    folder.

    Thanks for any insight.

    thomas
    Thomas Peckham, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Thomas Peckham

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:46:19 -0600, "Thomas Peckham"
    <> wrote:

    |>What is the C:\temp folder used for? It has gotten quite large.
    |>
    |>My Windows 98 SE deletes its own "Temporary files" (which, I presume, are
    |>in the
    |>C:\Windows\TEMP folder) whenever I use its Disk Cleanup (CLEANMGR.EXE or
    |>TUNEUP.EXE) feature.
    |>But this Windows maintenance program doesn't seem to touch the C:\temp
    |>folder.
    |>
    |>Thanks for any insight.

    This is a DOS hold over most likely.

    You can change where your Temp dir is in 98 through the autoexec.bat
    file mine reads:

    DOSKEY
    set temp=L:\Temp
    set tmp=L:\Temp

    Go into a dos window - command window whatever, get a dos prompt and
    type: set
    This will show you what your temp dir's really are.
    mine reads:

    TEMP=L:\Temp
    TMP=L:\Temp

    Pretty much anything in a Temp dir is fair game for deletion.
    Pennywise, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Thomas Peckham

    DC Guest

    Pennywise wrote:

    [...]

    > Pretty much anything in a Temp dir is fair game for deletion.

    Following a reboot, to be safe.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Thomas Peckham

    Unk Guest

    <> wrote:

    >What is the C:\temp folder used for? It has gotten quite large.
    >
    >My Windows 98 SE deletes its own "Temporary files" (which, I presume, are
    >in the
    >C:\Windows\TEMP folder) whenever I use its Disk Cleanup (CLEANMGR.EXE or
    >TUNEUP.EXE) feature.
    >But this Windows maintenance program doesn't seem to touch the C:\temp
    >folder.
    >
    >Thanks for any insight.
    >
    >thomas

    Apparently, you have software that uses it for temporary storage. Anything
    "Temporary" is safe to delete (after a reboot, to make sure it wasn't part
    of some installation process).
    Unk, Aug 21, 2004