    --
    Chris Green

    , Oct 11, 2010

  2. Guest

    Andy Burns <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > What sort of minimum bandwidth do these require to work decently?

    > Depends what codec they negotiate with the other end (or the gateway
    > inbetween), generally between 8 and 64kbps per call.

    I was looking at that, the C475IP at home simply has a list of
    possible Codecs:-
    G722
    G721
    G726
    G729

    These are all listed under the 'Selected Codecs' column, I could
    remove one or more of them to see what happens I guess.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Oct 11, 2010

  3. Guest

    Andy Burns <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > the C475IP at home simply has a list of
    > > possible Codecs:-
    > > G722
    > > G721
    > > G726
    > > G729
    > >
    > > These are all listed under the 'Selected Codecs' column, I could
    > > remove one or more of them to see what happens I guess.

    > the G.711 and G.721 ones are the greediest, however they're effectively
    > the backstop codecs that almost everything should support, so you might
    > get failed calls if you disable them.

    Oops, that should say G711 not G721 of course (as you guessed/assumed).

    > What internet connectivity does the boat have?

    A 3G dongle so the bandwidth varies considerably depending on what
    sort of connection it negotiates.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Oct 11, 2010
  4. In article <>, <> wrote:
    >Andy Burns <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > the C475IP at home simply has a list of
    >> > possible Codecs:-
    >> > G722
    >> > G721
    >> > G726
    >> > G729
    >> >
    >> > These are all listed under the 'Selected Codecs' column, I could
    >> > remove one or more of them to see what happens I guess.

    >> the G.711 and G.721 ones are the greediest, however they're effectively
    >> the backstop codecs that almost everything should support, so you might
    >> get failed calls if you disable them.
    >>

    >Oops, that should say G711 not G721 of course (as you guessed/assumed).
    >
    >> What internet connectivity does the boat have?

    >A 3G dongle so the bandwidth varies considerably depending on what
    >sort of connection it negotiates.

    Using VoIP (SIP) there is a 16Kb/sec overhead to the codec payload. So
    G711 is 64Kbps + 16Kbps = 80Kbbps *each way*

    G729 is 8Kbps + 16Kbps = 24Kbps *each way*

    I've made VoIP video calls over 3G before (220Kbps each way) - a lot
    will depend on where you are and what network you're using.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 11, 2010