    Anti Virus = NAV 2005
    Thanks
    Harry

    Harry, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Harry

    Vanguard Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    news:42388e32$0$69408$...
    > Hi,
    > I have a small problem with my cable connection with the ISP.
    > It is probably nothing but quite annoying.
    > Since this morning, my Broadband Cable Connection to the internet
    > keeps
    > disconnecting and gets connected again straight away though, can
    > anybody
    > help me clearing this out? Perhaps I have to put a check mark some
    > where in
    > the configuration? OS Windows XP SP1 Broadband ISP=Wanadoo
    > Anti Virus = NAV 2005
    > Thanks
    > Harry

    Does the "online" light on the cable modem start blinking when you lose
    your connection? That means the cable modem isn't connecting to their
    host.

    Maybe you're just getting a high amount of loss for your packets. Have
    you tried running:

    ping -n 100 <somehost>

    to see how much packet loss you have? If your ISP's site rejects pings,
    you can ping somewhere else, like www.yahoo.com. Could be someone is
    flooding your network segment (i.e., some neighbor is download lots of
    porn) causing timeouts or choking the segment with lots of contentions.
    That's only something your cable provider can change. However, if there
    isn't a heavy load of traffic but you still get lots of packet loss,
    you're provider will need to do more thorough testing of the line than
    just running a ping test back to your cable modem.

    Have you checked the Events Viewer to see if there are any errors
    regarding TCP, your network device, or anything related to networking?

    Vanguard, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Harry

    Harry Guest

    "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a small problem with my cable connection with the ISP.
    > > It is probably nothing but quite annoying.
    > > Since this morning, my Broadband Cable Connection to the internet
    > > keeps
    > > disconnecting and gets connected again straight away though, can
    > > anybody
    > > help me clearing this out? Perhaps I have to put a check mark some
    > > where in
    > > the configuration? OS Windows XP SP1 Broadband ISP=Wanadoo
    > > Anti Virus = NAV 2005
    > > Thanks
    > > Harry
    > >

    > Does the "online" light on the cable modem start blinking when you lose
    > your connection? That means the cable modem isn't connecting to their
    > host.

    Nope, the light on the cable modem does not blink.

    > Maybe you're just getting a high amount of loss for your packets. Have
    > you tried running:
    >
    > ping -n 100 <somehost>

    I did what you said and this is the result, I'm affraid I don't understand
    any of these!!
    Ping 62.234.76.230
    [c3eea4ce6.cable.wanadoo.nl]

    Timed out
    Timed out
    Timed out
    Timed out
    Timed out
    Timed out
    Timed out
    Timed out
    Timed out
    Timed out

    Average time over 10 pings: 0 ms

    > to see how much packet loss you have? If your ISP's site rejects pings,
    > you can ping somewhere else, like www.yahoo.com. Could be someone is
    > flooding your network segment (i.e., some neighbor is download lots of
    > porn) causing timeouts or choking the segment with lots of contentions.
    > That's only something your cable provider can change. However, if there
    > isn't a heavy load of traffic but you still get lots of packet loss,
    > you're provider will need to do more thorough testing of the line than
    > just running a ping test back to your cable modem.
    >
    > Have you checked the Events Viewer to see if there are any errors
    > regarding TCP, your network device, or anything related to networking?

    There is no error report regarding TCP in the Events Viewer

    Harry, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Harry

    Harry Guest

    I ping again and amazing results came out as follow:

    Ping 62.234.76.230
    [c3eea4ce6.cable.wanadoo.nl]

    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 133 ms
    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 138 ms
    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 126 ms
    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 199 ms
    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 197 ms
    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 138 ms
    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 159 ms
    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 232 ms
    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 120 ms
    Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 131 ms

    Average time over 10 pings: 157.3 ms

    Any comments please!

    Harry, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Harry

    Vanguard Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >I ping again and amazing results came out as follow:
    >
    > Ping 62.234.76.230
    > [c3eea4ce6.cable.wanadoo.nl]
    >
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 133 ms
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 138 ms
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 126 ms
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 199 ms
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 197 ms
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 138 ms
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 159 ms
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 232 ms
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 120 ms
    > Round trip time to 62.234.76.230: 131 ms
    >

    > Average time over 10 pings: 157.3 ms
    >
    > Any comments please!
    >
    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    >> > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> > >

    >> > Does the "online" light on the cable modem start blinking when you
    >> > lose
    >> > your connection? That means the cable modem isn't connecting to
    >> > their
    >> > host.

    >> Nope, the light on the cable modem does not blink.
    >>
    >> > Maybe you're just getting a high amount of loss for your packets.
    >> > Have
    >> > you tried running:
    >> >
    >> > ping -n 100 <somehost>

    >> I did what you said and this is the result, I'm affraid I don't
    >> understand
    >> any of these!!
    >> Ping 62.234.76.230
    >> [c3eea4ce6.cable.wanadoo.nl]
    >>
    >> Timed out
    >> Timed out
    >> Timed out
    >> Timed out
    >> Timed out
    >> Timed out
    >> Timed out
    >> Timed out
    >> Timed out
    >> Timed out
    >>

    >> Average time over 10 pings: 0 ms
    >>

    >> > to see how much packet loss you have? If your ISP's site rejects
    >> > pings,
    >> > you can ping somewhere else, like www.yahoo.com. Could be someone
    >> > is
    >> > flooding your network segment (i.e., some neighbor is download lots
    >> > of
    >> > porn) causing timeouts or choking the segment with lots of
    >> > contentions.
    >> > That's only something your cable provider can change. However, if
    >> > there
    >> > isn't a heavy load of traffic but you still get lots of packet
    >> > loss,
    >> > you're provider will need to do more thorough testing of the line
    >> > than
    >> > just running a ping test back to your cable modem.
    >> >
    >> > Have you checked the Events Viewer to see if there are any errors
    >> > regarding TCP, your network device, or anything related to
    >> > networking?

    >> There is no error report regarding TCP in the Events Viewer

    Don't know what ping program you are running since both your replies
    specify output that is NOT from the ping.exe command provided within
    Windows XP. The "-n 100" parameter should have executed 100 pings, not
    just 10 which is too small a sample regarding packet loss. The output
    from ping.exe should have looked like (shown between the dashed lines:

    >ping -n 10 www.yahoo.com

    Pinging www.yahoo.akadns.net [68.142.226.49] with 32 bytes of data:

    .... (other 98 results) ...

    Ping statistics for 68.142.226.49:

    I wasn't interested in the 100 output lines but rather the summary
    output of which I was asking about the packet LOSS. Knowing the average
    delay is important but packet loss is more important if it occurs. What
    did you get for the "Lost = x (n% loss)" output?

    By the way, 157ms (what you measured) when connected to Wanadoo and
    pinging a Wanadoo host is too long. In itself that would be something
    to report to your ISP. I'd bitch if my average ping time went over
    80ms. Pinging my ISP's home page returns 41ms. Even when I ping
    www.yahoo.com, I only get 43ms. Pinging 62.234.76.230 (the host you
    choose) results in timeouts which could be an extremely slow host or
    perhaps that I cannot reach that host when coming in from outside their
    network. I then pinged news.wanadoo.nl and got an average delay of
    152ms, which seems to me to be bit high. I then did a traceroute to
    news.wanadoo.com and noticed the delay jumped when I hit the
    opentransit.net host (so the delay for every hop thereafter was also
    pretty long).

    You can also do a traceroute to see where the delay jumps radically.
    When I did a traceroute to 62.234.76.230 (the host you tried), delays
    jumped when I hit the London opentransit.net host and The NL host jumped
    up to 202ms for delay. I got the following for a traceroute:

    >tracert 62.234.76.230

    Tracing route to c3eea4ce6.cable.wanadoo.nl [62.234.76.230]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 33 ms 1 ms 1 ms <withheld>
    2 61 ms 11 ms 20 ms <withheld>
    3 9 ms 7 ms 10 ms 68.87.176.93
    4 8 ms 9 ms 14 ms 68.87.174.25
    5 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms 68.87.174.21
    6 20 ms 19 ms 17 ms 12.118.239.169
    7 21 ms 20 ms 19 ms tbr2-p012301.cgcil.ip.att.net
    [12.123.6.13]
    8 28 ms 28 ms 25 ms tbr2-cl7.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.10.46]
    9 41 ms 41 ms 40 ms tbr2-cl6.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.10.90]
    10 42 ms 40 ms 39 ms ggr1-p370.dlstx.ip.att.net
    [12.123.16.245]
    11 40 ms 40 ms 43 ms 192.205.32.158
    12 41 ms 40 ms 39 ms So0-0-0.DALCR1.Dallas.opentransit.net
    [193.251.243.37]
    13 71 ms 69 ms 69 ms P4-0.CHICR1.Chicago.opentransit.net
    [193.251.150.54]
    14 71 ms 68 ms 71 ms P9-0.NYKCR2.New-york.opentransit.net
    [193.251.242.249]
    15 70 ms 69 ms 67 ms P11-0.NYKCR3.New-york.opentransit.net
    [193.251.242.210]
    16 141 ms 140 ms 139 ms P4-0.LONCR3.London.opentransit.net
    [193.251.243.22]
    17 152 ms 150 ms 150 ms P0-0.AMSBB1.Amsterdam.opentransit.net
    [193.251.241.145]
    18 268 ms 267 ms 202 ms WanadooNetherlands.GW.opentransit.net
    [193.251.254.118]
    19 153 ms 152 ms 151 ms G3-10.dr1-gv1.nl.euro.net
    [194.134.161.50]
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    (repeated timeouts)

    Notice the jump in delay at hop 16, and even more at hop 18. Really
    long delays cause problems but lost packets are worse. I've noticed
    e-mail programs that begin to get timeouts with just a 4% loss and
    browsing is noticeably slower at around 10-14% loss. Dropped packets
    will incur a delay separate from the delay shown by ping. Dropped
    packets have to be retried make the effective delay even worse. You
    could have an average delay of only 20ms with maybe only 50ms for the
    slowest node but with lots of many dropped packets your e-mail, browser,
    or other applications timeout waiting for all the retries.

    Vanguard, Mar 17, 2005