    Thanks for any and all information anyone can give. It is greatly
    appreciated.

    Brandon

    Brandon Wolgast, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Brandon Wolgast

    djskyler Guest

    "Brandon Wolgast" <> wrote in message
    news:mYiSb.122065$...
    > I have a quick question that I am hoping someone might be able to answer.
    > While at Best Buy today, I realized that I had, somehow, neglected to ever
    > purchase Caligari on DVD. The only version they had was the Hollywood
    > Classics Collection that was, if I remember correctly, about $6.00 or so.

    > held off on purchasing it in order to do some research online, and

    according
    > to Amazon, there are no less than four different DVD releases of it. The
    > most expensive appears to be the Kino Video version, retailing for $22.46,
    > followed by the so-called "Special Collector's Edition," it being $17.99.
    > The others are lower priced ones which, I am assuming, are not that great

    of
    > quality.
    >
    > Is there one version that everyone prefers in regards to this film? In
    > terms of picture quality, restoration, bonus features, etc.?
    >
    > Thanks for any and all information anyone can give. It is greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Brandon

    I would recommend the Image version. Its beautifully restored, run at the
    correct 18fps speed and has audio commentory and other extras to boot.
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/dvdpro/mycollection/styles/Default/dvd.asp?UPC=1438140992

    djskyler, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Brandon Wolgast

    jayembee Guest

    "Brandon Wolgast" <> wrote:

    > The only version they had was the Hollywood Classics
    > Collection that was, if I remember correctly, about $6.00
    > or so.

    In general, avoid Public Domain labels for this sort of thing.

    In specific, "Hollywood Classics" is an imprint of Madacy,
    which should be avoided at all costs.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Brandon Wolgast

    ML-78 Guest

    > Is there one version that everyone prefers in regards to this film?
    In
    > terms of picture quality, restoration, bonus features, etc.?

    There's a comparative review here between the Image and Kino versions
    (Kino wins):

    http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/caligari.htm

    Transit Film will probably release their own version and it will most
    likely be better than any of these but there's no announced date yet so
    it could take a while.

    ML-78

    ML-78, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Thanks to everyone that responded. Also, thank you for the link in order to
    compare the two versions. Again, thanks to everyone!

    Of course, the second I buy it, five more will come out. =)

    Brandon

    Brandon Wolgast, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Brandon Wolgast

    Arch Stanton Guest

    Of course, but thats the fun of DVD!!!! Buying the same films over and
    over as they improve them :p

    Arch Stanton, Jan 30, 2004
  7. Brandon Wolgast

    robert gray Guest

    AFAIK the Kino version has been licensed from Transit using the best
    available elements.

    robert gray, Feb 2, 2004