    hiring for what, but I don't think this is necessarily an
    accurate indicator of what skills are needed in the
    marketplace.
    Alexx, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Alexx

    Alexx Guest

    I didn't specify that I intend to go with the vb 6.0
    track because I don't have vb.net at home. Although, I
    think it might be unrealistic to think I can obtain the
    cert in a year. It would suck to pass two of the exams
    and never become certified because of the deadline.

    How
    >>would I go about finding out which is more demanded
    >>skill? I do read the classifieds each week to see

    who's

    Alexx, Jul 21, 2003

  3. You can download the .NET SDK for free from the Microsoft web site. (120 MB)

    It includes command-line compilers for C#, VB.NET and JScript.

    There are free .NET IDEs available on the web too. You don't have to use
    MS's to learn .NET. But you may encounter a few MS IDE questions in the
    exams.

    If you ask me, I'd say C++ programmers will remain the most valuable
    developer for quite some time. With the advent of .NET, some struggling
    C/C++ developers may jump to C# for it's simplicity.

    Good luck to you.

    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Alexx

    Dmand Guest

    VB is much easier than C++, as is C#. Probably if you need to ask then you
    shouldn't be heading down the C++ path, it's for "hardcore" programmers. And
    certainly if you want to be a .NET developer then you should be choosing
    from VB.NET or C#. Personally I'd go with C#, I figure MS must have gone and
    invented it for a reason, probably to overcome the shortcomings of both VB
    and C++ as modern OO languages. I've been doing C# now for a few months and
    it's probably just as easy as VB.NET anyway, just has the C like syntax but
    with none of the fickleness of C (forward declares, no garbage collection
    etc).

    Dmand, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Alexx

    Caio Proiete Guest

    Hi Alexx,

    If you are in doubt, you could do a "mix" of the exams...
    To earn the MCSD certification you need to pass 2 core
    exams, 1 elective exam and 1 requirements exam.

    On the core exam you can choose doing:

    70-015 Visual C++ Distributed +
    70-176 Visual Basic Desktop
    Or
    70-016 Visual C++ Desktop +
    70-175 Visual Basic Distributed

    Doing such combination you get the necessary credits to
    earn your MCSD certification and you would be certified in
    VC++ and VB!

    Cheers,

    Caio Proiete
    MCSD (Visual C++) - MCP (SQL Server 2000)

    Caio Proiete, Jul 22, 2003
  6. Alexx

    John S Guest

    > I'd say C++ programmers will remain the most valuable
    > developer for quite some time.

    Sure will. Few grunts understand C++.

    John S, Jul 22, 2003
  7. Alexx

    Jaime Guest

    You make a really good point about c#, I'll have to think
    about that, I've always done vb but maybe it would be a
    good idea to learn c# as well, especially since they are
    so similar.

    Jaime, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Alexx

    Jaime Guest

    not part of the program???

    Jaime, Jul 23, 2003
  9. Alexx

    mave Guest

    I've been so brainwashed with .NET that I've forgotten al
    the rest ;-)

    But indeed, Microsoft is closing down the old MCSD-track.

    So if you're going for the old track i would advice you to
    take the C++ course, this really has more market value.
    But if you're going for the new track the options are all
    open for you. You will propably have as much trouble going
    from VB to VB.NET as you will have going from C++ to C#.
    Although a lot of people think differently about it, i
    think there is not much difference between VB.NET and C#.
    Sure, C# can do a few tricks more than VB, but you will
    hardly ever use them.

    Good luck on your choice!

    Mave

    mave, Jul 23, 2003