    Regards

    Matt
    , Mar 8, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > We've recently had the Telstra guy come in and upgrade our service from
    > basic analog tv to digital. The decoder is quite flash.

    Are you happy with the upgrade? Is it really any better?

    > However, I noticed that he has installed a cable modem along with it
    > that connects via ethernet. Reading in the basic instruction manual, it
    > only seems to mention that it's for pay per view movies.

    I heard it was for the Electronic Program Guide too, but might be
    incorrect, don't use their Digital service myself

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Kent Smith Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> We've recently had the Telstra guy come in and upgrade our service from
    >> basic analog tv to digital. The decoder is quite flash.

    > Are you happy with the upgrade? Is it really any better?

    So you'll be enjoying that 'dvd quality picture' with your low bandwidth
    composite connection then? :)

    >> However, I noticed that he has installed a cable modem along with it
    >> that connects via ethernet. Reading in the basic instruction manual, it
    >> only seems to mention that it's for pay per view movies.

    > I heard it was for the Electronic Program Guide too, but might be
    > incorrect, don't use their Digital service myself

    I thought the digital decoders had integrated cable modem. Is this a
    separate cable modem unit?

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Wally Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> We've recently had the Telstra guy come in and upgrade our service from
    >>> basic analog tv to digital. The decoder is quite flash.

    >> Are you happy with the upgrade? Is it really any better?
    >>

    > So you'll be enjoying that 'dvd quality picture' with your low bandwidth
    > composite connection then? :)
    >>
    >>> However, I noticed that he has installed a cable modem along with it
    >>> that connects via ethernet. Reading in the basic instruction manual, it
    >>> only seems to mention that it's for pay per view movies.

    >> I heard it was for the Electronic Program Guide too, but might be
    >> incorrect, don't use their Digital service myself
    >>

    > I thought the digital decoders had integrated cable modem. Is this a
    > separate cable modem unit?
    >

    > -KENT

    I was under the impression that the interactive component of the menus and
    pin number entry for R18 movies etc also uses the modem.
    As far as I know, you will have to have another cable modem installed and it
    has its own IP.
    I have to say that in my experience, the cable solution rocks in comparison
    to Telescums offerings. I don't profess to be expert, just had some limited
    experience. Cable modem from 1999 until now, excepting an interlude on ADSL
    when I lived out of reach of TelstraClear's cable.
    Wally, Mar 9, 2006
  5. Peter Guest

    Wally wrote:

    > I have to say that in my experience, the cable solution rocks in
    > comparison to Telescums offerings. I don't profess to be expert, just had
    > some limited experience. Cable modem from 1999 until now, excepting an
    > interlude on ADSL when I lived out of reach of TelstraClear's cable.

    Pity about the company who owns it, though.
    Peter, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Guest

    Kent Smith wrote:
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all
    > >>
    > >> We've recently had the Telstra guy come in and upgrade our service from
    > >> basic analog tv to digital. The decoder is quite flash.

    > > Are you happy with the upgrade? Is it really any better?
    > >

    > So you'll be enjoying that 'dvd quality picture' with your low bandwidth
    > composite connection then? :)
    > >
    > >> However, I noticed that he has installed a cable modem along with it
    > >> that connects via ethernet. Reading in the basic instruction manual, it
    > >> only seems to mention that it's for pay per view movies.

    > > I heard it was for the Electronic Program Guide too, but might be
    > > incorrect, don't use their Digital service myself
    > >

    > I thought the digital decoders had integrated cable modem. Is this a
    > separate cable modem unit?
    >

    > -KENT

    Just thought I'd post a heads up.

    After spending about 45 minutes waiting in the queue to talk to tech
    support, I have found out that in you do in fact need a seperate cable
    modem to have the internet. The cable modem that comes with your
    decoder is a seperate unit that is provisioned to connect to the
    digital tv service only.

    When prompted with the question 'but it's a cable modem. If I'm not
    using ppv, surely you can just assign me an IP if I give you the mac
    address' I was told after a few ums, ahhs, & comments from the manager
    that no, that wasn't possible.

    So it looks like I'll have to get a 2nd cable modem installed. Not
    really a big problem, but really seems totally pointless (considering
    the one that comes with the unit is nicely piggybacked off the
    decoder). I suspect that they will also need to install another
    jackpoint. A great way for them to justify the $149 connection fee I
    suppose :)

    Re: the picture quality & service, having the old modem was a
    nightmare. The remote was old & the buttons stuck. Also there were a
    few channels you can't get. I also prefer the Telstra ep guide over
    Sky, but that's just personal preference. There is a definate
    improvement in the picture quality. The only small thing that annoys me
    is that when you set a reminder it will automatically change to the
    channel 1:30s before it's due to start if you 'select to view this
    program'. A bit of a pain in the rear if you booked in, say, the
    simpsons, but you wanted to see the delightful Toni Marsh finish
    reading the weather :)

    Cheers

    Matt
    , Mar 9, 2006