    MySQL. But I always thought there was more to worry about with the other
    two: their open-source communities were much less robust, and Java in
    particular was only grudgingly open-sourced, and even then not completely.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2010

  2. On 1 Apr, 17:24, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Apparently OpenSolaris is now considered 90-day “trialware”, after which
    > Oracle wants you to either stop using it or buy the proprietary version
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6154>.
    >
    > Of all the three main Sun open-source products—Java, MySQL and OpenSolaris—
    > and what would happen to them under Oracle, the most fear was raised about
    > MySQL. But I always thought there was more to worry about with the other
    > two: their open-source communities were much less robust, and Java in
    > particular was only grudgingly open-sourced, and even then not completely..

    I've had a dig around but it seems OpenSolaris is unaffected by this.
    That article seems to have got Solaris 10 mixed up with OpenSolaris.
    It seems Oracle has decided that the version for download on their
    website should just be a 90 trial version. Solaris 10 is and has
    always been proprietary software and I believe a support contract has
    always been required to get access to its updates.

    OpenSolaris is still around for now - I think their next release has
    just been delayed a bit.

    David Goodwin, Apr 2, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Malcolm Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 20:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
    David Goodwin <> wrote:

    > On 1 Apr, 17:24, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > Apparently OpenSolaris is now considered 90-day “trialwareâ€, after
    > > which Oracle wants you to either stop using it or buy the
    > > proprietary version <http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6154>.
    > >
    > > Of all the three main Sun open-source products—Java, MySQL and
    > > OpenSolaris— and what would happen to them under Oracle, the most
    > > fear was raised about MySQL. But I always thought there was more to
    > > worry about with the other two: their open-source communities were
    > > much less robust, and Java in particular was only grudgingly
    > > open-sourced, and even then not completely.

    > I've had a dig around but it seems OpenSolaris is unaffected by this.
    > That article seems to have got Solaris 10 mixed up with OpenSolaris.
    > It seems Oracle has decided that the version for download on their
    > website should just be a 90 trial version. Solaris 10 is and has
    > always been proprietary software and I believe a support contract has
    > always been required to get access to its updates.
    >
    > OpenSolaris is still around for now - I think their next release has
    > just been delayed a bit.

    Hi
    There were some updates you couldn't get but I never seemed to have
    trouble logging in to my account and getting the recommended patch
    package (maybe that will change).... oh well.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default

    Malcolm, Apr 2, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On Apr 1, 5:24 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Apparently OpenSolaris is now considered 90-day “trialware”, after which
    > Oracle wants you to either stop using it or buy the proprietary version
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6154>.
    >
    > Of all the three main Sun open-source products—Java, MySQL and OpenSolaris—
    > and what would happen to them under Oracle, the most fear was raised about
    > MySQL. But I always thought there was more to worry about with the other
    > two: their open-source communities were much less robust, and Java in
    > particular was only grudgingly open-sourced, and even then not completely..

    It will be interesting to watch....the danger has always been that the
    proprietry part will bite....your code is now theirs....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Apr 2, 2010