    it as well.

    I thought that this new transfer was to have been a 16x9 version.

    Anyone know?

    JohnW248, Oct 5, 2003

  2. JohnW248

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "JohnW248" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What happend to the "new" transfer. The disc has the same letterboxed
    > transfer they used before (at least on the two I've been through) and
    > has MPEG noise in it as well.
    >
    > I thought that this new transfer was to have been a 16x9 version.
    >
    > Anyone know?

    Maybe Warner is unloading the remainder of the old disks in a new box
    before they start shipping the re-mastered 16:9 version. Of course, it
    might not be a conspiracy at all since Warner DVD boxes are known for
    typos. Does the re-release _Cabaret_ box say that it is enhanced for
    widescreen TVs? Maybe Warner is just up to its old tricks and saying the
    disk is enhanced for widescreen TVs, when in fact, it isn't. That's what
    they did with the original _JFK_ and the current _Goodfellas_.

    The original _Cabaret_ DVD transfer was poorly done - very grainy, with
    lots of digital artifacts (low bite rate), especially during the latter
    half of the film.

    This has always been one of my favorite movies and if feel that it
    deserved a better transfer. There is one close up scene where Michael
    York quickly turns his head and his nose takes half a second to catch up
    with his face.

    I think that there actually is no re-mastered, anamorphic version and
    that Warner has just put the same old shit in a new package.

    But, even the Internet Movie Database says that the new _Cabaret_ is
    "Anamorphic Widescreen."

    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0068327/dvd

    Furthermore, the IMDB says that _Cabaret was no slouch at the 1973
    Oscars:

    Best Actor in a Supporting Role
    Joel Grey

    Best Actress in a Leading Role
    Liza Minnelli

    Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
    Rolf Zehetbauer
    Hans Jürgen Kiebach
    Herbert Strabel

    Best Cinematography
    Geoffrey Unsworth

    Best Director
    Bob Fosse

    Best Film Editing
    David Bretherton

    Best Music, Scoring Original Song Score and/or Adaptation
    Ralph Burns

    Best Sound
    Robert Knudson
    David Hildyard

    Who knows why Warner is treating _Cabaret_ like a bastard child.

    Scot Gardner, Oct 5, 2003