    keep the cabling neat over time.

    --
    Please send spam to:

    Harv Ester, Mar 12, 2006

  2. Harv Ester

    J Guest

    Harv Ester wrote:
    > How do you manage the dense cabling at the front of a C6509 with 48-port
    > 6748 cards? I'd like to put one C6509 with 288 ports at each end of a
    > multi-rack patch field, and am wondering whether to connect patch cords
    > directly from the patch field onto the ports of the 6748 cards; or to
    > first connect every port on the 6748 cards to some less-dense patch
    > panels (2U 48-jack panels, with 2U of horizontal management between each
    > panel), and then connect patch cords between those patch panels and the
    > patch field.
    >
    > My experience has been that if you do add/remove/change maintenance with
    > the patch cords direct to the front of the 6509, then it's difficult to
    > keep the cabling neat over time.

    Install the 6509 wiring management brackets on both sides of the
    chassis. Part the ports down the middle and route it out through the
    side brackets. Never route all 48 ports over to one side. It just
    won't work out well. Route the cables on the side opposite the
    punchdown panels up through vertical management and over the top of the
    6509 through 2U horizontal wire management to the panels. Don't stuff
    the wire management full. I'd not go over 48 cables in a 2U unit. Buy
    more wire management instead of cramming them all in one 2U unit. I'd
    recommend using velco (keep it loose) to create bundles of wires end to
    end. Somewhere you need to have a slack drop (unless you custom cut
    your cables. It will stay neat for the long-haul if you spend a few
    hours laying the foundation in the beginning.

    Best of luck

    J, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Harv Ester

    thrill5 Guest

    The best way to keep the cables neat is to not use patch cables at all. We
    wire all of the ports on the switch to a 110-block. We install patch panels
    in the server cabinets and the other end of the patch panel is wired to a
    110-block. All patching is then done with cross-connect wire. This is very
    expensive to install, but has big dividends in the end. This is very
    controversial, and not every one is a believer. Closets are wired in the
    same fashion. I have been doing it this way for about 10 years, and the
    many companies I have worked for, all thought I was crazy until it was
    implemented. Have to swap out a card? no problem, takes about 10 minutes
    because all the cables in the switch are velcroed together and numbered.
    Unclip the RJ45's pull the cable out of the way, pull the card, reinsert
    cables. Dividends are also paid when you need to move a connection from one
    switch to the other, you just move a cross-connect. The cross-connect
    method also makes tracing cables very, very easy, which can be next to
    impossible with patch cables after a couple of years and you have cable
    spaghetti. Again, as I said before, this is very expensive on the front
    end. Costs about $2k per 48-port card to wire, and you need to plan and
    reserve space for the cross-connect field. Cat5e and Cat6 has a distance
    limit of about 25-feet for cross-connections, so if you don't plan the
    cross-connect field properly, you can easily exceed this in a big data
    center. You also need big cabinets for the 6500's, but this is the case
    even if you patch directly to them. 24" cabinets are not wide enough for
    all the cables on the side and so 36" wide cabinets are the norm. In a big
    company the other advantage (or disadvantage, depending on how you look at
    it) is that all cabling is done when the card is installed for the switches,
    and all the cable for server cabinets is done when they are installed. The
    only thing that needs to be done for a new connection is to install a new
    cross-connect, which can be done in about 5 minutes.

    Scott

    thrill5, Mar 19, 2006