    The availability of high end lenses is a real advantage to choosing
    Nikon or Canon bodies, especially when you can rent an expensive lens
    that you don't need very often.

    SMS, May 11, 2006

  2. SMS

    Burt Guest

    Yup, seems a good way to go.

    I am in the UK and I must admit I have bookmarked a company called Calumet
    for when I need to shoot something a bit special. I have not used them yet,
    but I will keep them in mind for a one off.

    A bit more trickier when hiring prime lenses though, as you don't
    necessarily know how far you will be from the subject, etc. beforehand.
    Unless you hire a couple of them.

    UK price list below for those who are interested:

    http://webres.calumetphoto.com/webres/pdfs/UKRental04.pdf

    Burt, May 11, 2006

  3. SMS

    RichA Guest

    Seems fair. Around the same price as renting a mid-sized to luxury car
    for a day. :)

    RichA, May 11, 2006
  4. SMS

    Burt Guest

    ;-)) That is actually a good point!

    Burt, May 11, 2006
  5. SMS

    SMS Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > Seems fair. Around the same price as renting a mid-sized to luxury car
    > for a day. :)

    Car rentals are abnormally low priced compared to many types of rentals.
    Look how much it costs to rent a bicycle for a day, about the same as a
    car at $25-30. The typical rental bicycle costs the rental shop around
    $200, so the fixed cost is recovered in about eight days of rentals. Of
    course this doesn't take into account all the other costs, insurance,
    property rental, labor, etc., but it's still a very high margin business.

    I guess that part of the reason is that a car is less likely to be
    stolen, and the rental agency has insurance on it, as well as the
    ability to go after the renter if the vehicle isn't returned. Other
    products are rented by companies that aren't set up to deal with fraud.

    SMS, May 11, 2006
  6. SMS

    John Malone Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote in message
    > RichA wrote:
    >> Seems fair. Around the same price as renting a mid-sized to luxury car
    >> for a day. :)

    > Car rentals are abnormally low priced compared to many types of rentals.
    > Look how much it costs to rent a bicycle for a day, about the same as a
    > car at $25-30. The typical rental bicycle costs the rental shop around
    > $200, so the fixed cost is recovered in about eight days of rentals. Of
    > course this doesn't take into account all the other costs, insurance,
    > property rental, labor, etc., but it's still a very high margin business.
    >
    > I guess that part of the reason is that a car is less likely to be stolen,
    > and the rental agency has insurance on it, as well as the ability to go
    > after the renter if the vehicle isn't returned. Other products are rented
    > by companies that aren't set up to deal with fraud.

    I've been getting killed on the high rental car rates in the US this year -
    company as well as individual via Hotwire and Priceline.
    Seems they have almost doubled from a few years ago...

    John Malone, May 11, 2006
  7. SMS

    SMS Guest

    John Malone wrote:
    > "SMS" <> wrote in message
    >> RichA wrote:
    >>> Seems fair. Around the same price as renting a mid-sized to luxury car
    >>> for a day. :)

    >> Car rentals are abnormally low priced compared to many types of rentals.
    >> Look how much it costs to rent a bicycle for a day, about the same as a
    >> car at $25-30. The typical rental bicycle costs the rental shop around
    >> $200, so the fixed cost is recovered in about eight days of rentals. Of
    >> course this doesn't take into account all the other costs, insurance,
    >> property rental, labor, etc., but it's still a very high margin business.
    >>
    >> I guess that part of the reason is that a car is less likely to be stolen,
    >> and the rental agency has insurance on it, as well as the ability to go
    >> after the renter if the vehicle isn't returned. Other products are rented
    >> by companies that aren't set up to deal with fraud.

    > I've been getting killed on the high rental car rates in the US this year -
    > company as well as individual via Hotwire and Priceline.
    > Seems they have almost doubled from a few years ago...

    I've been surprised on how cheap the rental rates have become in the
    U.S. In NYC they used to really gouge for rentals at the airports, but I
    got a very good deal on a one week rental from Budget. My wife and kids
    are going on a cruise in Florida, and it's much cheaper to rent a car to
    get from MCO to Port Canaveral than to take a shuttle, only about $37
    for a car rental, including tax.

    Use sidestep.com.

    SMS, May 11, 2006