    mmark751969 Guest

    Does a cisco 1841 with c1841-ipbase-mz.124-3i.bin flash have any
    firewall capability. Thanks
    mmark751969, Apr 18, 2009

  2. mmark751969

    bod43 Guest

    On 18 Apr, 20:12, mmark751969 <> wrote:
    > Does a cisco 1841 with c1841-ipbase-mz.124-3i.bin flash have any
    > firewall capability.  Thanks

    Well that depends on what you mean.

    You can do access-lists and with reflexive access lists
    you can arrange to allow "return" traffic back in to the router.
    There is also "TCP established".

    You do not get any intrusion prevention, control of web surfing,
    e-mail protection, virus scanning redirection, point to point
    or remote access VPNs. There is no payload inspection of
    any kind.
    bod43, Apr 19, 2009

  3. mmark751969

    mmark751969 Guest

    On Apr 19, 1:53 am, bod43 <> wrote:
    > On 18 Apr, 20:12, mmark751969 <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does a cisco 1841 with c1841-ipbase-mz.124-3i.bin flash have any
    > > firewall capability.  Thanks

    > Well that depends on what you mean.
    >
    > You can do access-lists and with reflexive access lists
    > you can arrange to allow "return" traffic back in to the router.
    > There is also "TCP established".
    >
    > You do not get any intrusion prevention, control of web surfing,
    > e-mail protection, virus scanning redirection, point to point
    > or remote access VPNs. There is no payload inspection of
    > any kind.

    Yes - ok. My main concern was was that there would be basic
    firewalling services(port blocking, services blocking)against hacking
    from outside traffic coming in. The router was purchased and emplaced
    in the network behind a cable modem. Just looking through sdm once(i
    normally work from command line). I noticed that it didn't render
    anything when the firewall tab was clicked. So i got concerned about
    that. I can't ping the router, or get to any services that the
    servers are running internally, from the outside, without allowing it
    in with a ip nat inside source static statment. So it seems that the
    router/firewall is protecting the internal network from hacking.
    mmark751969, Apr 19, 2009
  4. "mmark751969" <> wrote in message

    > So it seems that the
    > router/firewall is protecting the internal network from hacking.

    Good protection must have outbound filtering too with special accent on
    detection of tunneling trough protocols allowed outbound from your LAN.
    People often think that they are safe when they can't communicate with LAN
    from the outside world, but many common attacks are conducted by activating
    "something" on inside hosts that allows communication with my "attacker"
    computer on the Internet.
    Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto, Apr 20, 2009