BW Pics

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Switching to BW and cranking up the LCD brightness seems to help a bit with
    composition...

    Now, the backgrounds need attention.

    Homework:
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.jpg (full size)
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework-small.jpg (quick
    load)
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.cr2 (original RAW)

    Unplugged:
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged.jpg (full size)
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged-small.jpg (quick
    load)
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged.cr2 (original RAW)

    Portrait of a guide dog:
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich.jpg (full size)
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich-small.jpg (quick load)
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich.cr2 (original RAW)

    As always, comments / critiques are both welcome and appreciated...

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009

  2. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 3/6/09 9:00 AM, in article 2Uasl.15549$Db2.108@edtnps83, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Switching to BW and cranking up the LCD brightness seems to help a bit
    >> with
    >> composition...
    >>
    >> Now, the backgrounds need attention.
    >>
    >> Homework:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.jpg (full size)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework-small.jpg (quick
    >> load)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.cr2 (original
    >> RAW)
    >>
    >> Unplugged:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged.jpg (full size)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged-small.jpg
    >> (quick
    >> load)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged.cr2 (original
    >> RAW)
    >>

    >> Portrait of a guide dog:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich.jpg (full size)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich-small.jpg (quick
    >> load)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich.cr2 (original RAW)
    >>
    >> As always, comments / critiques are both welcome and appreciated...
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > Hello Dudley!
    >
    > All I get when I click on any of your buttons is:
    >
    > "PAGE NOT FOUND
    >
    > We cannot locate the page you're looking for. Please check the address and
    > make sure all letters are lowercased with no spaces. You may also move to
    > different page by using the links in the menu bar above."
    >
    > Thought you might want to know...

    Thanks, George, I'm not sure what is wrong. The server seems to be down.
    I'll check to see what is happening.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009

  3. Dudley Hanks wrote:
    []
    > Thanks, George, I'm not sure what is wrong. The server seems to be
    > down. I'll check to see what is happening.
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    Remember that some Web servers are case-sensitive, so that:

    dog.jpg

    and

    Dog.jpg

    are two different files.

    Same for directories.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 6, 2009
  4. David J Taylor wrote:
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > []
    >> Thanks, George, I'm not sure what is wrong. The server seems to be
    >> down. I'll check to see what is happening.
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley

    > Remember that some Web servers are case-sensitive, so that:
    >
    > dog.jpg
    >
    > and
    >
    > Dog.jpg
    >
    > are two different files.
    >
    > Same for directories.

    Also, when I take the URL back to just:
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com, I get the message that access
    is denied, so there may be a problem with the 'prefix'. And maybe not,
    but it is more usual than not that the base URL shows something.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Mar 6, 2009
  5. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Thanks, George, I'm not sure what is wrong. The server seems to be
    >>> down. I'll check to see what is happening.
    >>>
    >>> Take Care,
    >>> Dudley

    >> Remember that some Web servers are case-sensitive, so that:
    >>
    >> dog.jpg
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> Dog.jpg
    >>
    >> are two different files.
    >>
    >> Same for directories.

    > Also, when I take the URL back to just:
    > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com, I get the message that access is
    > denied, so there may be a problem with the 'prefix'. And maybe not, but
    > it is more usual than not that the base URL shows something.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    I think it's fixed, now.

    I had a problem with some database apps not uninstalling properly, so I put
    in a maintenance request. I think they had to take me off line for a few
    minutes in order to fix that problem.

    The links seem to be working again.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009
  6. Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >> David J Taylor wrote:
    >>> Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >>> []

    >>> Remember that some Web servers are case-sensitive, so that:
    >>>
    >>> dog.jpg
    >>>
    >>> and
    >>>
    >>> Dog.jpg
    >>>
    >>> are two different files.
    >>>
    >>> Same for directories.

    >> Also, when I take the URL back to just:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com, I get the message that access is
    >> denied, so there may be a problem with the 'prefix'. And maybe not, but
    >> it is more usual than not that the base URL shows something.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John McWilliams

    > I think it's fixed, now.
    >
    > I had a problem with some database apps not uninstalling properly, so I put
    > in a maintenance request. I think they had to take me off line for a few
    > minutes in order to fix that problem.
    >
    > The links seem to be working again.

    ah, bingo! It is working. I have to run, but this one,
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.jpg
    - the girl studying is out of focus, but it's a nice effect. The focus
    seems to be on a text book in the foreground.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Mar 6, 2009
  7. Dudley Hanks

    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message

    >>> Also, when I take the URL back to just:
    >>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com, I get the message that access
    >>> is denied, so there may be a problem with the 'prefix'. And maybe not,
    >>> but it is more usual than not that the base URL shows something.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> John McWilliams

    >> I think it's fixed, now.
    >>
    >> I had a problem with some database apps not uninstalling properly, so I
    >> put in a maintenance request. I think they had to take me off line for a
    >> few minutes in order to fix that problem.
    >>
    >> The links seem to be working again.

    > ah, bingo! It is working. I have to run, but this one,
    > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.jpg
    > - the girl studying is out of focus, but it's a nice effect. The focus
    > seems to be on a text book in the foreground.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Thanks, John, appreciate that bit of info. Ensuring focus is where I want
    it could be my next big problem to figure out.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009
  8. Dudley Hanks

    Sharon Guest

    Dudley,

    I don't post much to this group, but I always appreciate your photographic
    work. I like all three pictures. Good composition. Although the girl is
    out of focus, the book is in focus, which makes it the object of the
    thoughts she appears to be absorbed with. Unplugged is a nice candid shot.
    My only problem with this picture is the lamp in the background being a
    little over exposed. Nice, sharp shot of the dog too.

    Sharon

    Sharon, Mar 6, 2009
  9. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Sharon" <> wrote in message
    > Dudley,
    >
    > I don't post much to this group, but I always appreciate your photographic
    > work. I like all three pictures. Good composition. Although the girl is
    > out of focus, the book is in focus, which makes it the object of the
    > thoughts she appears to be absorbed with. Unplugged is a nice candid
    > shot. My only problem with this picture is the lamp in the background
    > being a little over exposed. Nice, sharp shot of the dog too.
    >
    > Sharon

    Thanks, Sharon, appreciate your comments.

    In the unplugged shot, I was using the lamp to get enough contrast to locate
    the subject's outline against. I probably should have gone with a lower ISO
    setting to dial that lamp down a bit in the actual image.

    Thanks for pointing that out for me.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009
  10. Dudley Hanks

    > On 3/6/09 11:14 AM, in article 9Scsl.15560$Db2.5421@edtnps83, "Dudley
    > Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message

    >>> ah, bingo! It is working. I have to run, but this one,
    >>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.jpg
    >>> - the girl studying is out of focus, but it's a nice effect. The focus
    >>> seems to be on a text book in the foreground.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> John McWilliams

    >> Thanks, John, appreciate that bit of info. Ensuring focus is where I
    >> want
    >> it could be my next big problem to figure out.
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > You certainly hit it on your Guide Dog.

    It's funny how things work out...

    In the homework shot, I actually wanted it the other way around, with the
    books out of focus. The intention was to get a kind of daydream feel: the
    texts being there but not what is being "focused" on.

    With Mich, I thought I might have trouble with the focus, since fur can
    throw off autofocusing systems.

    But, hey, I'll take what I can get...

    Regarding Mich, I can make out a bit of the catchlight in his eye, so I'm
    wondering if that worked out. My fear is that, if I can notice it, it might
    be that his eye is looking a bit glassy to everybody else?

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009
  11. Dudley Hanks

    > On 3/6/09 10:40 AM, in article Glcsl.15556$Db2.10991@edtnps83, "Dudley
    > Hanks" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> On 3/6/09 9:00 AM, in article 2Uasl.15549$Db2.108@edtnps83, "Dudley
    >>> Hanks"

    >>> Hello Dudley!
    >>>
    >>> All I get when I click on any of your buttons is:
    >>>
    >>> "PAGE NOT FOUND
    >>>
    >>> We cannot locate the page you're looking for. Please check the address
    >>> and
    >>> make sure all letters are lowercased with no spaces. You may also move
    >>> different page by using the links in the menu bar above."
    >>>
    >>> Thought you might want to know...
    >>>

    >> Thanks, George, I'm not sure what is wrong. The server seems to be down.
    >> I'll check to see what is happening.
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > Works for me now.
    >
    > I'm impressed by your very shallow depth-of-field on your dog's portrait.
    > "The eyes have it", as they say. I am impressed by all of his "metals",
    > LOL!

    "Distinguished Service" medals, each and every one... :)

    Actually, they serve a purpose. In addition to his vaccination tags, dog
    license tag, and GDB identification tag, I add another tag or two just to
    make sure things jingle nicely as he walks around. That way, when he's
    wandering around the house, I can keep track of where he is and not trip
    over him. Also, it makes it less likely we will surprise people as we
    overtake them on the sidewalks.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009
  12. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote in message
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> Switching to BW and cranking up the LCD brightness seems to help a bit
    >> with composition...
    >>
    >> Now, the backgrounds need attention.
    >>
    >> Homework:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.jpg (full size)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework-small.jpg (quick
    >> load)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.cr2 (original
    >> RAW)
    >>
    >> Unplugged:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged.jpg (full size)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged-small.jpg
    >> (quick load)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged.cr2 (original
    >> RAW)
    >>

    >> Portrait of a guide dog:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich.jpg (full size)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich-small.jpg (quick
    >> load)
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich.cr2 (original RAW)
    >>
    >> As always, comments / critiques are both welcome and appreciated...
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley

    > Nice dog shot! The things they are training service dogs to do nowadays
    > boggles the mind. Earlier this week I saw a story on a US news program
    > about a service dog that detects the slightest trace of peanuts--and all
    > this has grown out of the original program to train them to serve the
    > visually impaired. I'm a cat person myself (they eat less and don't crush
    > me when they jump up on my lap) but I have a great respect for what dogs
    > can be trained to do--as opposed to cats, who don't give a damn about what
    > _you_ want them to do.
    > Allen

    I like 'em both...

    When my wife and I got married, I had a seal point Siamese cat named Brandy.
    She was a crazy cat that quite literally "climbed the walls."

    When our first child came along, Brandy wasn't impressed, but she tolerated
    my son. But, when the second guy was born, Brandy lost it, completely.

    She pissed on the kids' clothes, in the crib, and in their shoes --
    wouldn't go anywhere near either.

    We tried everything we could to get her to mellow a bit, but nothing worked.
    Finally, we had to take her to a shelter. I'm hoping somebody (without
    kids) adopted her because she was a lot of fun (prior to children).

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009
  13. Get Real wrote:

    Seventh grade put downs.

    You are a mean spirited little person.

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Mar 6, 2009
  14. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Get Real" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 19:49:28 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> On 3/6/09 11:14 AM, in article 9Scsl.15560$Db2.5421@edtnps83, "Dudley
    >>> Hanks"

    >>> You certainly hit it on your Guide Dog.
    >>>

    >>It's funny how things work out...
    >>
    >>In the homework shot, I actually wanted it the other way around, with the
    >>books out of focus. The intention was to get a kind of daydream feel:
    >>the
    >>texts being there but not what is being "focused" on.
    >>
    >>With Mich, I thought I might have trouble with the focus, since fur can
    >>throw off autofocusing systems.
    >>
    >>But, hey, I'll take what I can get...
    >>
    >>Regarding Mich, I can make out a bit of the catchlight in his eye, so I'm
    >>wondering if that worked out. My fear is that, if I can notice it, it
    >>might
    >>be that his eye is looking a bit glassy to everybody else?
    >>
    >>Take Care,
    >>Dudley
    >>

    > Doesn't matter. They're just typical "I have a fancy camera" snapshots
    > taken by anyone, 4 years old to 80 years old, hoping that their camera's
    > automatic point-and-shoot features will turn them into a real photographer
    > one day. The world is crawling wall-to-wall with people like that. B&W
    > isn't going to automatically turn an ordinary snapshot into a work of art
    > either. Maybe you should have bought a camera with face and smile
    > detection
    > too so it will know better where to focus for you.
    >
    > About the only thing you've managed to do is show everyone that the
    > automatic features of your make and model of camera are fairly useless and
    > should never be depended upon. So much for the DSLR's "advanced"
    > auto-focusing being the panacea that everyone claims.
    >
    > Chimpanzees were launched into space in the distant past, under the
    > control
    > of a fully automated launch and retrieval system. That doesn't mean that
    > the chimp will ever steer any vehicle to any intentional destination on
    > their own.
    >
    > Next we'll all be applauding the tone-deaf person trying to sing opera who
    > might someday happen to hit one correct note by pure accident. Or the
    > sight-challenged person trying to drive a car in the Indy 500. Either way
    > it's just an accident in the making and it only makes all the spectators
    > feel uncomfortable and embarrassed for everyone involved. Do everyone a
    > favor and save us all from the "blind-photographer" act. Maybe you can
    > find
    > a "special-needs" photographer's forum where you can rate your photos
    > against others with similar abilities. Where everyone gets a gold-medal
    > just for trying.
    >
    > Have fun with your toys but don't expect to win "World's Greatest Dancer"
    > with both legs cut off. Nor should you hope to get applause from those who
> [...]

    I wasn't aware that a sight limitation disqualifies me from posting in this
    group?

    Perhaps you only post for praise; I post for feedback, i.e. information
    that can help me improve what I'm doing.

    In the music world, there isn't a lot of criticism about technological
    features that help talented, professional, musicians do things they couldn't
    normally do without the assistance of megabuck extensions to the musician's
    talent. Why should a disabled photographer not be entitled to similar
    assistive devices?

    I've dealt with this type of criticism for many years. When I was taking
    educational upgrading, someone was pissed off because I got time-and-a-half
    to write exams while able-bodied students had to do their best within the
    regular time constraints. The fact that it took me longer to read the test,
    because of a physical limitation as opposed to a mental limitation, didn't
    seem to matter.

    Who is right? I can't say. I simply believe that we all deserve a chance
    to do the best we can with what we have.

    The problem with an elitist mentality, such as you are typifying, is that it
    comes back to bite the elitists, themselves, in the ass. long after
    Hitler's elite troops had been demolished, women, old men, disabled soldiers
    and young children were the ones to pick up the pieces and put Germany back
    in order. And, of course, let's not forget about what happened to the
    British elitists who discounted the rag tag American militias...

    For my part, I love technology; it is making it possible for me to keep on
    doing what I love. If my work makes you uncomfortable, I'm sorry you can't
    share in my excitement, but I won't put down my camera simply to help you
    feel better about the world as you see it.

    BTW, since you seem to have missed it, the BW is not an attempt to turn
    plain pics into artistic works; it's simply the tool I am currently using
    to compose my pics. Putting the camera in BW mode increases the contrast of
    the LCD display. Turning up the brightness then enhances that increased
    contrast so that, in certain situations, I can compose an image the way I
    want it to appear. Not much difference between my using that tool and a
    hearing impaired musician using a hearing aid. In both cases some talent is
    required for a successful project. If the musician isn't completely tone
    deaf, a hearing aid can make it possible for the artist to maximize his /
    her talent. In my case, as long as I have a certain talent for composition
    and artistic flair, it will show through in the final images -- perhaps not
    so much at first, but in time...

    The autofocus is probably the one technological development I use that
    actually makes my life more difficult than it has to be, at least some of
    the time. I can truthfully say that I often long for an old-time, manual
    focus lens with a DOF scale imprinted on it. If I had such a lens at my
    disposal (that would work with the autoexposure circuitry of my camera), I
    would slap it on in an instant and crazy glue the lens in a hyperfocal
    position. That would speed up my process in about 90% of the shots I take.

    One of the nice things about Usenet, at least from my point of view, is that
    I get a chance to address people with your viewpoint in a fairly civilized
    manner. Given my physical size, I doubt you would say much if we were to
    meet face to face.

    With sufficient dialogue, all things can be worked out in the end.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 6, 2009
  15. Dudley Hanks

    Nicko Guest

    On Mar 6, 9:00 am, "Dudley Hanks" <>
    wrote:
    > Switching to BW and cranking up the LCD brightness seems to help a bit with
    > composition...
    >
    > Now, the backgrounds need attention.
    >
    > Homework:http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.jpg(full size)http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework-small.jpg (quick
    > load)http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Homework.cr2 (original RAW)
    >
    > Unplugged:http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged.jpg (full size)http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged-small.jpg (quick
    > load)http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Unplugged.cr2 (original RAW)
    >
    > Portrait of a guide dog:http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich.jpg (full size)http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich-small.jpg (quick load)http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Mich.cr2 (original RAW)
    >
    > As always, comments / critiques are both welcome and appreciated...

    OK. You asked for it:

    Why do you bother to waste bandwidth with this stuff?

    --
    YOP...

    Nicko, Mar 7, 2009
  16. Dudley Hanks

    Ray Fischer Guest

    George Kerby <> wrote:
    >"Get Real" <> wrote:

    >>> Regarding Mich, I can make out a bit of the catchlight in his eye, so I'm
    >>> wondering if that worked out. My fear is that, if I can notice it, it might
    >>> be that his eye is looking a bit glassy to everybody else?
    >>>

    >> Doesn't matter.

    ><spam shit snipped>
    >>
    >> Get Real
    >>

    >I would like to. As in your Real *NAME*, you cowardly motherfucker. Maybe
    >you just might develop a detached retina, or maybe an "accident" involving a
    >telescope and the sun? Fucktards like you need to be pissed on...

    Obviously, you are unable to reply in a manner that would be considered
    reasonable to most folks: Just insults like a spoiled five year old. You just
    can't do any better. Sad.
    kerby in <C5BC8977.2207B%>

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Mar 7, 2009
  17. Dudley Hanks

    Ray Fischer Guest

    George Kerby <> wrote:
    > "Ray Fischer" <> wrote:
    >> George Kerby <> wrote:

    >>> I would like to. As in your Real *NAME*, you cowardly motherfucker. Maybe
    >>> you just might develop a detached retina, or maybe an "accident" involving a
    >>> telescope and the sun? Fucktards like you need to be pissed on...

    >> Obviously, you are unable to reply in a manner that would be considered
    >> reasonable to most folks: Just insults like a spoiled five year old. You just
    >> can't do any better. Sad.
    >> kerby in <C5BC8977.2207B%>

    >And YOU are telling other people that THEY are presenting unreasonable
    >manner?

    I just quoted your words.

    Ray Fischer, Mar 8, 2009