C-750 lens - how much play?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Malcolm Reeves, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I've just got a Olympus C-750 and wonder if the play in the lens
    arrangement is right? With the lens extended (i.e. camera power on)
    you can rock the end of the lens quite easily. Play is about 0.5mm I
    estimate. Is this normal?

    I'm coming from 35mm SLR where lens are more solid. This is my first
    digital.

    TIA

    --

    ....malcolm

    Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
    (, or ).
    Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
    electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

    http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

    NEW - Desktop ToDo/Reminder program (free)

    Malcolm Reeves, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Malcolm Reeves

    al-Farrob Guest

    Malcolm Reeves wrote:

    Don't worry. It works well.
    I have been using the 730 for 14 months now.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just got a Olympus C-750 and wonder if the play in the lens
    > arrangement is right? With the lens extended (i.e. camera power on)
    > you can rock the end of the lens quite easily. Play is about 0.5mm I
    > estimate. Is this normal?
    >
    > I'm coming from 35mm SLR where lens are more solid. This is my first
    > digital.
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > --
    >
    > ...malcolm
    >
    > Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
    > (, or ).
    > Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and
    > Power electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice
    > tips, see:
    >
    > http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk
    >
    > NEW - Desktop ToDo/Reminder program (free)

    --
    al-Farrob
    --
    "16 photographs by al-Farrob"
    http://www.al-farrob.com

    al-Farrob, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Malcolm Reeves

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Malcolm Reeves <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just got a Olympus C-750 and wonder if the play in the lens
    > arrangement is right? With the lens extended (i.e. camera power on)
    > you can rock the end of the lens quite easily. Play is about 0.5mm I
    > estimate. Is this normal?
    >
    > I'm coming from 35mm SLR where lens are more solid. This is my first
    > digital.

    Blimey, didn't know they did it too. I have a Minolta Z1 here, and they
    all do that too. Apparently it's to prevent damage when being carried or
    something.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

    Andy Hewitt, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Malcolm Reeves

    g n p Guest

    NO problem.
    Enjoy your camera, it's really very nice.

    ________________
    G. Paleologopoulos

    g n p, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Malcolm Reeves

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Malcolm Reeves wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just got a Olympus C-750 and wonder if the play in the lens
    > arrangement is right? With the lens extended (i.e. camera power on)
    > you can rock the end of the lens quite easily. Play is about 0.5mm I
    > estimate. Is this normal?
    >
    > I'm coming from 35mm SLR where lens are more solid. This is my first
    > digital.
    >
    > TIA

    Hi...

    My grand daughter has a c-700. It does the same
    thing, each time I touch it it gives me a bit of
    an uneasy feeling. But it's been that way since it
    was new, and continues to operate flawlessly, so guess
    it's normal.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Malcolm Reeves

    Steve B Guest

    My C750 has 0.5mm play. Normal and seems to have no detrimental effect.

    Steve B, Apr 9, 2004
  7. Hi,

    Thanks to all that replied :). I'm a happy bunny now :).

    Malcolm Reeves, Apr 9, 2004