C5050 and CC flash cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ken Scharf, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. Ken Scharf

    Ken Scharf Guest

    I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
    I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
    I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
    use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.

    I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
    wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
    work fine, as do my old SM cards.

    Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
    have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
    with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
    broken?)

    I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
    Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
    a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
    in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
    isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
    since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
    drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

    Ken Scharf, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Ken Scharf

    M. Souris Guest

    Don't know what you mean by a CC flash card. The 5050 works superbly
    with compact flash cards, up to 2 gb capacity, I believe. I use 512
    mb cards with no problem.

    M. Souris, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Ken Scharf

    Dave Guest

    Dave, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Ken Scharf

    Nick C Guest

    "Ken Scharf" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
    > I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
    > I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
    > use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
    >
    > I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
    > wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
    > work fine, as do my old SM cards.
    >
    > Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
    > have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
    > with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
    > broken?)
    >
    > I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
    > Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
    > a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
    > in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
    > isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
    > since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
    > drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

    Congratulations, the C5050 is a fine camera.

    For the sake of expediency, I'll assume the CC card is a CF card and will
    address to that.

    I have the C5050 too and have been trying to use it more often rather than
    using my other cameras. I use Compact Flash cards and Smart Media cards
    (because I already have them) and generally haven't had any problems with
    the camera reading the cards.

    BUT ..... at one time I did have a peculiar problem with one Compact Flash
    card. The camera would not see the card. I couldn't even format the card yet
    the same card would work well in my Nikon D100. I took the card to my local
    camera store and tried using the card in other digicams. It worked well in
    Canon and Nikon cameras, but not in Olympus cameras. The card even worked
    well when used with a PCMCIA reader in my lap top, but not in an Olympus
    camera. Shrug.

    I've asked several people who also have Olympus Cameras if they had
    encountered similar problems and no one has, so haven't any explanation as
    to what was causing the problem. Other than the problem encountered with
    that one card, all other cards have worked well in the C5050.

    nick

    Nick C, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Ken Scharf

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Nick C wrote:
    > "Ken Scharf" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
    >>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
    >>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
    >>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
    >>
    >>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
    >>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
    >>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
    >>
    >>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
    >>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
    >>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
    >>broken?)
    >>
    >>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
    >>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
    >>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
    >>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
    >>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
    >>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
    >>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

    > Congratulations, the C5050 is a fine camera.
    >
    > For the sake of expediency, I'll assume the CC card is a CF card and will
    > address to that.
    >
    > I have the C5050 too and have been trying to use it more often rather than
    > using my other cameras. I use Compact Flash cards and Smart Media cards
    > (because I already have them) and generally haven't had any problems with
    > the camera reading the cards.
    >
    > BUT ..... at one time I did have a peculiar problem with one Compact Flash
    > card. The camera would not see the card. I couldn't even format the card yet
    > the same card would work well in my Nikon D100. I took the card to my local
    > camera store and tried using the card in other digicams. It worked well in
    > Canon and Nikon cameras, but not in Olympus cameras. The card even worked
    > well when used with a PCMCIA reader in my lap top, but not in an Olympus
    > camera. Shrug.
    >
    > I've asked several people who also have Olympus Cameras if they had
    > encountered similar problems and no one has, so haven't any explanation as
    > to what was causing the problem. Other than the problem encountered with
    > that one card, all other cards have worked well in the C5050.
    >
    > nick

    My experience was identical to yours, it was as if there wasn't
    even any memory card installed in the camera.

    I guess if I try to buy another Compact Flash card, I'll bring the
    camera along and try it out first. However from what I've read the
    XD cards are a little faster (though they DO cost more than CCF and
    are not available as dense, though they are catching up.)
    So since XD cards are available, and would suit my needs as well
    nothing lost. I just know now I can't look on ebay for a buy on
    CCF cards unless I would have the right to return an uncompatible
    card. As far as the CCF sized micro drives, they were a good idea
    last year, but non-rotating memorys have surpassed them in speed
    and lower power comsumption.

    Ken Scharf, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Ken Scharf

    Nick C Guest

    "Ken Scharf" <> wrote in message
    > Nick C wrote:
    > > "Ken Scharf" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
    > >>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
    > >>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
    > >>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
    > >>
    > >>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
    > >>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
    > >>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
    > >>
    > >>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
    > >>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
    > >>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
    > >>broken?)
    > >>
    > >>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
    > >>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
    > >>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
    > >>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
    > >>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
    > >>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
    > >>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

    > > Congratulations, the C5050 is a fine camera.
    > >
    > > For the sake of expediency, I'll assume the CC card is a CF card and

    will
    > > address to that.
    > >
    > > I have the C5050 too and have been trying to use it more often rather

    than
    > > using my other cameras. I use Compact Flash cards and Smart Media cards
    > > (because I already have them) and generally haven't had any problems

    with
    > > the camera reading the cards.
    > >
    > > BUT ..... at one time I did have a peculiar problem with one Compact

    Flash
    > > card. The camera would not see the card. I couldn't even format the card

    yet
    > > the same card would work well in my Nikon D100. I took the card to my

    local
    > > camera store and tried using the card in other digicams. It worked well

    in
    > > Canon and Nikon cameras, but not in Olympus cameras. The card even

    worked
    > > well when used with a PCMCIA reader in my lap top, but not in an Olympus
    > > camera. Shrug.
    > >
    > > I've asked several people who also have Olympus Cameras if they had
    > > encountered similar problems and no one has, so haven't any explanation

    as
    > > to what was causing the problem. Other than the problem encountered with
    > > that one card, all other cards have worked well in the C5050.
    > >
    > > nick
    > >

    > My experience was identical to yours, it was as if there wasn't
    > even any memory card installed in the camera.

    That's right. The Olympus C5050 would not recognize the card being installed
    though the card in question was usable in most other instances. I still have
    the card and sometimes use it with a PCMCIA reader to store large pictures
    saved as Tiff that I will later work on in another computer.

    > I guess if I try to buy another Compact Flash card, I'll bring the
    > camera along and try it out first. However from what I've read the
    > XD cards are a little faster (though they DO cost more than CCF and
    > are not available as dense, though they are catching up.)
    > So since XD cards are available, and would suit my needs as well
    > nothing lost. I just know now I can't look on ebay for a buy on
    > CCF cards unless I would have the right to return an uncompatible
    > card. As far as the CCF sized micro drives, they were a good idea
    > last year, but non-rotating memorys have surpassed them in speed
    > and lower power comsumption.

    As a matter of opinion, I don't think it wise to buy memory cards auctioned
    on e-Bay. CF cards by Lexar are good too. I have severel Lexar 40X cards (CF
    and SD) that I use in my Canon 1D MkII and they are fast. PNY cards are
    supposed to be good too. I have a couple of those but I think the Lexar
    cards are a tad better.

    nick

    nick

    Nick C, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Ken Scharf

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <lrSTc.121$>,
    Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
    >I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
    >I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
    >use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
    >
    >I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
    >wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
    >work fine, as do my old SM cards.
    >
    >Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
    >have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
    >with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
    >broken?)
    >
    >I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
    >Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
    >a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
    >in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
    >isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
    >since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
    >drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

    I seem to remember some CF compatibility issues with earlier versions of
    the C5050 firmware. If you bought a reconditioned camera then this, of
    course, brings up the logical next question of who reconditioned it and
    what exactly was done ... including whether the firware was updated to the
    latest rev in the process.

    You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.

    Mike S., Aug 17, 2004
  8. Ken Scharf

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > In article <lrSTc.121$>,
    > Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
    >>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
    >>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
    >>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
    >>
    >>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
    >>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
    >>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
    >>
    >>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
    >>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
    >>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
    >>broken?)
    >>
    >>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
    >>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
    >>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
    >>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
    >>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
    >>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
    >>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

    > I seem to remember some CF compatibility issues with earlier versions of
    > the C5050 firmware. If you bought a reconditioned camera then this, of
    > course, brings up the logical next question of who reconditioned it and
    > what exactly was done ... including whether the firware was updated to the
    > latest rev in the process.
    >
    > You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.

    The camera came in a factory box labeled as reconditioned,
    so it appears to have been so marked by Olympus.

    How do I bring up the firmware rev for display (still trying to
    figure out how to use all the features of this camera!)
    and what is a current revision code?

    I understand it IS possible to upgrade the firmware yourself
    by downloading a firmware image from the Olympus web site and
    copying to a folder on a flashcard and power cycling the
    camera. (But this scares me about as much as re-flashing the
    bios on my computer!)

    Ken Scharf, Aug 19, 2004
  9. Ken Scharf

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <%KSUc.758$>,
    Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >Mike S. wrote:
    >> In article <lrSTc.121$>,
    >> Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
    >>>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
    >>>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
    >>>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
    >>>
    >>>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
    >>>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
    >>>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
    >>>
    >>>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
    >>>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
    >>>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
    >>>broken?)
    >>>
    >>>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
    >>>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
    >>>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
    >>>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
    >>>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
    >>>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
    >>>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

    >> I seem to remember some CF compatibility issues with earlier versions of
    >> the C5050 firmware. If you bought a reconditioned camera then this, of
    >> course, brings up the logical next question of who reconditioned it and
    >> what exactly was done ... including whether the firware was updated to the
    >> latest rev in the process.
    >>
    >> You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.
    >>

    >The camera came in a factory box labeled as reconditioned,
    >so it appears to have been so marked by Olympus.
    >
    >How do I bring up the firmware rev for display (still trying to
    >figure out how to use all the features of this camera!)

    I answered that, in the text you quoted immediately above.

    >and what is a current revision code?

    V558-82 AFAIK.

    See http://wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-firmware.html

    Mike S., Aug 19, 2004
  10. Ken Scharf

    Dave Guest

    Ken Scharf <> wrote in message news:<%KSUc.758$>...

    > I understand it IS possible to upgrade the firmware yourself
    > by downloading a firmware image from the Olympus web site and
    > copying to a folder on a flashcard and power cycling the
    > camera. (But this scares me about as much as re-flashing the
    > bios on my computer!)

    It was actually pretty easy and is well-documented on the Olympus 5050
    Support Group:
    http://groups.msn.com/OlympusCamedia5050SupportGroup/messages.msnw

    Just make sure you have fresh batteries, make sure you have fresh
    batteries, and make sure you have fresh batteries.

    BTW – I haven't noticed much of a performance difference since the
    upgrade, but YMMV.

    Dave

    ---
    View my photo gear for sale on eBay:
    http://tinyurl.com/x810

    Dave, Aug 19, 2004
  11. Ken Scharf

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > In article <%KSUc.758$>,
    > Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mike S. wrote:

    >>>I seem to remember some CF compatibility issues with earlier versions of
    >>>the C5050 firmware. If you bought a reconditioned camera then this, of
    >>>course, brings up the logical next question of who reconditioned it and
    >>>what exactly was done ... including whether the firware was updated to the
    >>>latest rev in the process.
    >>>
    >>>You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.
    >>>

    >>The camera came in a factory box labeled as reconditioned,
    >>so it appears to have been so marked by Olympus.
    >>
    >>How do I bring up the firmware rev for display (still trying to
    >>figure out how to use all the features of this camera!)

    > I answered that, in the text you quoted immediately above.

    Well you partly answered that
    >>>You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.

    OK what camera menu does the EXIF data appear in and what exactly
    IS EXIF data? Or is this embedded in the jpeg file?
    I am NOT running the Camedia software, I am running Linux and
    mount my camera as a USB storage device. I use the GIMP to
    touch up and print my photos.

    Ken Scharf, Aug 21, 2004
  12. Ken Scharf

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <1WvVc.4342$>,
    Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >Mike S. wrote:
    >> In article <%KSUc.758$>,
    >> Ken Scharf <> wrote:

    >>>The camera came in a factory box labeled as reconditioned,
    >>>so it appears to have been so marked by Olympus.
    >>>
    >>>How do I bring up the firmware rev for display (still trying to
    >>>figure out how to use all the features of this camera!)

    >> I answered that, in the text you quoted immediately above.
    >>

    >Well you partly answered that

    >OK what camera menu does the EXIF data appear in and what exactly
    >IS EXIF data? Or is this embedded in the jpeg file?

    Sorry for not being more explicit. Yes, it's embedded in the beginning of
    the JPEG file - at byte 0x112 on a sample image I just pulled up.

    The older firmware - specifically V558-77 and earlier - had compatibility
    issues with certain brand/size combinations of CD cards.

    Mike S., Aug 21, 2004
  13. Ken Scharf

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > In article <%KSUc.758$>,
    > Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mike S. wrote:

    >>>I seem to remember some CF compatibility issues with earlier versions of
    >>>the C5050 firmware. If you bought a reconditioned camera then this, of
    >>>course, brings up the logical next question of who reconditioned it and
    >>>what exactly was done ... including whether the firware was updated to the
    >>>latest rev in the process.
    >>>
    >>>You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.
    >>>

    >>The camera came in a factory box labeled as reconditioned,
    >>so it appears to have been so marked by Olympus.
    >>
    >>How do I bring up the firmware rev for display (still trying to
    >>figure out how to use all the features of this camera!)

    > I answered that, in the text you quoted immediately above.
    >

    >>and what is a current revision code?

    > V558-82 AFAIK.
    >

    >>I understand it IS possible to upgrade the firmware yourself
    >>by downloading a firmware image from the Olympus web site and
    >>copying to a folder on a flashcard and power cycling the
    >>camera. (But this scares me about as much as re-flashing the
    >>bios on my computer!)

    > See http://wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-firmware.html

    Found it. Linux software to read the tags.
    here is a dump
    Equipment Make: OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTD
    Camera Model: C5050Z
    Camera Software: v558-78
    Maximum Lens Aperture: f/1.8

    Image-Specific Properties:

    Image Orientation: Top, Left-Hand
    Horizontal Resolution: 72 dpi
    Vertical Resolution: 72 dpi
    Image Created: 2004:08:18 18:04:42
    Exposure Time: 1/30 sec
    F-Number: f/1.8
    Exposure Program: Normal Program
    ISO Speed Rating: 100
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Light Source: Unknown
    Flash: Flash, Compulsory
    Focal Length: 8.20 mm
    Color Space Information: sRGB
    Image Width: 2560
    Image Height: 1920
    Rendering: Normal
    Exposure Mode: Auto
    White Balance: Auto
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: Low Gain Up
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Compression Setting: SQ
    Macro Mode: Normal

    Ken Scharf, Aug 21, 2004
  14. Ken Scharf

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > In article <1WvVc.4342$>,
    > Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mike S. wrote:

    > Sorry for not being more explicit. Yes, it's embedded in the beginning of
    > the JPEG file - at byte 0x112 on a sample image I just pulled up.
    >
    > The older firmware - specifically V558-77 and earlier - had compatibility
    > issues with certain brand/size combinations of CD cards.

    Seems my camera's firmware is :
    Camera Software: v558-78

    So it's just one version later than the one you quoted.
    Maybe a problem?

    BTW I did find a Linux program called EXIFtags that
    dumps this info. Cool, didn't know about that.
    A Google search on EXIF and Linux found it.

    Ken Scharf, Aug 21, 2004
  15. Ken Scharf

    M. Souris Guest

    I had no problems with different CF cards when I was using v558-78,
    and none after upgrading to 82 either.

    M. Souris, Aug 21, 2004
  16. Ken Scharf

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <GLyVc.5523$%>,
    Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >Mike S. wrote:
    >> In article <1WvVc.4342$>,
    >> Ken Scharf <> wrote:

    >> Sorry for not being more explicit. Yes, it's embedded in the beginning of
    >> the JPEG file - at byte 0x112 on a sample image I just pulled up.
    >>
    >> The older firmware - specifically V558-77 and earlier - had compatibility
    >> issues with certain brand/size combinations of CD cards.
    >>

    >Seems my camera's firmware is :
    >Camera Software: v558-78
    >
    >So it's just one version later than the one you quoted.
    >Maybe a problem?

    I stopped following this after a while, but did not see any reports of CF
    card compatibility issues with v558-78. That was my original firmware too,
    and I had no issues (but I updated to v558-82 'just because' anyway).

    Mike S., Aug 21, 2004