    this make any sense if one is hoping that Microsoft will eventually offer the
    x64 Operating System to people "off the shelf" in the future? Is that an
    unrealistic expectation?
    =?Utf-8?B?RWFzeWdvaW5nMjE=?=, Sep 26, 2005

  2. It's not Fry's fault, its what the OEM believes is the right choice. In this
    case, they believe that x64 might just be way of most users league and
    driver and application issue so, choose to use an edition of the operating
    system thats more familar in terms of stronger driver support, assured
    compatibility with applications.

    I expect this to change in the future with Windows Vista, since Microsoft is
    slated to make all editions of Windows Vista except for Starter Edition x64
    native. Which means you will probably see more manufacturers producing
    native 64/32 bit drivers since the platform will be more wide spread. Right
    now, XP Pro x64 is seen as a technical workstation operating system by most
    OEM's and if you really want it, you will purchase from a manufacturer who
    will bundle it with their systems, such as Compaq on from of their business
    models or Dell on their precision workstations.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 26, 2005

  3. A bunch of stores in Akihabara (and various other Akihabara-style stores
    throughout the country) are selling floppy drives with Windows XP Pro 64-bit
    OEM version. In most cases the price is the same as a floppy drive with XP
    Pro 32-bit OEM version, but one store was charging an extra 200 yen or so.

    Obviously it's not the stores' responsibility but the floppy drive OEMs
    decided that x64 is within the league of most of their floppy users ^u^

    Is there an English language MUI pack for XP x64? I didn't notice. If
    there is one then this might help a bunch of people.

    Norman Diamond, Sep 28, 2005
  4. I bought x64 with a floppy drive in Bellevue Washington a couple months ago.
    But it makes sense - you can't install the SATA drivers without a floppy
    disk drive - that's hard coded into the setup program. So OEM off the shelf
    exists now.

    Steve

    Steve Cavanaugh, Sep 29, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RWFzeWdvaW5nMjE=?=

    Gato Loco Guest

    I find it very annoying that you have to use a floppy drive to load
    the SATA drivers. I just dont use them at all anymore. Floppies that
    is. So to load x64 I had to dig out an old floppy drive.

    Give me a break!

    A real leap into the future on that one.

    Gato Loco

    Gato Loco, Sep 29, 2005
  6. As I have recently learnt from Charlie Russel, this will change in Windows
    Vista. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 4, 2005
  7. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > As I have recently learnt from Charlie Russel, this will change in
    > Windows Vista. :)

    As if you didn't know? LOL

    Folks, Andre is a Windows genius. He invented the Internet. LOL

    --

    Wayne Wastier
    Wayne Wastier, Oct 4, 2005