    his home Linksys router.
    I have never seen this configuration before. He stated that he wants it for
    redundancy sake. Any ideas?
    Frank F, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Frank F

    Mungo Bulge Guest

    Only if his router supports redundancy as some did with cable/dial-up.
    Enterprise class routers quite often support this feature, but as I am
    not familiar with DSL, but some companies provide the modem and PC
    interface all-in-one PCI card, which would be a problem.

    Another problem may arise from the face that most ISP use the MAC of
    the system connected to their modem as an authentication tool,
    therefore the router may have to present two MAC's, no easy feat for a
    consumer product.
    Having said all that, two routers connected together could be
    configured to solve this problem.

    Mungo Bulge, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Frank F

    Uncle John Guest

    I was about to post a similar question which partly answers the above.so I
    will add it in here.

    I have
    1) a cable modem attached to my Netgear router which connects my PC and
    others to a 4 Mb cable modem configured as a LAN linking me to my ISP.
    2) a 500 Kb ADSL [RAS] broadband modem configured as dial-up linking me to
    another ISP connected via USB 2 to my PC.

    If I enable (2) it pre-empts the cable connection so I normally have it
    switched off. I would like to have it on so that it picks up automatically
    if the LAN drops which happens occasionally rather than having to enable it
    manually.

    So far I have not been able to do this.

    --
    Uncle John

    Uncle John, Feb 10, 2005
  4. Frank F

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/loadbalance.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 10, 2005
  5. Frank F

    Frank F Guest

    Thanks for the info. I looked at the Hawkins Router. Might just do the
    trick.

    Frank F, Feb 11, 2005