    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"
    Alasdair Baxter, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Alasdair Baxter

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Alasdair Baxter <> wrote in
    news::

    > I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
    >
    > When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
    > routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
    > icons/shortcuts.
    >
    > It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
    > before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
    > stopped with the desktop in place.
    >
    > Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
    > can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
    > suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
    > scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.

    It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has been
    placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way. Or
    somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or looked at by
    the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the Win 2K O/S, has
    and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see how you can get a
    version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K O/S.

    That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the start
    process.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Alasdair Baxter

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:21:57 +0000, Alasdair Baxter wrote:

    >I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
    >
    >When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
    >routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
    >icons/shortcuts.
    >
    >It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
    >before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
    >stopped with the desktop in place.
    >
    >Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
    >can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
    >suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
    >scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.

    You could try www.google.com or searching 24HSHD from Google Groups.

    That Computer Guy's Help Forum -> system 32 window opens at start ...
    .... 25-October 04 Member No.: 5,654, Hi, The system 32 folder opens
    every time I ... Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe C ...
    http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/index.php?showtopic=7332&view=getlastpost
    - 55k - Cached - Similar pages

    PC Magazine: Windows Explorer Displays System32 Folder at Start-Up
    .... I don't know whether my problem is related to the new additions, but
    when I start up now, the C:\WINNT\System32 folder opens automatically.
    www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdpcm/is_200312/ai_ziff113683 - 18k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Windows2000 Tips
    .... System32 Folder Opens When Logging On. ... If the System32 folder
    shows on the desktop, there may ... Change the "My Computer" at end of
    @C:\WINNT\system32\shell32.dll ...
    www.onecomputerguy.com/windows2000_tips.htm - 32k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    There may also be an MS article for this.

    That wasn't too difficult.

    Me
    why?, Nov 7, 2004
  4. Alasdair Baxter

    Rosita Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > Alasdair Baxter <> wrote in
    >
    >> I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
    >>
    >> When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
    >> routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
    >> icons/shortcuts.
    >>
    >> It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
    >> before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
    >> stopped with the desktop in place.
    >>
    >> Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
    >> can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
    >> suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
    >> scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.
    >>

    > It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has been
    > placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way. Or
    > somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or looked at by
    > the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the Win 2K O/S, has
    > and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see how you can get a
    > version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K O/S.
    >
    > That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the start
    > process.
    >
    > Duane :)

    I joined this group to post my same exact problem as Baxter. I have WinXP
    and i went into my Start-up folder and i saw that there was a folder named
    WINDOWS, it is empty. Should i remove it so the /System32 won't show up when
    i turn on my computer?

    Thanks,
    Rosa
    Rosita, Nov 7, 2004
  5. Alasdair Baxter

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Rosita" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> Alasdair Baxter <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
    >>>
    >>> When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the
    >>> usual routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
    >>> icons/shortcuts.
    >>>
    >>> It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
    >>> before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
    >>> stopped with the desktop in place.
    >>>
    >>> Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what
    >>> I can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up?
    >>> I suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I
    >>> am scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.
    >>>

    >> It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has
    >> been placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way.
    >> Or somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or
    >> looked at by the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the
    >> Win 2K O/S, has and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see
    >> how you can get a version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K
    >> O/S.
    >>
    >> That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the
    >> start process.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > I joined this group to post my same exact problem as Baxter. I have
    > WinXP and i went into my Start-up folder and i saw that there was a
    > folder named WINDOWS, it is empty. Should i remove it so the /System32
    > won't show up when i turn on my computer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rosa

    What should be in the Start-up folder are programs or short-cuts to other
    programs you want started when you logon the computer. Take as an example
    if you're using Outlook. You can take the short-cut for Outlook Express
    and copy/paste it into the Start-up folder and Outlook Express will be
    stated and waiting for you by the time you get to the desktop or shortly
    there after. You should delete the Windows folder in the Start-up folder
    if it's empty it should not be there. That would be in All Users and your
    account nodes under the Document and Settings node when you right-click
    the Start-button and select Explorer.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 7, 2004
  6. Alasdair Baxter

    Eric Guest

    > "Rosita" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > >> Alasdair Baxter <> wrote in

    > >> It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has
    > >> been placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way.
    > >> Or somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or
    > >> looked at by the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the
    > >> Win 2K O/S, has and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see
    > >> how you can get a version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K
    > >> O/S.
    > >>
    > >> That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the
    > >> start process.
    > >>
    > >> Duane :)

    > > I joined this group to post my same exact problem as Baxter. I have
    > > WinXP and i went into my Start-up folder and i saw that there was a
    > > folder named WINDOWS, it is empty. Should i remove it so the /System32
    > > won't show up when i turn on my computer?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Rosa
    > >

    > What should be in the Start-up folder are programs or short-cuts to other
    > programs you want started when you logon the computer. Take as an example
    > if you're using Outlook. You can take the short-cut for Outlook Express
    > and copy/paste it into the Start-up folder and Outlook Express will be
    > stated and waiting for you by the time you get to the desktop or shortly
    > there after. You should delete the Windows folder in the Start-up folder
    > if it's empty it should not be there. That would be in All Users and your
    > account nodes under the Document and Settings node when you right-click
    > the Start-button and select Explorer.
    >
    > Duane :)

    The same thing happened to our computer at work. The fix I found is to edit
    the system registry. Be careful because you can screw things up so back it
    up first. I am on a Win98 computer now, so the registry keys I quote below
    may be a little off.

    You need to run the program regedit. You can do this by going to your menu
    bar and click on run. Type in without the quotes, "regedit". When the
    registry comes up go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click on the "+" to expand the
    view. Go to "Software" and expand it. Go to Microsoft and expand it. Go
    to Windows and expand it. Go to CurrentVersion and expand it. Now look in
    the Run, Runonce and RunServices entries and see if you see an entry to run
    "C:\WINNT\System32". That entry is causing the window to open up when your
    computer is first started. You can export that registry key and save it
    before you delete it in case something goes wrong so you can restore it if
    needed.

    I believe some kind of update that was installed caused this entry.

    Hope that helps,

    Eric
    Eric, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Alasdair Baxter

    Rosita Guest

    I went ahead and did the following:

    If the System32 folder shows on the desktop, there may be an invalid entry
    in the Registry

    1.. Start Regedit
    2.. Go to both:
    3.. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    4.. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    5.. Double check that the values do not have incorrect, incomplete, or
    blank entries
    Ok, here is what i found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:

    Value 3
    Name: <NO NAME>
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: c:\WINDOWS\System32\

    here is what i found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

    Value 1
    Name: <NO NAME>
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: c:\WINDOWS\System32\

    Does this have anything to do with the windows system 32 folder loading up
    on my desktop when i turn on my computer? I already checked my start up
    folders and deleted one folder that was reading Windows (it was empty),
    thought this would work, it didn't. I'm running WinXP. Thanks for everyones
    advise.

    -Rosa

    Rosita, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    | Alasdair Baxter <> wrote in
    |
    | > I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
    | >
    | > When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
    | > routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
    | > icons/shortcuts.
    | >
    | > It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
    | > before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
    | > stopped with the desktop in place.
    | >
    | > Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
    | > can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
    | > suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
    | > scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.
    | >

    | It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has been
    | placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way. Or
    | somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or looked at by
    | the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the Win 2K O/S, has
    | and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see how you can get a
    | version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K O/S.
    |
    | That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the start
    | process.

    I had a friend bring over a computer recently that was infected with a virus
    or trojan or something...I hate to say it but I've forgotten what it was <g>
    (old-timers disease?). On his, it was Solitaire starting everytime he booted
    the computer. I fought with that for an hour. Eventually, I went on to a
    full virus/spyware/adware set of scans and once the "crapware" was gone, so
    was the ever-starting Solitaire.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Alasdair Baxter

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >| Alasdair Baxter <> wrote in
    >|
    >| > I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
    >| >
    >| > When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the
    >| > usual routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
    >| > icons/shortcuts.
    >| >
    >| > It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
    >| > before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
    >| > stopped with the desktop in place.
    >| >
    >| > Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what
    >| > I can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes
    >| > up? I suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry
    >| > but I am scared to change the registry in case I foul it up
    >| > altogether.
    >| >

    >| It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has
    >| been placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way.
    >| Or somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or
    >| looked at by the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the
    >| Win 2K O/S, has and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see
    >| how you can get a version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K
    >| O/S.
    >|
    >| That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the
    >| start process.
    >|

    > I had a friend bring over a computer recently that was infected with a
    > virus or trojan or something...I hate to say it but I've forgotten
    > what it was <g> (old-timers disease?). On his, it was Solitaire
    > starting everytime he booted the computer. I fought with that for an
    > hour. Eventually, I went on to a full virus/spyware/adware set of
    > scans and once the "crapware" was gone, so was the ever-starting
    > Solitaire.

    It's the happy fingers that point and click on unknown things that leads
    to the compromise. I got people too that are always having issues with
    malware.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 8, 2004
  10. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <snipped>

    | > I had a friend bring over a computer recently that was infected with a
    | > virus or trojan or something...I hate to say it but I've forgotten
    | > what it was <g> (old-timers disease?). On his, it was Solitaire
    | > starting everytime he booted the computer. I fought with that for an
    | > hour. Eventually, I went on to a full virus/spyware/adware set of
    | > scans and once the "crapware" was gone, so was the ever-starting
    | > Solitaire.
    | >

    | It's the happy fingers that point and click on unknown things that leads
    | to the compromise. I got people too that are always having issues with
    | malware.
    |
    | Duane :)

    You know what makes it really bad? Usually it's the BOSS! How come these
    guys who are half as smart are paid twice as much? It's too bad I didn't
    finish college...I could of given these guys a real run for the money ;o)
    Toolman Tim, Nov 8, 2004
  11. On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 06:46:43 GMT, why?

    >PC Magazine: Windows Explorer Displays System32 Folder at Start-Up
    >... I don't know whether my problem is related to the new additions, but
    >when I start up now, the C:\WINNT\System32 folder opens automatically.
    >www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdpcm/is_200312/ai_ziff113683 - 18k -
    >Cached - Similar pages

    Thanks for all the advice. It has now been fixed. One of the
    registry entries mentioned in
    www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdpcm/is_200312/ai_ziff113683
    had a "" at the end. I just deleted the "" and all is now well.

    Alasdair Baxter, Nov 8, 2004
  12. Alasdair Baxter

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:24:34 -0800, Rosita wrote:

    >I went ahead and did the following:
    >
    >If the System32 folder shows on the desktop, there may be an invalid entry
    >in the Registry
    >
    > 1.. Start Regedit
    > 2.. Go to both:
    > 3.. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    <snip>

    >Value 1
    >Name: <NO NAME>
    >Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    >Data: c:\WINDOWS\System32\
    >
    >Does this have anything to do with the windows system 32 folder loading up

    Possibly, but I don't have the problem. The OP said he fixed it and
    posted another URL try that.

    why?, Nov 8, 2004