    to pro....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 2, 2006

  2. thingy wrote:
    > My understanding is XP home wont use more than one CPU? so is Home a no
    > no on dual core CPUs? ie I am looking for an upgrade for my hardware for
    > games only though....no point in getting Home if it will need upgrading
    > to pro....

    Windows is licensed on a per socket basis, Intel and AMD can put as
    many cores into a single socket as they like

    Physical procs are what counts - you can have any number of cores

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 2, 2006

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >>My understanding is XP home wont use more than one CPU? so is Home a no
    >>no on dual core CPUs? ie I am looking for an upgrade for my hardware for
    >>games only though....no point in getting Home if it will need upgrading
    >>to pro....

    > Windows is licensed on a per socket basis, Intel and AMD can put as
    > many cores into a single socket as they like
    >
    > Physical procs are what counts - you can have any number of cores
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    thanks

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 2, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    says...

    > Windows is licensed on a per socket basis, Intel and AMD can put as
    > many cores into a single socket as they like
    >
    > Physical procs are what counts - you can have any number of cores
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    I thought NT 4 and Win2000 were able to make use of dual processor boards?

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 2, 2006
  5. thingy

    AD. Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I thought NT 4 and Win2000 were able to make use of dual processor boards?

    Yep, they can/could use up to two sockets. They are effectively the
    predecessors of XP Pro.

    XP Home is putting the NT kernel into the marketing position previously
    held by 9x. Although 9x had no SMP at all, the new dualcore cpus give
    the single socket XP Home SMP capability it wouldn't have gotten
    otherwise.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 2, 2006
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Windows is licensed on a per socket basis, Intel and AMD can put as
    >>many cores into a single socket as they like
    >>
    >>Physical procs are what counts - you can have any number of cores
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Nathan
    >>

    > I thought NT 4 and Win2000 were able to make use of dual processor boards?
    >
    > -Peter

    yes, my present box is a dual p3-1000, XP Pro supports this but my
    undertsanding is XP home does not. NT4WS was also 2cpus, nt4server was 4
    cpus as std I think.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 2, 2006