    All the best ..

    T i m

    p.s. We currently have a couple of F420's and an S7000 ?
    T i m, Jul 14, 2006

  2. T i m

    Steven Toney Guest

    In it's day it's a good 400-500 dollar camera -- it has some lag between
    pictures and with the shutter, but take great pictures -- I still have mine
    too

    fast lens at F1.8 -- so if the camera is in working order swapping for a
    keyboard is a steal........

    Steven Toney, Jul 14, 2006

  3. T i m

    nick c Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:12:27 -0700, T i m <> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > My Daughters schoolmates Son needs a the keyboard replaced on his
    > laptop (I tried to clean it but it's no good) and 'Dad' knew we were
    > looking out for a new camera and offered us an Olympus 5050 as a swap
    > (I have to get / fit the replacement keyboard of course) ;-)
    >
    > He said he bought the camera a while ago, couldn't get on with, bought
    > something else so it's sorta 'spare'?
    >
    > Would it be worth a swap do you think (kbd probably about 40 GBP)? Is
    > it any good. does it have any real vices / weaknesses?
    >
    > All the best ..
    >
    > T i m
    >
    > p.s. We currently have a couple of F420's and an S7000 ?

    I have the Olympus C5050 camera and when I was offered what I paid for it,
    I wouldn't give it up. It's not that I use it very often, 'cause I have
    other cameras that I use, it has a very good fast lens and overall it's a
    very good camera. For me, it's definitely a keeper camera.

    nick c, Jul 15, 2006
  4. T i m

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    T i m <> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > My Daughters schoolmates Son needs a the keyboard replaced on his laptop
    > (I tried to clean it but it's no good) and 'Dad' knew we were looking out
    > for a new camera and offered us an Olympus 5050 as a swap (I have to get /
    > fit the replacement keyboard of course) ;-)
    >
    > He said he bought the camera a while ago, couldn't get on with, bought
    > something else so it's sorta 'spare'?
    >
    > Would it be worth a swap do you think (kbd probably about 40 GBP)? Is it
    > any good. does it have any real vices / weaknesses?
    >
    > All the best ..
    >
    > T i m
    >
    > p.s. We currently have a couple of F420's and an S7000 ?

    The C-5050 is a *very nice* camera. Not as up-to-date as you might hope,
    but the lens is very good and it's almost infinitely configurable. Plus
    you can set it up to do zone focusing.
    Paul Mitchum, Jul 15, 2006
  5. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:06:41 -0700, 0m (Paul Mitchum)
    wrote:

    >T i m <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> My Daughters schoolmates Son needs a the keyboard replaced on his laptop
    >> (I tried to clean it but it's no good) and 'Dad' knew we were looking out
    >> for a new camera and offered us an Olympus 5050 as a swap (I have to get /
    >> fit the replacement keyboard of course) ;-)
    >>
    >> He said he bought the camera a while ago, couldn't get on with, bought
    >> something else so it's sorta 'spare'?
    >>
    >> Would it be worth a swap do you think (kbd probably about 40 GBP)? Is it
    >> any good. does it have any real vices / weaknesses?
    >>
    >> All the best ..
    >>
    >> T i m
    >>
    >> p.s. We currently have a couple of F420's and an S7000 ?

    >The C-5050 is a *very nice* camera. Not as up-to-date as you might hope,
    >but the lens is very good and it's almost infinitely configurable. Plus
    >you can set it up to do zone focusing.

    Thanks for the positive replies (so far) guys ;-)

    It's a shame they didn't think of the swap *before* we bought the Fuji
    S7000 for our Daughter but isn't that always the way ;-(

    He owner of the camera mentioned something about a 'removable flash'
    ...?

    And what sort of battery life (2700mAh NiMH's) would we expect please?

    Are they reliable .. ie do they have any 'known' flaws / weaknesses
    that would render them u/s?

    All the best and thanks again ..

    T i m
    T i m, Jul 15, 2006
  6. T i m

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, T i m says...

    > He owner of the camera mentioned something about a 'removable flash'
    > ..?

    You can attach an external flash to the 5050 (it has a hotshoe).

    > And what sort of battery life (2700mAh NiMH's) would we expect please?

    2700mAh should allow you to take around 300 photos, all with the LCD on.

    > Are they reliable .. ie do they have any 'known' flaws / weaknesses
    > that would render them u/s?

    Yes, very reliable. What can happen is 1) that the mode dial breaks
    (happens in a few cases) and 2) that the internal capacitor which allows
    you to change the batteries without losing the settings breaks (happened
    to me).
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jul 15, 2006
  7. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:16:04 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, T i m says...
    >
    >> He owner of the camera mentioned something about a 'removable flash'
    >> ..?

    >You can attach an external flash to the 5050 (it has a hotshoe).

    Ah, so the original owners obvious lack of understanding etc? I was
    thinking the built in flash my be dismountable and on a short coily
    lead or summat to minimize red-eye ..?

    >> And what sort of battery life (2700mAh NiMH's) would we expect please?

    >2700mAh should allow you to take around 300 photos, all with the LCD on.

    Ok, so quite useable then .. ;-) I assume it also does video?

    >> Are they reliable .. ie do they have any 'known' flaws / weaknesses
    >> that would render them u/s?

    >Yes, very reliable.

    Good .. ;-)

    >What can happen is 1) that the mode dial breaks
    >(happens in a few cases)

    Would that be down to anything predictable Alfred .. like catching it
    on something or is it just a less-than-robust design?

    > and 2) that the internal capacitor which allows
    >you to change the batteries without losing the settings breaks (happened
    >to me).

    Ok, we are used to that now and again with the smaller Fuji cameras.
    You leave the batteries out so the camera doesn't discharge the cells
    faster than they would self-discharge and you have to reset the clock
    (or not <g>) ;-) (Did you get yours repaired and did it cost?)

    So if that's it then it might be worth a go! ;-)

    All the best ..

    T i m
    T i m, Jul 15, 2006
  8. T i m

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, T i m says...
    > Ok, so quite useable then .. ;-) I assume it also does video?

    Of course.

    > >What can happen is 1) that the mode dial breaks
    > >(happens in a few cases)

    > Would that be down to anything predictable Alfred .. like catching it
    > on something or is it just a less-than-robust design?

    Not predictable. But I have always treated my camera with care, carrying
    it in a padded camera bag and not hanging around my neck.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jul 16, 2006
  9. T i m <> writes:

    > Thanks for the positive replies (so far) guys ;-)
    >
    > It's a shame they didn't think of the swap *before* we bought the Fuji
    > S7000 for our Daughter but isn't that always the way ;-(
    >
    > He owner of the camera mentioned something about a 'removable flash'
    > ..?

    The C-5050Z has a hot-shoe and takes the FL-40 flash as a TTL flash. The FL-40
    isn't made any more, and I don't know if the current generation of flashes
    (FL-36, FL-50) support it. The Opteka and Promaster flashes should support it.

    > And what sort of battery life (2700mAh NiMH's) would we expect please?
    >
    > Are they reliable .. ie do they have any 'known' flaws / weaknesses
    > that would render them u/s?

    I've heard some are starting to get capacitor problems where they might not
    keep their settings when changing batteries (but the is probably common to a
    lot of older cameras). You can get the external battery DPS-9000 from Ritz or
    a power cord if you want the settings preserved, and your capacitor doesn't
    hold a charge any more.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 20, 2006
  10. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On 19 Jul 2006 23:23:01 -0400, Michael Meissner
    <> wrote:

    >T i m <> writes:
    >
    >> Thanks for the positive replies (so far) guys ;-)
    >>
    >> It's a shame they didn't think of the swap *before* we bought the Fuji
    >> S7000 for our Daughter but isn't that always the way ;-(
    >>
    >> He owner of the camera mentioned something about a 'removable flash'
    >> ..?

    Hi all and an update for ya ..

    It turns out the owner of the 'Olympus 5050' was more of an idiot (re
    photographic equipment anyway) than I first guessed (or to think I'd
    want to swap a 40 quid laptop keyboard for it!) ;-(

    I popped in the other day to take a look at 'the camera' and when they
    got it out of the box then bag it looked like one of those old cameras
    the pap's you see on b/w films would use, with it's flash mounted on a
    bar underneath (I know that's still used but not looking like this)
    ;-)

    On a not-that-close-an-inspection I noted it was an 'Olympic 5050',
    most likely a 35mm jobby, and looking at the quality, probably bought
    from a market or came free with something? ;-(

    I was quite hoping it was going to be the real thing after getting the
    positive feedback here .. <sigh>

    So, thanks for your input and sorry it was a wild goose chase .. ;-(

    All the best ..

    T i m
    T i m, Jul 28, 2006