C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer (What Linux Advocacy in COLA is REALLY About)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by detective48@gmail.com, Oct 28, 2007.

  1. Guest

    + +
    + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer +
    + Edition: 21 - 9/24/06 +
    + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy +
    + +
    + Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ +

    Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This
    FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and
    this group. Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as
    realistic as possible. If you want the straight information from
    real people, continue reading. If you would like to be told what
    you want to hear, or read a bunch of misinformation that you will
    regret later as you find things don't work as they should, feel free
    to read one of the other "FAQS" in here.

    OK, on to the info! ADDED NEW SECTION BELOW!

    Here's a list of some frequently asked and answered question here
    and elsewhere that you may find useful in your quest to try linux.
    Read these carefully before you decide to invest time in Linux, you
    may find that you have better things you can do instead.

    SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
    --------------------------

    1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    trouble detecting all your hardware. Most new hardware devices
    are not supported. If your lucky you might be able to find
    something that someone threw together on the net. But that's
    after spending a couple hours searching and probably won't take
    advantage of your hardware to it's fullest capability.

    1.2 Q: Once I get it installed, then what?
    A: Then you get the joy of making sure everything is configured
    right. Plan on a minimum of two hours per device to get it to
    work. That's if the device is even supported.

    1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
    installation freezes or just stops?
    A: You get to reboot and start all over again. :) This happens
    every so often with Linux. It seems like it's buggy install
    routines or something. Ain't Linux grand? :)

    1.4 Q: What's the deal?! I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
    hard drive space!
    A: The Linux distros usually install a LOT of never-used programs
    on the default install. You can pick and choose what you want,
    but good luck figuring out what programs are needed and what is
    useless, obscure tools. Linux usually installs stuff like 10
    different editors, 12 different mail clients, and so on.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
    ---------------------------

    2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
    A: All of Linux is configured with cryptic text files. Some of
    the more user-friendly distros have configuration utilities
    that claim to do it for you, but success with these works
    sometimes and other times don't, so sometimes you have to
    edit them by hand. With Linux's spotty reliability in UI
    programming, you might as well get used to it.

    2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
    these programs telling me to do them? Arggg!!
    A: These are command line programs that do things within the
    system. It's what makes Linux a powerful OS for those that
    are experienced with it. But it's also what makes it a pain
    in the arse to use and inefficient as a desktop system. Who
    wants to type all the time when they can just click?!

    (more to come...)

    SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
    ----------------------------

    3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
    A: Good question. Because Linux doesn't have a large user base
    on the desktop,(I think it's about 0.24%, less than 1%)
    companies that make software won't write their programs for
    Linux. There's a lot of community created programs out there,
    and some are fairly good, but those are few and far between.
    Most of the Linux software that tries to mimic it's windows
    counterpart is substandard. It's usually slow and buggy and
    early in development.

    3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
    is that?
    A: That's Linux's version of DLL hell. Different versions and
    distros use different libraries. So unlike windows where
    programs will run on many different versions, Linux programs
    will fail if they're not made for your specific version.

    3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
    what is a makefile?
    A: This is a way to build the programs from the source code
    under Linux. When the question above fails, you can always
    build it yourself. The advantage is that it works most of
    the time. The disadvantage is that it takes forever to build
    large programs, you need to know some cryptic commands and
    you have to do all this on a command line. Unlike Windows
    where you just double click and you are done.

    3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
    A: Not really. You can buy Linux itself at various stores. But
    not too many commercial companies make applications for Linux,
    there's no profit in it with 0.24% of the desktop market.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
    ---------------------------

    4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
    A: Linux is built on the technology of the old UNIX OS's. Even
    the graphical user interface of Linux is a separate program
    that
    is the same type they used back in the older UNIX days. So
    working with old technology will give you the old technology
    responsiveness. Also, a lot of the GUI's, although nice to look
    at, are still not mature. Using them is slow and sluggish
    compared to, say, Windows.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
    --------------------------

    5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
    A: Since Linux isn't built by one company, group or have any
    governing body, programs and interfaces can vary dramatically.
    You can have everything from the nice look of KDE, to something
    as ugly as TK and everything in between. You'll usually see
    some
    varying UI stile in Linux.

    5.2 Q: Should I buy Suse Linux?
    A: No. They make it difficult to get it for free. All the other
    distros provide free ISO's to download. Suse is the only one
    that doesn't provide them but instead has a FTP install that's
    hard to get to work. Why should they make it easy? The more
    people that can't get the download to work have to spend $80
    or more for the boxed set. And on top of all that although
    it might have a few more user friendly tools, it's still the
    same base Linux system that's in development and that all the
    other distros are using. In other words, they're all on about
    the same level of struggling to catch up to Windows, so you're
    not going to find any earth-shattering features in one compared
    to another.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
    -----------------------------

    6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual. This is a
    common
    answer you'll get when asking for help in the Linux community.
    It's meant to make you feel inadequate while boating the Linux
    persons ego at the same time. See, Linux enthusiasts consider
    themselves to be guru like and above helping out the simple
    newbie. You have to earn your respect by spending countless
    hours becoming a kernel hacker before you're worthy of getting
    any help.

    6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when using
    Linux?
    A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
    takes
    a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
    superior,
    and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have time for
    the
    pathetic little Windows people.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?

    7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    if it isn't?
    A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
    they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
    Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the last
    windows
    they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.

    7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    questions linux?
    A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
    religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
    Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
    someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
    system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and
    reasonable
    judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your are a
    troll
    or a paid MS supporter.

    7.3 Q: Why does everyone <PLONK> you if you question Linux?
    A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
    point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them
    or
    you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy way out
    of having to prove themselves, they will <PLONK> you.

    (more to come...)
    SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS

    8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of links
    to anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    Linux extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    Linux comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
    that belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    or outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    anything questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a
    little
    "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    then decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

    (more to come...)

    A Little About Me:

    What Others on digg.com think of me:

    http://tinyurl.com/ysrz8u

    http://tinyurl.com/ysrz8u

    , Oct 28, 2007

  2. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer (What Linux Advocacy in COLAis REALLY About)

    Le Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:53:37 -0700, detective48 () a
    caressé son clavier pour nous dire ce qui suit:

    > A Little About Me:

    100% idiot !

    --
    Utiliser le butineur, le courrielleur, le lecteur de nouvelles
    et l'OS avec lesquels vous vous sentez le plus sécurisé ...

    Michel Doucet, Oct 28, 2007

  3. 7 Guest

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > + +
    > + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer +
    > + Edition: 21 - 9/24/06 +
    > + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy +
    > + +
    > + Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team

    Unfortunately the PISTIFIED windopws system
    you are using to make disparaging
    Linux posts has been hacked - like the 50 to 100 million+ (20%)
    of all windopws computers out there.

    There is only one thing to do and that is to patch it with
    this patch here.

    http://www.ubuntu.com

    You can also try free Linux software with source code that boots from
    CD and runs without having to install can be found here

    http://www.livecdlist.com

    Also lot of current releases of Linux can be found here

    http://www.livecdlist.com

    7, Oct 28, 2007
  4. In comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    <>
    wrote
    on Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:53:37 -0700
    <>:
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > + +
    > + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer +
    > + Edition: 21 - 9/24/06 +
    > + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy +
    > + +
    > + Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team

    [rest snipped]

    Fake.

    #191,
    Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    It's a question of when.

    The Ghost In The Machine, Oct 29, 2007
  5. Averell Guest

    Michel Doucet a écrit :