!C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Aug 25, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    > Film Archive, Wellington
    > C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer Opens in the mediagallery Friday
    > 26 August until 8 October. Forgotten relics from the dawn of home
    > computing and a collection of contemporary artists still using them. Read
    > more
    >
    > http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/news/news.html


    Yeah, I walk past there on my way to/from work and noticed the posters.
    Should be kinda fun to go and see.

    Did anyone else notice forward slashes instead of backslashes :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > AD. scribbled:

    >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200, Max Burke wrote:


    >> Film Archive, Wellington
    >> C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer Opens in the mediagallery
    >> Friday 26 August until 8 October. Forgotten relics from the dawn of
    >> home computing and a collection of contemporary artists still using
    >> them. Read more


    >> http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/news/news.html


    > Yeah, I walk past there on my way to/from work and noticed the
    > posters. Should be kinda fun to go and see.


    > Did anyone else notice forward slashes instead of backslashes :)


    Hey they're artists. It's called creativity....

    :)


    --

    Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    Found Images
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
    Max Burke, Aug 25, 2005
    #3
  4. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:48:27 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    >> Did anyone else notice forward slashes instead of backslashes :)

    >
    > Hey they're artists. It's called creativity....


    I blame the web and URLs for the confusion :)

    Unless they're actually unix artists <chortle>

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 26, 2005
    #4
  5. T'was the Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200 when I remembered "Max
    Burke" <> saying something like this:

    >Forgotten relics from the dawn of home computing and a collection of
    >contemporary artists still using them.


    What do you mean forgotten relic? :) I still have a C64 and Amiga 500
    sitting around somewhere...

    I remember my first computer around 1991, it was a BBC Micro.
    Excellent computer, you could type sentences and it would say them, in
    a uber-robotic voice. Did work processing.

    20 years later, I use my computer for internet, email and word
    processing. So technology's increased but the uses for it haven't
    increased as much.

    Though I do think rendering Toy Story on a C64 might be a long and
    arduous journey...
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Aug 27, 2005
    #5
  6. Max Burke

    Harry Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200 when I remembered "Max
    > Burke" <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Forgotten relics from the dawn of home computing and a collection of
    >>contemporary artists still using them.

    >
    > What do you mean forgotten relic? :) I still have a C64 and Amiga 500
    > sitting around somewhere...
    >
    > I remember my first computer around 1991, it was a BBC Micro.
    > Excellent computer, you could type sentences and it would say them, in
    > a uber-robotic voice. Did work processing.
    >
    > 20 years later, I use my computer for internet, email and word
    > processing. So technology's increased but the uses for it haven't
    > increased as much.
    >


    Let's see ... 1991 + 20 = 2011.
    Harry, Aug 27, 2005
    #6
  7. Max Burke

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200 when I remembered "Max
    > Burke" <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> Forgotten relics from the dawn of home computing and a collection of
    >> contemporary artists still using them.

    >
    > What do you mean forgotten relic? :) I still have a C64 and Amiga 500
    > sitting around somewhere...


    LOL, actually I have those two as well. Must get around to drop-kicking them
    soon. Even have a Commodore compact casette tape drive. I use the 1084
    monitor as a TV in the bedroom hooked up to a DVD/VCR/Tuner combo. Excellent
    picture, better than any 14" TV I've seen (and it's only like, 12" or
    something).
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 27, 2005
    #7
  8. T'was the Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:36:20 +1000 when I remembered Harry
    <> saying something like this:

    >Let's see ... 1991 + 20 = 2011.


    The future sucks. It's more of the same except with Google branding.
    I'd stick to 2005 if I was you:)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Aug 28, 2005
    #8
  9. Max Burke

    RdM Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    nz.comp<>:

    > [ ... ] I use the 1084
    > monitor as a TV in the bedroom hooked up to a DVD/VCR/Tuner combo. Excellent
    > picture, better than any 14" TV I've seen (and it's only like, 12" or
    > something).


    Nonsense! It's a good 13" or 13 1/4" visible like any 14" or so ... no?
    Actually I have one here with the back off and the pic tube number starts
    M34...... which I would guess is 34cm, about 13 1/2". The 1082 is equally
    good, same size. You know they take s-video as well? Just split the C & L
    into the two RCA plugs at the back and flip/push the CVBS/LCA switch ;-)
    But I agree; I only run mine on composite, and people often comment on how
    good the quality is. No shadowmask grain like yer average older 14" TV!
    There are a few variants of the 1084 though, electronics wise. I did find
    one schematic on the web; there's a giant Commodore resource somewhere.
    RdM, Aug 28, 2005
    #9
  10. What is the Media Gallery street address ?

    I've looked at the web site mentioned in one message, and looked
    in the Wgtn telephone directory.
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Aug 28, 2005
    #10
  11. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz scribbled:
    > What is the Media Gallery street address ?
    > I've looked at the web site mentioned in one message, and looked
    > in the Wgtn telephone directory.


    Corner of Taranaki and Ghuznee Streets...
    http://www.wises.co.nz/street/

    --

    Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    Found Images
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
    Max Burke, Aug 28, 2005
    #11
  12. Max Burke

    Jasen Betts Guest

    In article <1125009679.4007917855e97ad7bb2d3b6a262445f7@teranews>, AD. wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> Film Archive, Wellington
    >> C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer Opens in the mediagallery Friday

    >
    > Did anyone else notice forward slashes instead of backslashes :)


    not I.... but then I was using forwards slashes for paths in dos back in the
    early nineties... the earlier versions of dos woulkd let you do that if you
    asked nicely.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Aug 28, 2005
    #12
  13. Max Burke

    Harry Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:36:20 +1000 when I remembered Harry
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Let's see ... 1991 + 20 = 2011.

    >
    > The future sucks. It's more of the same except with Google branding.
    > I'd stick to 2005 if I was you:)


    Ok, so you didn't understand my post.

    You said: "I remember my first computer around 1991 ... 20 years later, I
    use my computer".

    Your figure don't add up.
    Harry, Aug 28, 2005
    #13
  14. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:30:29 +1000, Harry wrote:

    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >> T'was the Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:36:20 +1000 when I remembered Harry
    >> <> saying something like this:
    >>
    >>>Let's see ... 1991 + 20 = 2011.

    >>
    >> The future sucks. It's more of the same except with Google branding. I'd
    >> stick to 2005 if I was you:)

    >
    > Ok, so you didn't understand my post.
    >
    > You said: "I remember my first computer around 1991 ... 20 years later, I
    > use my computer".
    >
    > Your figure don't add up.


    I'd say he understood your post perfectly. Now as for your understanding...

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 28, 2005
    #14
  15. T'was the Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:30:29 +1000 when I remembered Harry
    <> saying something like this:

    >>>Let's see ... 1991 + 20 = 2011.

    >>
    >> The future sucks. It's more of the same except with Google branding.
    >> I'd stick to 2005 if I was you:)

    >
    >Ok, so you didn't understand my post.
    >
    >You said: "I remember my first computer around 1991 ... 20 years later, I
    >use my computer".
    >
    >Your figure don't add up.


    I understood, I just thought most people saw it as an obvious mistake.
    For the record, I really meant 10 years ago, not 20.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Aug 28, 2005
    #15
  16. Max Burke

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:00:21 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >T'was the Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:30:29 +1000 when I remembered Harry
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>>>Let's see ... 1991 + 20 = 2011.
    >>>
    >>> The future sucks. It's more of the same except with Google branding.
    >>> I'd stick to 2005 if I was you:)

    >>
    >>Ok, so you didn't understand my post.
    >>
    >>You said: "I remember my first computer around 1991 ... 20 years later, I
    >>use my computer".
    >>
    >>Your figure don't add up.

    >
    >I understood, I just thought most people saw it as an obvious mistake.
    >For the record, I really meant 10 years ago, not 20.


    That's just as wrong Bling, sorry Waylon :)
    Bret, Aug 29, 2005
    #16
  17. "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Film Archive, Wellington
    > C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer
    > Opens in the mediagallery Friday 26 August until 8 October.
    > Forgotten relics from the dawn of home computing and a collection of
    > contemporary artists still using them.
    > Read more
    >
    > http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/news/news.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    > Found Images
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
    >


    My first computer (calculator) was a ZX81. I was so proud when I upgraded it
    to 16KB of memory!
    Craig Milverton, Aug 29, 2005
    #17
  18. > I remember my first computer around 1991, it was a BBC Micro.
    > Excellent computer, you could type sentences and it would say them, in
    > a uber-robotic voice.


    Mine was a Dick Smith VZ200 (though Dick Smith did not then exist as a
    retailer where I lived. Rather they supplied other electronics and
    electrical stores with Dick Smith branded products).
    The earliest personal computer I ever used was a classic Tandy TRS-80 of
    which my secondary school had purchased a couple of examples of at huge
    expense in about 1979.
    Fortitudo Dei, Aug 29, 2005
    #18
  19. Max Burke

    ~misfit~ Guest

    RdM wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    > nz.comp<>:
    >
    >> [ ... ] I use the 1084
    >> monitor as a TV in the bedroom hooked up to a DVD/VCR/Tuner combo.
    >> Excellent picture, better than any 14" TV I've seen (and it's only
    >> like, 12" or something).

    >
    > Nonsense! It's a good 13" or 13 1/4" visible like any 14" or so ...
    > no?


    Ahh, yeah, you could be right. :) I only wrote that as I'm on the AC
    Nielsen peoplemeter panel and for a long time they refused to monitor it as
    (they said it was) less than their minimum 14" requirement. Then I split up
    with the missus and she took the main TV and they decided to stretch the
    rules a little. I've never measured it, I was just going by what their tech
    said and it does look small.

    > Actually I have one here with the back off and the pic tube
    > number starts M34...... which I would guess is 34cm, about 13 1/2".
    > The 1082 is equally good, same size. You know they take s-video as
    > well? Just split the C & L into the two RCA plugs at the back and
    > flip/push the CVBS/LCA switch ;-)


    I'd heard about that.

    > But I agree; I only run mine on
    > composite, and people often comment on how good the quality is. No
    > shadowmask grain like yer average older 14" TV! There are a few
    > variants of the 1084 though, electronics wise. I did find one
    > schematic on the web; there's a giant Commodore resource somewhere.


    It's an excellent little CRT. Been in almost constant use since I don't know
    when. I bought it second-hand in about '95 and leant it to a mate who lived
    in a caravan after I bought a 486 a few months later. Then I got it back
    from him and since then it's been my main set as I spend a lot of time
    'resting' my back and it's in the bedroom.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2005
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. coustanis

    Mozilla remembering my passwords

    coustanis, Jun 26, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    422
    coustanis
    Jun 26, 2004
  2. Don
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    2,019
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Feb 11, 2004
  3. Joseph Russo
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    721
    Two Pi R
    Jul 8, 2003
  4. AnonGoo

    FYI: Video on The 80s Puma Computer Shoe

    AnonGoo, Feb 21, 2007, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    427
    Jon Danniken
    Feb 21, 2007
  5. Gregor Ronald

    Bondwell 14 CP/M computer, mid-80s

    Gregor Ronald, Jun 18, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    939
    Crash
    Jun 20, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page