    Anyone?
    THX
    Frank

    Frank, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Frank wrote:
    > I stalled an app that hosed my 64 edition install. I get the
    > old...windows cannot start because C:\windows\system32\config\system is
    > corrupt...
    >
    > This is a triple boot hdd so I can access the 64 install from one of the
    > other os's.
    > I believe there is a method of simply replacing the
    > C:\windows\system32\config\system file with a good one but can't
    > remember how it's done.
    > Anyone?
    > THX
    > Frank

    The method described in the KB Article refers to the 32-bit versions,
    but still should apply:

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> I stalled an app that hosed my 64 edition install. I get the
    >> old...windows cannot start because C:\windows\system32\config\system
    >> is corrupt...
    >>
    >> This is a triple boot hdd so I can access the 64 install from one of
    >> the other os's.
    >> I believe there is a method of simply replacing the
    >> C:\windows\system32\config\system file with a good one but can't
    >> remember how it's done.
    >> Anyone?
    >> THX
    >> Frank

    > The method described in the KB Article refers to the 32-bit
    > versions, but still should apply:
    >
    > How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    > Starting
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
    >
    > Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    Thanks but I used that method a couple of times over the years. I even
    have a printed a copy of it.
    It's a real PITA!
    I thought there was a short cut...anyone ..?
    THX
    Frank

    Frank, Apr 1, 2006