    Brando.

    P.S.
    Also, the "File" menu takes the same amount of time to open.

    Brando, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Brando

    OldKenGoat Guest

    Re: Drive takes ages after SP2 installed

    Brando wrote:
    > I just installed SP2 and when I click on my C: Drive, it takes 10 to
    > 12 seconds to open and display the contents of the drive. Anyone know
    > why? Can I fix this?
    > TIA.
    > Brando.
    >
    > P.S.
    > Also, the "File" menu takes the same amount of time to open.

    D/L, install and run Crap Cleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/
    HTH,
    OldKenGoat
    --
    To reply JUNK the NOJUNK!

    OldKenGoat, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Brando

    Pennywise Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:43:04 GMT, "Brando" <> wrote:

    |>I just installed SP2 and when I click on my C: Drive, it takes 10 to 12
    |>seconds to open and display the contents of the drive. Anyone know why?

    No, but I can share this whine; and do you one better, mine takes 40
    seconds to open. ( just time'd it)

    To make this more interesting, it's only one partition that does this,
    my H:\ drive, all others open right up.

    This partition is used to download my Torrent files and I did install
    SP2 from it before this started. There's a relationship here, as
    Win98 and Win2000 both open it right up.

    |> Can I fix this?

    I'm sure it can, but things I've tried are: looking for phantom linked
    files in the registry, remove'd anything that could be linked
    anywhere, run scandisk, chkdsk and spinrite no luck

    Explorer loads up to 90% and stays there until H:\ drive is displayed.
    I figure our times are differ as you must have a faster system.

    |> P.S.
    |> Also, the "File" menu takes the same amount of time to open.

    I can take Up to 5 mins to load XP now that I've installed SP2 :} I
    haven't time'd this but it's close.

    I know the reason for this tho, I'm still running Zone Alarm (4.5.530)
    I like this version, be darn if I'm going to update this just to be
    able to run SP2

    I just haven't gotten around to uninstalling SP2, I have no need for
    this update. I only installed it to see what it was about, now I know.

    Pennywise, Sep 22, 2004
  4. Brando

    ShockSchtick Guest

    Pennywise wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:43:04 GMT, "Brando" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I just installed SP2 and when I click on my C: Drive, it takes 10 to 12
    > |>seconds to open and display the contents of the drive. Anyone know why?
    >
    > No, but I can share this whine; and do you one better, mine takes 40
    > seconds to open. ( just time'd it)
    >
    > To make this more interesting, it's only one partition that does this,
    > my H:\ drive, all others open right up.
    >
    > This partition is used to download my Torrent files and I did install
    > SP2 from it before this started. There's a relationship here, as
    > Win98 and Win2000 both open it right up.
    >
    > |> Can I fix this?
    >
    > I'm sure it can, but things I've tried are: looking for phantom linked
    > files in the registry, remove'd anything that could be linked
    > anywhere, run scandisk, chkdsk and spinrite no luck
    >
    > Explorer loads up to 90% and stays there until H:\ drive is displayed.
    > I figure our times are differ as you must have a faster system.
    >
    > |> P.S.
    > |> Also, the "File" menu takes the same amount of time to open.
    >
    > I can take Up to 5 mins to load XP now that I've installed SP2 :} I
    > haven't time'd this but it's close.
    >
    > I know the reason for this tho, I'm still running Zone Alarm (4.5.530)
    > I like this version, be darn if I'm going to update this just to be
    > able to run SP2
    >
    > I just haven't gotten around to uninstalling SP2, I have no need for
    > this update. I only installed it to see what it was about, now I know.

    Heh..you got some weird, upsidedown thinking there, partner. Believe me,
    and many others, Zone Alarm just ain't that great. Don't let that
    annoying cacophony it can put out impress ya!

    ShockSchtick, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Brando

    Pennywise Guest

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:31:08 -0400, ShockSchtick
    <absinthe@.ambergris.wow> wrote:

    |>> I can take Up to 5 mins to load XP now that I've installed SP2 :} I
    |>> haven't time'd this but it's close.
    |>>
    |>> I know the reason for this tho, I'm still running Zone Alarm (4.5.530)
    |>> I like this version, be darn if I'm going to update this just to be
    |>> able to run SP2
    |>>
    |>> I just haven't gotten around to uninstalling SP2, I have no need for
    |>> this update. I only installed it to see what it was about, now I know.
    |>>
    |>Heh..you got some weird, upsidedown thinking there, partner. Believe me,
    |>and many others, Zone Alarm just ain't that great. Don't let that
    |>annoying cacophony it can put out impress ya!

    I was going to say I use what works and not gravitate to the flavor of
    the month.

    But things have changed in the last few days: http://tinyurl.com/4x5r8
    I will be keeping SP2 installed, and find something that works now.

    My needs are few in a firewall, I'm behind a NAT system, and a router
    to get through as well. I keep one running to let me know what wants
    out, not so much as in.

    Pennywise, Sep 23, 2004
  6. I have Windows XP Pro with service pack 2 and ZoneAlarm, the latest version.
    Not having a problem with my main drive loading my programs. My suggestion
    is you upgrade your ZoneAlarm to the latest version because it is probably
    more compatible with service pack 2. I highly recommend the latest version
    of ZoneAlarm Security Suite. I love the way it protect my system. Was a
    loyal McAfee anti-virus and firewall user until I started having problem
    with their upgrades and that was before I installed service pack 2. Since
    switching, been happy as a little clam about the way my system runs.

    Coffeecoco930

    Coffeecoco930, Sep 24, 2004
  7. Brando

    Pennywise Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:59:41 -0400, "Coffeecoco930"
    <> wrote:

    |>I have Windows XP Pro with service pack 2 and ZoneAlarm, the latest version.
    |>Not having a problem with my main drive loading my programs. My suggestion
    |>is you upgrade your ZoneAlarm to the latest version because it is probably
    |>more compatible with service pack 2.

    Ya, but there's the rub ZA 5+ phones home. I'll pry upgrade now as I
    must (to work with SP2).

    I picked this up some time ago in case I might need it, it looks like
    I'll be using it now:

    Tip for users of zonealarm

    Be warned this phones home every session with no apparent way to stop
    it...until now :)

    Close ZoneAlarm.
    Open up your registry editor.
    Go to the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm
    In the right pane, you will see CfgMain, double click that.
    Use your keyboard's arrow keys to downwards until you reached 0028.
    On line #6 (0028), press the right arrow key 5 times, then hit
    Backspace.
    After you are done the step above, type 00 on your keyboard.
    Then click OK.
    Restart ZoneAlarm...

    (fairly hard to understand but what you will end up doing is changing
    0028 to 0000)

    Sheez did this topic take a right turn :)

    Pennywise, Sep 24, 2004