    Thanks for all the vista advice i have been given on these forums.
    --
    kim m

    kim m, Apr 23, 2008

  2. kim m

    Ralph Guest

    I'd suggest backing up all your data first, and do a "clean" install. (but
    I'm not from MS)

    Ralph, Apr 24, 2008

  3. Make a full backup of your system if you think it is needed.
    Or you just make very sure you have all your data (Documents/photo's etc etc
    etc) backup on a different media.
    Get the needed hardware drivers off the web and burn those on a CD or save
    them on any other external device (USB-harddrive).
    You could even go as far as downloading Service Pack 2 (SP2). This way if
    you lack SP2 on the orginal disk you can install and use the very simple
    Windows Firewall (part of SP2) when you connect to the Internet for the first
    time after this fresh installment.

    Whip out the orginal WXP CD and do a format of the system disk (usually C).
    Re-install XP.
    Re-stall drivers
    Re-install SP2
    Re-install Anti-virus/anti-maiware
    Re-install applications (from orginal disks only).
    Update all software.
    Re-install applications you downloaded in the past.
    Update all software once again.

    Scan the backup-data first before coping them to you laptop.
    When you upgrade an OS ontop of a previous version there is no option to
    downgrade it far as I can tell.

    PaladinWxpX64, Apr 24, 2008
  4. kim m

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I am only familiar with a couple of notebooks from the Sony line. However,
    in general with laptops, it is easier to change one to XP (whichever SKU) if
    that model was available with some XP version. The Sony www site has
    downloads but what is available depends on the model. And you will need
    appropriate drivers. So, do check there before you start. If you know what
    Sony DL site lacks and what the hardware requires, you might be able to find
    it on the particular maker's site: wireless network, sound drivers et al.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Apr 24, 2008