    Mark A. R. Knight finger:
    Tel: +44 7973 410732 http://www.knigma.org/
    s/spam/markk/g
    Mark Knight, Jan 2, 2010

  2. Mark Knight

    make Guest

    I didnt find any info about this firmware 3.9.221 in Cisco web pages.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...rs/ps380/ps6200/prod_qas0900aecd8028a982.html
    Q. Is there a way to load different firmware apart from that embedded with
    the Cisco IOS Software?
    A. Yes. This option is available for the ADSL platforms (857, 876, 877, and
    877M) to allow independent ADSL firmware upgrade to resolve ADSL
    interoperability related issues. There's no need to upgrade Cisco IOS
    software when the issue can be resolved with a different version of
    firmware.

    https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps221/prod_bulletin0900aecd801d5c4c.html

    make, Jan 3, 2010

  3. Mark Knight

    Mark Knight Guest

    Mark Knight, Jan 3, 2010
  4. Mark Knight

    bod43 Guest

    On 3 Jan, 12:07, Mark Knight <> wrote:
    > In message <ezZ%m.59330$>, make
    > <> writes
    >
    > >I didnt find any info about this firmware 3.9.221 in Cisco web pages.

    > Indeed, but various historic posts including this one reference 3.9.221:
    >
    >  http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1145043.html
    >
    > I'm assuming not all posts make it onto the various Cisco external
    > sites.

    The firmware for
    2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
    3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
    4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
    5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M

    and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here

    ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

    No mention of 837.

    Have you tried

    int atm 0
    dsl firmware secondary

    https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/820/software/configuration/guide/advconf.html

    Maybe updates are available from alcatel?
    bod43, Jan 3, 2010
  5. Mark Knight

    Rob Guest

    bod43 <> wrote:
    > The firmware for
    > 2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
    > 3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
    > 4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
    > 5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M
    >
    > and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here
    >
    > ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
    >
    > No mention of 837.

    I have searched for firmware for the 877 a while ago and I found the
    file adsl_alc_20190_4.0.018.bin via the cisco site. I installed it
    on the router (it needs to be renamed...) and it has improved the
    performance of the ADSL modem dramatically over the builtin code in
    IOS (which was a 3.x version).

    No idea if one can use this software on an 837.
    Rob, Jan 3, 2010
  6. Rob <> writes:
    >bod43 <> wrote:
    >> The firmware for
    >> 2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
    >> 3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
    >> 4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
    >> 5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M
    >>
    >> and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
    >>
    >> No mention of 837.

    >I have searched for firmware for the 877 a while ago and I found the
    >file adsl_alc_20190_4.0.018.bin via the cisco site. I installed it
    >on the router (it needs to be renamed...) and it has improved the
    >performance of the ADSL modem dramatically over the builtin code in
    >IOS (which was a 3.x version).

    >No idea if one can use this software on an 837.

    Pretty doubtful since the ADSL chip on an 837 is a Globespan, not an Alcatel.

    Newer IOS revs come with their own firmware images mainly, upgrading
    to such-and-such IOS image may give you newer firmware than you can
    find seperately.
    Doug McIntyre, Jan 3, 2010
  7. Mark Knight

    Rob Guest

    Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > Newer IOS revs come with their own firmware images mainly, upgrading
    > to such-and-such IOS image may give you newer firmware than you can
    > find seperately.

    We bought the 877 new about 3 months ago.
    It came with an IOS in which ntp was broken because of a hardware change.
    Someone on this group advised me to update the IOS, I did that and the
    ntp was working, but in both IOS versions the ADSL firmware is the same
    ancient one.

    After downloading the newer version 4 firmware and installing it separately
    in the flash, the problem we had with ADSL (at first the line is OK but
    SNR is decreasing all the time and after some time a re-train is forced)
    was completely solved.

    I don't know why those boxes are shipped with IOS not matching the
    hardware, and old ADSL firmware. But fortunately it was fixable.
    Rob, Jan 3, 2010
  8. Rob <> writes:
    >Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    >> Newer IOS revs come with their own firmware images mainly, upgrading
    >> to such-and-such IOS image may give you newer firmware than you can
    >> find seperately.

    >We bought the 877 new about 3 months ago.
    >It came with an IOS in which ntp was broken because of a hardware change.
    >Someone on this group advised me to update the IOS, I did that and the
    >ntp was working, but in both IOS versions the ADSL firmware is the same
    >ancient one.

    >After downloading the newer version 4 firmware and installing it separately
    >in the flash, the problem we had with ADSL (at first the line is OK but
    >SNR is decreasing all the time and after some time a re-train is forced)
    >was completely solved.

    >I don't know why those boxes are shipped with IOS not matching the
    >hardware, and old ADSL firmware. But fortunately it was fixable.

    Right, sometimes from IOS rev to rev, the firmware rev stays the same.
    But they can ship a new card firmware in a newer IOS rev as well.
    Some future IOS rev you upgrade to may have a newer bug fixed one
    compared to what you are force running now.

    Such is the nature of things. :(
    Doug McIntyre, Jan 4, 2010
  9. Mark Knight

    bod43 Guest

    On 3 Jan, 18:27, Rob <> wrote:
    > bod43 <> wrote:
    > > The firmware for
    > > 2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
    > > 3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
    > > 4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
    > > 5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M

    > > and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here

    > >ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

    > > No mention of 837.

    > I have searched for firmware for the 877 a while ago and I found the
    > file adsl_alc_20190_4.0.018.bin via the cisco site.  I installed it

    Thanks for that. Cisco seem to now put new ADSL
    firmware on the main software download page. Of course
    this means that you need an account to see it.

    The ftp site is still there but there is newer firmware on
    the main site now.
    bod43, Feb 5, 2010
  10. Mark Knight

    Rob Guest

    bod43 <> wrote:
    > On 3 Jan, 18:27, Rob <> wrote:
    >> bod43 <> wrote:
    >> > The firmware for
    >> > 2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
    >> > 3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
    >> > 4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
    >> > 5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M

    >> > and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here

    >> >ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

    >> > No mention of 837.

    >> I have searched for firmware for the 877 a while ago and I found the
    >> file adsl_alc_20190_4.0.018.bin via the cisco site.  I installed it

    > Thanks for that. Cisco seem to now put new ADSL
    > firmware on the main software download page. Of course
    > this means that you need an account to see it.
    >
    > The ftp site is still there but there is newer firmware on
    > the main site now.

    Remember that you need to rename the file (remove the version number)
    otherwise it will not work.
    Rob, Feb 5, 2010