impressed

    >
    >You're too easily impressed.
    >

    Yeah, true
    Brian, Dec 4, 2003
    #12
  13. Jack

    (o)_(o) Guest

    Your cable provider will charge you extra for 2 more IP address but
    usually thats it and the charge is normally like $5.00 each per month.

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:50:34 GMT, "Jack" <> wrote:

    >I have cable internet and I was wondering if I could hook 2 computers to it
    >and use them at the same time. Would the cable company charge extra if I did
    >so? mediacom is my provider.
    >
    >
    (o)_(o), Dec 8, 2003
    #13
  14. Jack

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 04:02:25 GMT, "(o)_(o)" <> scribbled:

    >Your cable provider will charge you extra for 2 more IP address but
    >usually thats it and the charge is normally like $5.00 each per month.


    Mine doesn't, I can pull four IP addresses without any
    extra fees.


    >On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:50:34 GMT, "Jack" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have cable internet and I was wondering if I could hook 2 computers to it
    >>and use them at the same time. Would the cable company charge extra if I did
    >>so? mediacom is my provider.
    >>
    >>


    --
    'What Profiteth It A Kingdom If The Oxen Be Deflated?'
    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Dec 8, 2003
    #14
  15. Jack

    Spike Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:41:32 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:
    >
    > >Use of a router would be a must. I asked my cable company about hooking

    up
    > >two computers directly to the modem.
    > >They said the modem would probably be fried.
    > >AFAIK, you only pay for the number of lines installed, not how many

    machines
    > >are hooked to it.
    > >

    >
    > Actually, most cable companies now only charge for the services you use
    > and equipment that you rent from them. The FCC has told them they can
    > no longer charge per outlet. Just thought I'd throw in a little FYI


    I have connected two computers using just a network cable and two cards to
    share internet access. This was using NTL in U.K and there was no problem.
    Mike.
    Spike, Dec 24, 2003
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jack B. Pollack

    Looking for SATA power cable to IDE power cable adapter

    Jack B. Pollack, Feb 12, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    11,891
  2. OCZ Guy
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    857
    Writer R5
    Jul 30, 2004
  3. Radium
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    890
    HankG
    Aug 25, 2007
  4. KevenGaston

    Canon S3 IS - Now with Remote Cable Release Via USB Cable!

    KevenGaston, Oct 11, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    4,280
    Doug Jewell
    Oct 14, 2007
  5. Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,129
Loading...

Share This Page