Bye Bye Darkroom

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PTRAVEL, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    I've just packed up and shipped off everything from my color darkroom to
    someone who bought it from me on eBay. Good bye to fumbling around in
    absolute darkroom, standing with my hands in god-knows-what-toxic chemical,
    monitoring temperatures, fiddling with color computers, waiting overnight
    for prints to dry, trashing prints because a drop of chemical caused
    contamination, etc.!

    Last week, I pulled my first 13x19 print shot on my Canon 10d and printed on
    my Canon i9100 after I had calibrated my monitor and printer. It was
    gorgeous -- no visible grain (I didn't inspect it with a loupe -- not reason
    to, as that's not how I view photographs), rich saturated color, sharp
    detail, great contrast; this print was better than anything I've ever
    produced in the darkroom. Sure, I suppose, in theory, it's possible to pull
    a better large print (I used to make 16x20s) using chemical film, but I was
    never such a purist that I was willing to spend hours producing a single
    print. My all-digital print is more than good enough for my purposes, which
    go no further than mounting it and hanging it on a wall in my den or office,
    and leaving it there only until I get tired of it and print something else.

    Bye bye darkroom! It's been fun, but it's really time to move on.

    PTRAVEL, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Hi PTRAVEL

    > Last week, I pulled my first 13x19 print shot on my Canon 10d and printed on
    > my Canon i9100 after I had calibrated my monitor and printer. It was
    > gorgeous -- no visible grain (I didn't inspect it with a loupe -- not reason
    > to, as that's not how I view photographs), rich saturated color, sharp
    > detail, great contrast; this print was better than anything I've ever
    > produced in the darkroom.

    Amazing, isn't it ? Who ever woulda thunk it ?

    Happy printing !

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Sep 19, 2003

  3. PTRAVEL

    bmoag Guest

    You have much to learn, grasshopper.

    bmoag, Sep 19, 2003
  4. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > You have much to learn, grasshopper.

    Um, meaning what?

    I've been doing chemical photography for more than 40 years, I do NLE, using
    prosumer tools, for at least 5 years, and I've been experimenting with
    digital manipulation of still images (from negative scans) for around 7
    years, which included both printing and using the resulting images in my
    videos for montages, titles and plate shots.

    What is it you think I don't know?

    PTRAVEL, Sep 19, 2003
  5. PTRAVEL

    Bryce Guest

    Hey. Buck up 'lil camper. Get some skin.

    You can do it for 100 years and still have lot's to learn.

    Bryce, Sep 19, 2003
  6. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Bryce" <> wrote in message
    > Hey. Buck up 'lil camper. Get some skin.
    >
    > You can do it for 100 years and still have lot's to learn.

    I agree. I don't, by any means, think I know all there is to know about
    this subject. I just find snide and cryptic one-line comments, like
    "bmoag"'s, to be particularly pointless and unhelpful.

    PTRAVEL, Sep 19, 2003
  7. PTRAVEL

    Bryce Guest

    It *was* pretty pointless. I give you that.

    But in usenet, it's a waste of time to get angry. It's just zero's and one's
    coming through and you will never meet the "person" on the other end.

    Bryce, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Hi PTRAVEL

    > I just find snide and cryptic one-line comments, like
    > "bmoag"'s, to be particularly pointless and unhelpful.

    Yep.

    If it makes you feel a bit better: it's been my experience that
    if you ever meet one of the folks who make stupid/nasty/jerky
    posts on the 'net in real life, they turn out to be sad introverted
    pathetic losers of either the zit-scarred pencil-necked or bath-needy
    lardbutt variety, dressed in semen-stained clothing.

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Sep 19, 2003
  9. PTRAVEL

    Bryce Guest

    you actually meet these people?

    Bryce, Sep 19, 2003
  10. Hi Bryce

    > you actually meet these people?

    <grin> Yep, in the past tense.
    Years ago I wrote columns for
    Dr. Dobbs, and did work for Microsoft,
    both of which gigs gave me occasion to
    meet such shmendriks. Oy vey.

    [These days, I just stay parked up my creek
    in the mountains in the middle of beauteous
    nowhere.]

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Sep 19, 2003
  11. PTRAVEL

    Bryce Guest

    Okay. You scared me there. Normally, you are not supposed to meet any of
    these people. I'm not supposed to me you, nor are you supposed to meet me.
    No offense taken, right? It's just that meeting people on the internet and
    not out in public is just kinda strange and fake, and basically, just
    totally fucked up.

    Bryce, Sep 19, 2003
  12. PTRAVEL

    jriegle Guest

    I think digital is cool and I'll probably never go beyond home developing
    color slides, but working in a darkroom is part of the fun of the hobby (if
    it IS a hobby and not a pro thing. Even then...).

    There is much to being lost in our fast food instant gratification society.

    Oh well, it will be soon that I'll have no use for film period...
    John

    jriegle, Sep 19, 2003
  13. "Stanley Krute" <> wrote in

    > Hi Bryce
    >
    >> you actually meet these people?

    > <grin> Yep, in the past tense.
    > Years ago I wrote columns for
    > Dr. Dobbs

    Hey Dr Dobbs was one of my favourites...I will have to dig out some of
    my back issues and look for you, good stuff.

    Mike Latondresse, Sep 20, 2003