C7200 Memory upgrade questions..

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Peter, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hi Folks,

    Last night I was tasked to perform a memory upgrade on a 7204 from
    64MB to 128MB for an IOS upgrade requiring the extra memory, and was
    given a 64MB RAM kit (supplied by Cisco). The package that arrived
    contained 2 x SIMMS, each SIMM had a label on it that indicated it was
    64MB!!!

    Upon pulling the NPE-200 I found all 4 SIMM slots occupied, with 2
    different SIMM manufacturers in there and while one pair were labeled
    as 16MB EACH, the other pair had no clear indication what size they
    were, however logic indicated they were probably 16MB SIMMS as well. I
    did note that all Memory present seemed to be in matched pairs. At
    this point it became clear we would be short of the 128MB we needed.

    I pulled all existing memory, inserted the new ones into slots 1 & 2
    (applying the largest SIMMS first rule), and kept 1 existing pair of
    SIMMS for slots 3 & 4. The result was 96MB (64 + 32) of RAM.

    Question 1: Is there a reliable way to display the SIMM sizes
    currently installed on a running 7200 without pulling the NPE card and
    taking a physical look?

    Question 2: Do Cisco normally label such a dual set of SIMMS with a
    label reading each SIMM as the TOTAL of the pair??? I would have
    expected each new SIMM to be labeled as 32MB, not 64MB...

    Thanks...........pk.

    --
    *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***

    Peter, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Hello, Peter!
    You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:22:36 +1200:

    P> Question 1: Is there a reliable way to display the SIMM sizes
    P> currently installed on a running 7200 without pulling the NPE
    P> card and taking a physical look?

    It's not the answer you are looking for but on 2600 running IOS 12.3(5) "show
    c2600" command gives the required information. I have no idea when it was
    introduced and if this functionality exists on 7200 platform. I would appreciate
    If somebody can shed some light on this topic.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Peter

    Ben Guest

    From the Cisco site:

    NPE-200 Memory Information
    Table 1-5 provides information about memory specifications. Table 1-6
    provides memory configurations for the NPE-200.

    Table 1-5 NPE-200 Memory Specifications

    Memory Type Size Quantity Description Component Location on
    the NPE-200 Board
    DRAM
    32 to 128 MB
    2 to 4
    16- or 32-MB SIMMs (based on maximum DRAM required)
    Bank 0: U11 and U25
    Bank 1: U42 and U52

    SRAM
    4 MB
    8
    8 chips, each being 512K x 8 bits wide
    U6, U10, U13, U14, U28, U29, U38, and U39

    Boot ROM
    256 KB
    1
    EPROM for the ROM monitor programs
    U92

    Primary cache
    -
    -
    R5000 processor, internal cache
    U44

    Secondary cache
    512 KB
    4
    R5000 processor, unified, external cache
    U16, U9, U109, and U107

    Table 1-6 NPE-200 DRAM SIMM Configurations-Configurable Memory Only

    Total DRAM1 Bank 0 Quantity - Bank 0 Bank 1 Quantity - Bank
    1 Product Number
    32 MB
    U11 and U25
    2 16-MB SIMMs
    U42 and U52
    -
    MEM-NPE-32MB2

    64 MB
    U11 and U25
    2 32-MB SIMMs
    U42 and U52
    -
    MEM-NPE-64MB2

    128 MB
    U11 and U25
    2 32-MB SIMMs
    U42 and U52
    2 32-MB SIMMs
    MEM-NPE-128MB2

    1 Refer to the Cisco AS5800 Universal Access Server documentation
    listed in the "Related Documentation" section for Cisco AS5800 Universal
    Access Server DRAM options.

    2 These products are also available as DRAM upgrades. For example, to
    upgrade a network processing engine from 32 MB to 64 MB of DRAM, order
    Product Number MEM-NPE-64MB=.

    It would appear you have 4x16mb in there - a show version would verify this
    anyway.

    e.g. ROUTER#sh ver
    <snip>
    cisco 7204VXR (NPE225) processor (revision A) with
    245760K/16384K bytes of memory.

    Try replacing the 4 simms with the 2 new ones and issue a show version to
    see if you truly have 64mb or 128mb of new RAM.

    I have actually experienced a similar thing with 5400's - extra memory
    appearing from Cisco. I choose not to question it too closely!!!

    Ben, Apr 18, 2004