Bye Bye paradise.net.nz newsgroup service

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RayC, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. RayC

    RayC Guest

    gone at midnight.

    run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    groups for 3 years.

    Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.

    well it was your deliberate action to achieve.

    You are nothing but a group of liars.

    I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    support backed up to prove this.

    Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service

    you bastards.

    RayC, Dec 1, 2008

  2. RayC

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:48:09 +1300, in message <ggvtqt$hjj$>,
    RayC wrote:

    > gone at midnight.

    It's churn time.

    > run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    > groups for 3 years.
    >
    > Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    >
    > well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    >
    > You are nothing but a group of liars.
    >
    > I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    > support backed up to prove this.
    >
    > Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service

    $US 2.95 a month here ($NZ 5.36 at current exchange rates).

    Ralph Fox, Dec 1, 2008

  3. On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:48:09 +1300, "RayC" <>
    wrote:

    >gone at midnight.
    >
    >run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    >groups for 3 years.
    >
    >Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    >
    >well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    >
    >You are nothing but a group of liars.
    >
    >I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    >support backed up to prove this.
    >
    >Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service
    >
    >you bastards.

    So who now would be New Zealand's premier Full Service ISP ???

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Dec 1, 2008
  4. RayC

    Peter M Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:48:09 +1300, "RayC" <> wrote:

    >gone at midnight.
    >
    >run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    >groups for 3 years.
    >
    >Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    >
    >well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    >
    >You are nothing but a group of liars.
    >
    >I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    >support backed up to prove this.
    >
    >Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service
    >
    >you bastards.

    What is so bad is they did not even let us know they were dropping this
    service, how deceitful.

    Usenet is part of the Internet, MS Outlook shows that..

    May be some complaints to the commerce commission might sort this out..

    Peter M, Dec 1, 2008
  5. RayC

    Geopelia Guest

    "Peter M" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:48:09 +1300, "RayC" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>gone at midnight.
    >>
    >>run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    >>groups for 3 years.
    >>
    >>Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    >>
    >>well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    >>
    >>You are nothing but a group of liars.
    >>
    >>I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    >>support backed up to prove this.
    >>
    >>Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service
    >>
    >>you bastards.
    >>

    > What is so bad is they did not even let us know they were dropping this
    > service, how deceitful.
    >
    > Usenet is part of the Internet, MS Outlook shows that..
    >
    > May be some complaints to the commerce commission might sort this out..

    Or "Fair Go".

    Geopelia, Dec 1, 2008
  6. On Dec 1, 9:31 pm, Peter M <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:48:09 +1300, "RayC" <> wrote:
    > >gone at midnight.

    > >run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    > >groups for 3 years.

    > >Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.

    > >well it was your deliberate action to achieve.

    > >You are nothing but a group of liars.

    > >I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    > >support backed up to prove this.

    > >Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service

    > >you bastards.

    > What is so bad is they did not even let us know they were dropping this
    > service, how deceitful.

    Supposedly they sent out letters to business customers - they just
    "forgot" about everyone else.

    > Usenet is part of the Internet, MS Outlook shows that..
    >
    > May be some complaints to the commerce commission might sort this out..

    Seems doubtful that the commerce commission could/would do much.

    I believe NetWin has discontinued DNews (the server software
    TelstraClear was using). In order to keep providing the service they
    would eventually have had to find someone who knew something about
    usenet to migrate their system over to something like INN. I imagine
    this could be the reason why TelstraClear has discontinued the news
    service now. Easier and cheaper to just dump a service that few of
    their subscribers use than fix it.

    David Goodwin, Dec 1, 2008
  7. RayC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:48:09 +1300, "RayC" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> gone at midnight.
    >>
    >> run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    >> groups for 3 years.
    >>
    >> Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    >>
    >> well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    >>
    >> You are nothing but a group of liars.
    >>
    >> I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    >> support backed up to prove this.
    >>
    >> Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service
    >>
    >> you bastards.

    > So who now would be New Zealand's premier Full Service ISP ???

    I'm happy with Actrix Cyberjet.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 1, 2008
  8. RayC wrote:
    > gone at midnight.
    >
    > run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    > groups for 3 years.
    >
    > Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    >
    > well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    >
    > You are nothing but a group of liars.
    >
    > I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    > support backed up to prove this.
    >
    > Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service
    >
    > you bastards.

    Ray, You don't have to pay for a news server, I have migrated to
    Motzarella, still read it via Thunderbird and can't tell the difference
    except it's more extensive list of groups. :)

    Southern Kiwi, Dec 1, 2008
  9. RayC

    Tony Guest

    "> gone at midnight.

    > run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    > groups for 3 years.
    >
    > Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    >
    > well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    >
    > You are nothing but a group of liars.
    >
    > I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    > support backed up to prove this.
    >
    > Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service
    >
    > you bastards.

    More fool you. Xnet has no intention of phasing out their usenet server, the
    solution to your problem is very simple.

    Tony, Dec 1, 2008
  10. RayC

    John Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 07:48:39 +1300, Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > RayC wrote:
    >> gone at midnight.
    >>
    >> run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    >> groups for 3 years.
    >>
    >> Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    >>
    >> well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    >>
    >> You are nothing but a group of liars.
    >>
    >> I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    >> support backed up to prove this.
    >>
    >> Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service
    >>
    >> you bastards.
    >>

    > Ray, You don't have to pay for a news server, I have migrated to
    > Motzarella, still read it via Thunderbird and can't tell the difference
    > except it's more extensive list of groups. :)

    Likewise, I changed to Mozzarella sometime ago when TelstraClear first
    started to have problems, never regretted changing. If you ever need
    to contact Wolfgang he replies almost immediately, great free service.

    John, Dec 1, 2008
  11. RayC

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <newscache$mdo7bk$gg2$>,
    says...

    > "> gone at midnight.
    > >
    > > run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    > > groups for 3 years.
    > >
    > > Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    > >
    > > well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    > >
    > > You are nothing but a group of liars.
    > >
    > > I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    > > support backed up to prove this.
    > >
    > > Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service
    > >
    > > you bastards.
    > >

    > More fool you. Xnet has no intention of phasing out their usenet server, the
    > solution to your problem is very simple.

    Not if you're on cable.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Dec 1, 2008
  12. RayC

    RayC Guest

    > Likewise, I changed to Mozzarella sometime ago when TelstraClear first
    > started to have problems, never regretted changing. If you ever need
    > to contact Wolfgang he replies almost immediately, great free service.

    Mozzarella is text only, fat lot of good for me.

    Thought the subject was full service news

    RayC, Dec 2, 2008
  13. On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 19:35:26 +1300, joe_90 <joe_90_no@spam_hush.com>
    wrote:

    >Don't get too upset, your ISP could always kill its news server and then
    >throttle the life out of NNTP so that even the few alternative free,
    >text only, news servers become unreliable and regularly time out on
    >downloading new headers.
    >
    >Of course it's all totally acceptable because it falls under the guise
    >of 'prioritisation', which I believe is standard practice within the
    >industry.
    >
    >The word 'slingshot' springs to mind.

    Yes, I am leaving Slingshot at the end of my billing month. When it
    takes a minute or more just to get one text post from the server it
    drives you completely mad. I talked to a support supervisor about it
    and he eventually told me that they were doing it deliberately to
    prevent NNTP downloads "due to what they had discovered people were
    downloading". So Slingshot are clearly doing the big brother trick
    and watching people's traffic. I would advise anyone who is with
    Slingshot and who likes their privacy to go elsewhere as soon as
    possible. And to encrypt all possible traffic in the mean time.

    Stephen Worthington, Dec 2, 2008
  14. RayC

    Guest

    On Dec 1, 6:48 pm, "RayC" <> wrote:
    > gone at midnight.
    >
    > run down deliberately by not adding any new or requested
    > groups for 3 years.
    >
    > Then sticking the knife in and saying the usage was in decline.
    >
    > well it was your deliberate action to achieve.
    >
    > You are nothing but a group of liars.
    >
    > I have heaps of emails to the newsmaster or
    > support backed up to prove this.
    >
    > Now I pay $18.00 a month for replacement service
    >
    > you bastards.

    Use google groups?

    , Dec 2, 2008
  15. RayC

    Adam Guest

    >> So who now would be New Zealand's premier Full Service ISP ???

    > I'm happy with Actrix Cyberjet.

    Some say Orcon are good. Not sure if they have the Usenet
    newsgroups - so must give them a call and ask.

    The Usenet newsgroups have been around for more than
    20 years. And are still around. Part of a standard ISP
    service.

    An NZ ISP that doesn't provide Usenet newsgroups should
    be castigated repeatedly as substandard.

    Still looking for the Full Service NZ ISP.

    Adam, Dec 2, 2008
  16. On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:14:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >Allistar wrote:
    >> That's a dispicable practice for an ISP.

    >ISP pretty much all do traffic shaping. Unfortunately they target NNTP and
    >FTP, but not other clearly fatuous traffic.
    >
    >Giganews has a 'local host' encryption applet that attempts to get around
    >this.
    >
    >geoff

    There is traffic shaping and then there is deliberately making
    something impossible to use. Slingshot has NNTP running at well below
    dial-up speed, and it is so slow that a lot of the pitiful bandwidth
    gets used up by retransmissions due to timeouts.

    And while encryption helps, they still have my encrypted traffic to
    Easynews running at less than dial-up speed. At least with encrypted
    NNTP, I do not seem to have many retransmissions, and the native speed
    is a little higher than with unencrypted NNTP. So NNTPS is my best
    option until I can leave Slingshot.

    Unless they are doing a man-in-the-middle attack and breaking the
    encryption (is that even possible?), then I expect that they have a
    list of known NNTP server addresses and are simply slowing all traffic
    to those addresses.

    And no, not all ISPs do silly things like this. When I was with
    Vodafone (Ihug) a couple of months ago, all traffic seemed to be
    treated equally. At peak times, everything was a little slow, but for
    large parts of the day I could get downloads as fast as my ADSL
    allowed, whatever protocol or port I was using. Browsing for web
    pages was a bit slower than it is at Slingshot, but *everything* else
    was faster.

    Stephen Worthington, Dec 3, 2008
  17. RayC

    Peter M Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 02:13:37 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:14:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Allistar wrote:
    >>> That's a dispicable practice for an ISP.

    >>ISP pretty much all do traffic shaping. Unfortunately they target NNTP and
    >>FTP, but not other clearly fatuous traffic.
    >>
    >>Giganews has a 'local host' encryption applet that attempts to get around
    >>this.
    >>
    >>geoff

    >There is traffic shaping and then there is deliberately making
    >something impossible to use. Slingshot has NNTP running at well below
    >dial-up speed, and it is so slow that a lot of the pitiful bandwidth
    >gets used up by retransmissions due to timeouts.
    >
    >And while encryption helps, they still have my encrypted traffic to
    >Easynews running at less than dial-up speed. At least with encrypted
    >NNTP, I do not seem to have many retransmissions, and the native speed
    >is a little higher than with unencrypted NNTP. So NNTPS is my best
    >option until I can leave Slingshot.

    With Easynews you do not have to use NNTP at all, they provide a direct
    decoded FTP ? dnload some 30% smaller in some cases..

    There is even a Shell to make it so easy to use..

    There are only a few NNTP sites that do this, direct decoded dnloads.

    LeechGuy
    The premier binary downloader for NewsGuy and Easynews.

    http://memweb.newsguy.com/~leechguy/history.htm

    Peter M, Dec 3, 2008
  18. On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 17:18:35 +1300, Peter M <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 02:13:37 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    ><34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >
    >>Unless they are doing a man-in-the-middle attack and breaking the
    >>encryption (is that even possible?), then I expect that they have a
    >>list of known NNTP server addresses and are simply slowing all traffic
    >>to those addresses.
    >>
    >>And no, not all ISPs do silly things like this. When I was with
    >>Vodafone (Ihug) a couple of months ago, all traffic seemed to be
    >>treated equally. At peak times, everything was a little slow, but for
    >>large parts of the day I could get downloads as fast as my ADSL
    >>allowed, whatever protocol or port I was using. Browsing for web
    >>pages was a bit slower than it is at Slingshot, but *everything* else
    >>was faster.

    >>On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:14:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>ISP pretty much all do traffic shaping. Unfortunately they target NNTP and
    >>>FTP, but not other clearly fatuous traffic.
    >>>
    >>>Giganews has a 'local host' encryption applet that attempts to get around
    >>>this.
    >>>
    >>>geoff

    >>There is traffic shaping and then there is deliberately making
    >>something impossible to use. Slingshot has NNTP running at well below
    >>dial-up speed, and it is so slow that a lot of the pitiful bandwidth
    >>gets used up by retransmissions due to timeouts.
    >>
    >>And while encryption helps, they still have my encrypted traffic to
    >>Easynews running at less than dial-up speed. At least with encrypted
    >>NNTP, I do not seem to have many retransmissions, and the native speed
    >>is a little higher than with unencrypted NNTP. So NNTPS is my best
    >>option until I can leave Slingshot.

    >With Easynews you do not have to use NNTP at all, they provide a direct
    >decoded FTP ? dnload some 30% smaller in some cases..
    >
    >There is even a Shell to make it so easy to use..
    >
    >There are only a few NNTP sites that do this, direct decoded dnloads.
    >

    >LeechGuy
    >The premier binary downloader for NewsGuy and Easynews.
    >
    >http://memweb.newsguy.com/~leechguy/history.htm

    Yes, you can indeed download binaries using HTTP from the Easynews web
    interface. The cost to your Easynews download quota is 1:1. If you
    download from NNTP, they give you an extra allowance of 30% or so to
    make up for things being UUEncoded. But most things are now yEnc
    encoded, which increases their size by typically 1-3% instead of 30%+
    for UUEncoding. So it is better to download via NNTP from Easynews.
    And if you are downloading from their beta servers (*.us.easynews.com
    or *.eu.easynews.com), they give you another huge discount on top of
    that at the moment.

    Stephen Worthington, Dec 3, 2008
  19. RayC

    Peter M Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 08:22:31 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 17:18:35 +1300, Peter M <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 02:13:37 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    >><34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Unless they are doing a man-in-the-middle attack and breaking the
    >>>encryption (is that even possible?), then I expect that they have a
    >>>list of known NNTP server addresses and are simply slowing all traffic
    >>>to those addresses.
    >>>
    >>>And no, not all ISPs do silly things like this. When I was with
    >>>Vodafone (Ihug) a couple of months ago, all traffic seemed to be
    >>>treated equally. At peak times, everything was a little slow, but for
    >>>large parts of the day I could get downloads as fast as my ADSL
    >>>allowed, whatever protocol or port I was using. Browsing for web
    >>>pages was a bit slower than it is at Slingshot, but *everything* else
    >>>was faster.

    >>>There is traffic shaping and then there is deliberately making
    >>>something impossible to use. Slingshot has NNTP running at well below
    >>>dial-up speed, and it is so slow that a lot of the pitiful bandwidth
    >>>gets used up by retransmissions due to timeouts.
    >>>
    >>>And while encryption helps, they still have my encrypted traffic to
    >>>Easynews running at less than dial-up speed. At least with encrypted
    >>>NNTP, I do not seem to have many retransmissions, and the native speed
    >>>is a little higher than with unencrypted NNTP. So NNTPS is my best
    >>>option until I can leave Slingshot.

    >>With Easynews you do not have to use NNTP at all, they provide a direct
    >>decoded FTP ? dnload some 30% smaller in some cases..
    >>
    >>There is even a Shell to make it so easy to use..
    >>
    >>There are only a few NNTP sites that do this, direct decoded dnloads.
    >>

    >>LeechGuy
    >>The premier binary downloader for NewsGuy and Easynews.
    >>
    >>http://memweb.newsguy.com/~leechguy/history.htm

    >Yes, you can indeed download binaries using HTTP from the Easynews web
    >interface. The cost to your Easynews download quota is 1:1. If you
    >download from NNTP, they give you an extra allowance of 30% or so to
    >make up for things being UUEncoded. But most things are now yEnc
    >encoded, which increases their size by typically 1-3% instead of 30%+
    >for UUEncoding. So it is better to download via NNTP from Easynews.
    >And if you are downloading from their beta servers (*.us.easynews.com
    >or *.eu.easynews.com), they give you another huge discount on top of
    >that at the moment.

    Yes but the complain was that the NNTP was being throttled, the Binaries can
    use port 80/81 and the shell makes it so easy, I used to use it all the
    time..

    ..

    Peter M, Dec 3, 2008
  20. RayC

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 02:31:02 +1300, in message <gh1ifh$9a3$>,
    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > > So who now would be New Zealand's premier Full Service ISP ???

    > I'm happy with Actrix Cyberjet.

    Do the daily caps affect you?

    I read that Actrix has daily caps instead of monthly caps,
    and Actrix slows you down to 64Kb/s when you exceed the daily cap.
    http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=40#3

    If I needed to download a .iso one month, on a 2GB monthly cap
    it would download in reasonable time, but on the equivalent
    70MB daily cap it would take ages and ages.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Dec 3, 2008