    the C# tests this time or does not not mather which one
    tests you take??

    Thanks

    Chris R, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Chris R

    IHearYou Guest

    Peopel with C# certification tend to be regarded higher
    and paid more by the industry.

    I am not sure if you have to retake exams for C#
    certification, but I think the answer is yes.
    Can anyone else answer this question?

    Good Luck

    IHearYou, Mar 27, 2005

  3. Chris R

    Steve Guest

    Go with C#. I came from a vbScript/asp backgound and
    can't standing looking at vb style syntax after learning
    C#. C# is leaner, more elegant and it's what .Net itself
    was written in.

    Steve, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Hi Chris,

    The MCAD certification consists of a combination of exams which are chosen
    from a menu. You can mix and match languages for both MCAD and MCSD.
    Understanding the .NET framework is more important than the particular
    language you use. Most employers are looking for real-world experience in
    addition to certification(s).

    --
    Cindy Winegarden MCSD, Microsoft Visual Foxpro MVP
    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Mar 29, 2005
  5. If you have the time do C# and VB. I have seen different
    companies use either language.

    When you feel comfortable and you have completed your
    studies I suggest you try the free Microsoft Skills
    Assessments at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/assessment/default.asp.

    You can take as many free assessments as you want. These
    assessments are like mini (30 ramdom questions)
    certifications. I've used this to help prepare and verify
    I am ready to take my certification exams. It really helps.

    Good luck

    FreeMiniTests, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Chris R

    StudentX Guest

    FYI
    You can't get any details about the results of your
    assessments so you dont know for sure which answers you
    got right. There is another site called
    http://disnetinc.com/ that supplies free Q&A for some of
    the assessments. I found this very useful.
    StudentX

    StudentX, Mar 29, 2005
  7. Chris R

    Guest Guest

    Chris,

    Cindy is right: experience trumps certifications almost every time. As for
    a specific language, I would (and I do) go with C#. Most .NET job ads I see
    are for C#, not to mention it's a much better language for many reasons.
    The XML documentation feature alone is enough reason to use C# over VB.NET.
    If C# had a VB-like "with" statement, it would be the perfect language. :)

    If you know VB.NET and C++, it will be a *very easy* transition for you.
    I'm a VB.NET developer for my current employer, but I'm taking the MCAD
    exams in C#. Nearly all the concepts are the same; it's just a matter of
    syntax and a few keywords.

    Hope this helps!

    Eric

    P.S...C# 2003 Standard Edition allows you to create class libraries, which
    will greatly help you in preparing for 3 of the 4 MCAD exams. VB.NET
    Standard does not. (You could create and compile class libraries in VB.NET
    manually using the compiler from the command prompt...but it's quite a
    pain.)

    Guest, Mar 29, 2005