    nuisance.
    Thank you for help,
    Seamus J. Wilson

    Seamus J. Wilson, Sep 14, 2006

  2. Seamus J. Wilson

    richard Guest

    "Seamus J. Wilson" <> wrote in message
    news:ZeeOg.9525$cw.4546@fed1read03...
    > Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable for
    > hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes back until
    > I power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec for minutes
    > before it reconnects.
    > Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
    > nuisance.
    > Thank you for help,
    > Seamus J. Wilson

    Try noting the exact times this happens. If it's on a regular basis, most
    likely the cable company has a problem.
    Since it is reconnecting, I'd say it's not the fault of the modem. Call Cox
    and see if you can get a newer modem.

    richard, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Seamus J. Wilson

    sittingduck Guest

    Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

    > Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable
    > for hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes back
    > until I power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec for
    > minutes before it reconnects.
    > Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
    > nuisance.
    > Thank you for help,
    > Seamus J. Wilson

    I had the exact same modem, and it caused me problems too. I called Comcast,
    and they said that their network has been upgraded, etc. and that modem was
    too old. I replaced it with a new one, and no more problems.

    sittingduck, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Seamus J. Wilson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
    > Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable
    > for hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes
    > back until I power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec
    > for minutes before it reconnects.
    > Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
    > nuisance.

    You have 5 lights on the modem including the cable and test lights in
    addition to power, PC, & data. By noting the condition of cable and
    test you should be able to determine the condition of the downstream RF
    carrier. See p13 of this manual.
    http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/products/pcx1100u_cmmanual.pdf

    There is also a troubleshooting wizard here for your modem
    http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/support/troubleshooter.html

    The manual doesn't say that your modem can be accessed with a browser or
    that it keeps any logs internally. Most/many do; mine does. That
    information is very helpful for determining these things. For example
    the Toshiba PCX5000 seen at that site has wireless capability also has
    browser interface and admin and router/firewall functions -- but I'm not
    sure it keeps carrier connectivity logs.

    The typical process between a cable modem and the cableco is that the
    modem takes out a lease on an IP with the cableco network which lasts
    for some number of hours. Eventually the lease expires but the modem
    gets a new lease instead of losing connectivity. Generally the new
    lease has the same IP as the old lease. If you are losing connectivity
    often, it is up to your cableco to determine whether it is the fault of
    your modem or the cableco.

    Who owns your modem, you or the cableco?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 14, 2006
  5. Thank you for the helpful responses. I own the modem and now will contact
    Cox to see if they can loan me new modem.
    Best,
    Seamus J. Wilson

    Seamus J. Wilson, Sep 14, 2006
  6. Seamus J. Wilson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Who owns your modem, you or the cableco?

    > I own the modem and now will
    > contact Cox to see if they can loan me new modem.

    It doesn't work like that.

    Typically cableco/s provide one or more types of services regarding the
    cable internet connxn. Some cableco/s sell/rent the internet cable
    connectivity with their modem included with or without their initial
    installation and do not offer a 'modemless' service in which the
    customer provides the modem and its installation.

    Obviously your current service involves your own modem. If you want
    service with the cableco/s modem, you are going to have to make a
    different deal, if one is available. The cableco isn't going to 'loan'
    you a modem. They may sell you an install and a monthly service which
    includes them owning the modem -- or they may suggest that if you want
    to have a new modem that you should go buy one.

    One of the problems with the customer owning the modem, especially in
    the old days when modems ran hot and broke often, is that the old modems
    were also expensive and the troubleshooting was problematic --
    determining which problems were modem and which problems were cableco.

    My own cableco provider doesn't even offer a different price for owning
    one's own modem. There is just one internet price and it includes the
    cableco owning the modem and troubleshooting the modem and its
    connectivity. In the old hot modem days that led to periodic service
    calls with modem replacement. I haven't had my modem replaced in a long
    time now.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 14, 2006
  7. Seamus J. Wilson

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:07:40 -0700, "Seamus J. Wilson" <>
    wrote:

    >Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable for
    >hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes back until I
    >power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec for minutes before
    >it reconnects.
    >Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
    >nuisance.

    The modem is looking for downstream lock while the light blinks. It
    goes solid once it locks. You are not getting enough signal strength
    to the modem. Possible fixes are (in order):

    1> Make sure the modem is connected to the FIRST splitter connected to
    the cable company's "tap", the tap is inside the box outside your
    house or up on the pole. For example, if you have 3 televisions
    getting cable -- then the incoming line from the street should be
    split by a two way splitter -- one output to your modem and the other
    to a 3-way splitter that will feed the signal to the TV's.

    2> That first splitter MUST be of a quality rated for digital use,
    look for a 5MHz-1GHz rating on it.

    3> Make sure all the fittings are properly installed and tight. Radio
    Shack fittings will NOT cut it! Poorly made up fittings can account
    for a huge drop in signal loss (measured in dB).

    4> The type of coax cable used for the modem and main feed should be
    RG6, not the RG59 that older homes were pre-wired with.

    Basically, do what you can on YOUR end to get the maximum signal to
    the modem. Since what you describe is signal level right on the cusp,
    you probably can fix it yourself by cleaning up your connections to
    the modem. You can log into most modems and see what the signal
    level is, try http://192.168.100.1 or http://192.168.100.2 for the
    config screen. You'll need at least 10dB for a lock on that modem
    IIRC.

    The cable company may have to increase the incoming signal to your
    home if all else fails.

    --

    -Graham
    (remove the double e's to email)