    know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
    anyone point me in right direction?

    Thanks.
    fitwell, Jun 27, 2003

  2. fitwell

    Miggsee Guest

    Yea for you! :) I do not think that you need to prepare at all, other than
    updating to a newer ZA. I have free version 3.7.159. For fun, activate your
    current ZA, and then wait until the cable is installed. Then update, and
    watch with glee as it's download speed! :) You're going to love broadband!

    Good Luck! :)

    Miggsee, Jun 27, 2003

  3. fitwell

    NEMISIES Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:05:04 -0400, fitwell <>
    wrote:

    >(If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
    >antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
    >
    >I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
    >operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
    >that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
    >the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
    >know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
    >anyone point me in right direction?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Just Start Her Up & Go for It !!! U will Notice the Difference
    Belive Me !!
    NEMISIES, Jun 27, 2003
  4. fitwell

    SgtMinor Guest

    You may find some of the info at these sites useful:

    Cable Modem info:

    http://www.cable-modems.org/Q&A/

    http://speedguide.net/

    Cable connection checking tools:

    http://www.cable-modems.org/toolbox/

    BTW, www.nojunkmail.com is a registered domain name. Do you actually
    have an account at that address?

    SgtMinor, Jun 27, 2003
  5. fitwell

    Solar^ Guest

    Congrats on getting cable. I'm sure that you will love it. As far as
    being prepared is concerned, a couple of programs might be helpful.
    One is Accelerate (www.webroot.com). This program tweaks your computer
    settings to get the most out of a cable connection. The other is
    www.dslreports.com. This web site speed tests your connection. I only
    got the basic install when I got cable, so I was responsible for
    hooking the thing up to my computer. After a few calls to tech support
    I was up and running. Probably a good idea to be sure and have their
    number.

    Solar^, Jun 27, 2003
  6. fitwell

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, fitwell
    <> wrote:

    > (If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
    > antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
    >
    > I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
    > operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
    > that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
    > the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
    > know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
    > anyone point me in right direction?

    You will only change the network settings (to use Ethernet instead of
    the modem) and the mail account settings. You might be using a
    different news server, too.

    The programs you use do not have to change.
    Mitch, Jun 27, 2003
  7. fitwell

    slick66ca Guest

    Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
    broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

    slick66ca, Jun 28, 2003
  8. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:05:06 GMT, "slick66ca" <>
    wrote:

    >Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
    >broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

    And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
    words, do we use?

    Thanks.

    fitwell, Jun 28, 2003
  9. fitwell

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:58:44 -0400, fitwell wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:05:06 GMT, "slick66ca" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
    >>broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

    > And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
    > words, do we use?

    "slick66ca" misused the term 'port'. If you have a firewall installed then
    you probably are OK. Your ports are closed. Check with something like
    ShieldsUp https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 or another port scanner:
    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

    > Thanks.
    >

    >>"Mitch" <> wrote in message

    >>> You will only change the network settings (to use Ethernet instead of
    >>> the modem) and the mail account settings. You might be using a
    >>> different news server, too.
    >>>
    >>> The programs you use do not have to change.

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)
    Jimchip, Jun 28, 2003
  10. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:45:10 -0000, Jimchip
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:58:44 -0400, fitwell wrote:
    >> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:05:06 GMT, "slick66ca" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
    >>>broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

    >> And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
    >> words, do we use?

    >"slick66ca" misused the term 'port'. If you have a firewall installed then
    >you probably are OK. Your ports are closed. Check with something like
    >ShieldsUp https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 or another port scanner:
    >http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

    Phew! Thanks and will do!

    fitwell, Jun 28, 2003
  11. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:47:17 GMT, fitwell <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:45:10 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:58:44 -0400, fitwell wrote:

    >>> And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
    >>> words, do we use?

    >>"slick66ca" misused the term 'port'. If you have a firewall installed then
    >>you probably are OK. Your ports are closed. Check with something like
    >>ShieldsUp https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 or another port scanner:
    >>http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

    >Phew! Thanks and will do!

    Awesome! I tested clear in ShieldsUp completely! I was hoping that
    was the case, but good to find out.

    I didn't do so well in the second but that's because I have Javascript
    enabled and no cookie stopper installed at this time.

    Great sites!

    >>> Thanks.

    [snip]
    fitwell, Jun 28, 2003
  12. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:28:09 -0400, "Miggsee" <>
    wrote:

    >Yea for you! :) I do not think that you need to prepare at all, other than
    >updating to a newer ZA. I have free version 3.7.159. For fun, activate your
    >current ZA, and then wait until the cable is installed. Then update, and
    >watch with glee as it's download speed! :) You're going to love broadband!
    >
    >Good Luck! :)

    :eek:D

    Well, of course I'm very happy with the cable!!

    At work we have super fast connections so it was always tough to come
    home to dialup, I just must strategize my bills somewhat differently.
    But the cable is awesome.

    Everyone was right, there didn't seem to be anything I needed to do
    other than have the firewall going at all times. I'm going to have to
    get over that insecure feeling, though. With dialup, my problems were
    virtually over once I disconnected; here, it's live all the time. I
    can now really understand why people who use their computers a lot
    have two. One for internet work and continuous dl and others for
    their real work, business, etc. Seems that that's something I can
    think about in future.

    Can't believe how fast webpages load, too, and the newsgroups update
    in mere seconds instead of many, many minutes.

    Cheers!

    [snip]
    fitwell, Jun 29, 2003