  1. Katie

    Katie Guest

    My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?
    Katie, Dec 10, 2004

  2. On 9 Dec 2004 21:20:18 -0800, "Katie" <>
    wrote:

    >My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?

    Mine is still multitasking:-

    Paper Weight
    Door stop

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!
    Aussie Bomber, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Katie

    Guest

    On 9 Dec 2004 21:20:18 -0800, "Katie" <> wrote:

    |> My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?

    Get a Nokia series 60 phone and e32frodo. Multitask too well, I'll be in
    the middle of a MoonPatrol game and have to take a call.

    --
    , Dec 10, 2004
  4. Katie

    WormWood Guest

    "Katie" <> wrote in message
    > My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?

    Buy another one, preferably with Win3.x OS, DOS 5 and play high stakes
    Gorilla with your mates. This should take your mind off of trivial
    matters such as multi-tasking, shit like that.
    WormWood, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Katie

    Lord Jester Guest

    Katie wrote:

    > My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?

    Get a C128. ;) Or a Coco Model III.. Either of those would do you just fine.

    JesterDev
    Lord Jester, Dec 10, 2004
  6. Katie

    trout Guest

    Katie wrote:

    > My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?

    Three words: Pong Death Match.
    --
    "Winner gets a Sega."
    trout, Dec 10, 2004
  7. Katie

    Joel Rubin Guest

    wrote:

    >My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?

    Well, actually, when you turn on a C'64 (without a cartridge) it IS
    multitasking in some sense. It is running the BASIC rom, but 60
    times/second (that's the NTSC version which was sold in the U.S. and
    Canada - is it 50 in the PAL version?), it is going through an
    interrupt routine which does things like read the keyboard and puts
    any letters being pressed in the keyboard buffer where the BASIC ROM
    reads them.

    There was a GUI operating system called GEOS, by a company called
    Berkeley Softworks, later Geoworks, which first came out for a
    never-produced 6502 notebook, then for the Apple ][, then for the
    C'64, C'128 and finally for the IBMPC. It multitasked although unless
    you had a memory cartridge the multitasking on the C'64, which
    involved swapping to the floppy, was VERY slow.

    There were also programs which added code to the interrupt routine and
    played music or did animation in the background.

    I'm sure you can probably download the various versions of GEOS, with
    various degrees of legality (there's probably no one around to collect
    royalties - I think the IBM version became shareware at some point)
    along with simulators for the C'64 and other "classic" computers.
    Joel Rubin, Dec 10, 2004
  8. Katie

    Guest

    I wouldn't call the OS hardware interrupt routines as multitasking as
    most people use the word. By that definition MS-DOS (pre-windows) was
    multitasking... and about every other OS I can think of off hand.
    Atleast how I use the word, it's speaking of user progs (non-OS).

    GEOS was cool... It went the way GEM (for Atari computers) did.
    Microsoft directly and indirectly killed off its competition for their
    MS Windows. (The GUI wars lol)

    Non-IBM/PC versions (MS was only worried about direct competition with
    Windows) of GEOS and GEM can still be found.
    , Dec 10, 2004
  9. In article <> wrote:

    >I wouldn't call the OS hardware interrupt routines as multitasking as
    >most people use the word. By that definition MS-DOS (pre-windows) was
    >multitasking... and about every other OS I can think of off hand.
    >Atleast how I use the word, it's speaking of user progs (non-OS).
    >
    >GEOS was cool... It went the way GEM (for Atari computers) did.
    >Microsoft directly and indirectly killed off its competition for their
    >MS Windows. (The GUI wars lol)

    The gui wars L l.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Whatsa bot?" -- invntrr
    Lady Chatterly, Dec 10, 2004
  10. On 9 Dec 2004 21:20:18 -0800, "Katie" <>
    wrote:

    >My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?

    Scrap it! Those things never were any good. Go out and buy yourself a
    brand new Atari 800XL instead. It's light years ahead of the
    Crummodore 64, and always will be - always.
    --
    Obscurity in the face of adversity is no dice.
    Jude the Obscure, Dec 11, 2004
  11. >>My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?

    Upgrade it to an Amiga 4000 (68060 @ 60 Mhz / PPC @300 Mhz) with AmigaOS
    3.9 and your worries will be over.

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 13, 2004
  12. Katie

    billybronco Guest

    MichaelJ" <> wrote in message

    >>>My Commodore 64 won't multitask anymore - what can I do?

    Drop your lousy programming skills, and learn to use raster interrupts
    properly. C64 wont multitask indeed. PEBKAC!.
    billybronco, Dec 13, 2004