    zantoutm Guest

    I want to bypass DeviceLock's security on my local computer, i.e.
    disable DeviceLock; any one can help on this challenge?
    zantoutm, Jan 7, 2007

  2. On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 00:34:06 -0800, zantoutm wrote:

    > I want to bypass DeviceLock's security on my local computer, i.e.
    > disable DeviceLock; any one can help on this challenge?

    Why is the device locking?

    Please tell us more about the PC. What device? What Operating System?

    What problem *specifically* are you having?

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918
    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 7, 2007

  3. zantoutm

    zantoutm Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm running Win XP Proffissional on my PC over Win2k3 domain. I'm in
    charge of evaluating the software whether it can be broke (user can
    stop/disable the service "dlservice.exe" ) or not.
    Note: DeviceLock is a policy based access control solution that enables
    control of USB and FireWire portable storage devices accross the
    network. You can cotroll reading, writing or both together.

    Regards,

    M. Zantout

    zantoutm, Jan 7, 2007
  4. On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 04:24:00 -0800, zantoutm wrote:

    > I'm running Win XP Proffissional on my PC over Win2k3 domain. I'm in
    > charge of evaluating the software whether it can be broke (user can
    > stop/disable the service "dlservice.exe" ) or not.
    > Note: DeviceLock is a policy based access control solution that enables
    > control of USB and FireWire portable storage devices accross the
    > network. You can cotroll reading, writing or both together.

    If it is controlled by policy, then clearly the way to change access to
    that device is by changing the policy.

    I suggest that you persue that avenue of enquiry.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 7, 2007
  5. zantoutm

    Phil Guest

    zantoutm wrote, On 7/01/07 9.34 p:
    > I want to bypass DeviceLock's security on my local computer, i.e.
    > disable DeviceLock; any one can help on this challenge?

    It looks pretty good.
    The first way that comes to my mind is booting up the machine with a
    boot disk and actually remove it (although you can generally put some
    protections against this, it really depends on how determined they are).

    -Phil
    Phil, Jan 7, 2007
  6. zantoutm

    whome Guest

    "Dianthus Mimulus" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 04:24:00 -0800, zantoutm wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running Win XP Proffissional on my PC over Win2k3 domain. I'm in
    >> charge of evaluating the software whether it can be broke (user can
    >> stop/disable the service "dlservice.exe" ) or not.
    >> Note: DeviceLock is a policy based access control solution that enables
    >> control of USB and FireWire portable storage devices accross the
    >> network. You can cotroll reading, writing or both together.

    > If it is controlled by policy, then clearly the way to change access to
    > that device is by changing the policy.
    >
    > I suggest that you persue that avenue of enquiry.
    >

    > --
    > Dianthus Mimulus
    >
    > Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    > http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Do you know what you are talking about?
    whome, Jan 8, 2007
  7. zantoutm

    zantoutm Guest

    Hi Phil,

    Another solution came to my mind is to install "virtual machine" on the
    PC, by this we should be able to get access to the PC resources
    independently from the original O.S. !!

    Regards,

    zantoutm, Jan 8, 2007
  8. zantoutm

    Phil Guest

    zantoutm wrote, On 8/01/07 10.27 p:
    > Hi Phil,
    >
    > Another solution came to my mind is to install "virtual machine" on the
    > PC, by this we should be able to get access to the PC resources
    > independently from the original O.S. !!

    I don't know specifically how DeviceLock works, but a VM has to proxy
    hardware access through the host system and will probably be blocked.
    You might want to test this though.

    -Phil
    Phil, Jan 8, 2007
  9. zantoutm wrote:
    > Hi Phil,
    >
    > Another solution came to my mind is to install "virtual machine" on the
    > PC, by this we should be able to get access to the PC resources
    > independently from the original O.S. !!
    >
    > Regards,

    If I have the security permission to install Virtual Machine software,
    then I also have permission to disable your device blocking software

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 8, 2007
  10. zantoutm

    zantoutm Guest

    There is one DLL file related to this software called "DLGPC.DLL", when
    I right click it and checked the properties, I didn't find the
    "Security" tab nor even "Share" tab !!? it means that this software
    tackes the control from the Local Admin. on this security portion for
    this file.

    zantoutm,

    zantoutm, Jan 9, 2007
  11. zantoutm

    Phil Guest

    zantoutm wrote, On 10/01/07 1.10 a:
    > There is one DLL file related to this software called "DLGPC.DLL", when
    > I right click it and checked the properties, I didn't find the
    > "Security" tab nor even "Share" tab !!? it means that this software
    > tackes the control from the Local Admin. on this security portion for
    > this file.

    No. This is typically because you have 'simple file sharing' turned on
    in your folder options.

    -Phil
    Phil, Jan 9, 2007
  12. zantoutm

    zantoutm Guest

    Yes, "simple file sharing" option is ticked, accordingly I can see all
    the "Security" tab for any .DLL file (and other files as will) under
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\" except the "DLGPC.DLL" file

    zantoutm,

    zantoutm, Jan 9, 2007