    C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder opens. Could there be something in the startup menu
    causing this? How would I stop this folder from opening when the computer
    starts?
    eichmebe, May 11, 2004

  2. eichmebe

    doS Guest

    VIRUS

    "eichmebe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The computer is an E-Machines, running WinME. Intel Celeron Processor.

    160MB
    > RAM
    > "eichmebe" <> wrote in message
    > > I am working on a friends computer. Every time the computer starts up

    the

    doS, May 11, 2004

  3. eichmebe

    eichmebe Guest

    eichmebe, May 11, 2004
  4. eichmebe

    eichmebe Guest

    Stinger did previously detect the w32/klezh@mm virus, which I removed. I
    also uninstalled Norton Antivirus a few minutes ago- as directed in the
    Symantic directions for Klez removal. I am now searching for other virus
    because the folder still opens.

    eichmebe, May 11, 2004
  5. eichmebe

    °Mike° Guest

    Make sure that all of your startup shortcuts have double
    quotes around them.

    Windows XP? Folder Options / View ...
    Uncheck 'Restore previous folder windows at logon'.

    Remove Common Tasks from Desktop
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

    Make sure that no Windows are open when you close down
    or reboot, as Windows can remember that they were open
    and reinstate them on bootup.

    Check that the following registry key is equal to zero:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    DesktopProcess = 0x00000000 (0)

    Check the following registry keys for entries that might
    initiate a window opening:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    Also see:
    Windows Explorer Starts When You Start Your Computer

    System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP,
    Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:01:35 -0500, in
    <>
    eichmebe scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 11, 2004
  6. eichmebe

    doS Guest

    which OS are you using?

    doS, May 11, 2004
  7. eichmebe

    eichmebe Guest

    WinME on E-Machines Celeron Processor

    eichmebe, May 11, 2004
  8. eichmebe

    Joe Guest

    type MSCONFIG in run command,
    Start...run...
    Joe, May 11, 2004
  9. eichmebe

    Unk Guest

    Unk, May 12, 2004
  10. eichmebe

    eichmebe Guest

    Turns out there was an item in the startup menu causing this. After I
    deselected the item, this folder did not open during startup anymore.

    eichmebe, May 12, 2004