Buying: Web vs. Walk-in

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cal, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. cal

    cal Guest

    I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
    made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
    miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
    internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
    problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
    tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
    Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.

    From what I've read here and other places, the quality control
    practices of a couple of major camera manufacturers are not such that
    I may be relatively certain of getting a nearly perfect copy of the
    lens. I've read numerous accounts of a buyer having to return an
    expensive lens and get another copy, sometimes more than once, before
    finally getting a satisfactory one. Has anyone here had such an
    experience with a reputable internet merchant? If so would you mind
    relating how you went about getting the item exchanged? I would
    imagine that there is at least some challenge to putting together
    adequate proof of the defectiveness of an item.

    I'm thinking a C-note ain't too bad in this case. What say you all?

    Cal
    cal, Mar 17, 2005

  2. cal wrote:
    > I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
    > made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
    > miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
    > internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
    > problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
    > tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
    > Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.
    >
    > From what I've read here and other places, the quality control
    > practices of a couple of major camera manufacturers are not such that
    > I may be relatively certain of getting a nearly perfect copy of the
    > lens. I've read numerous accounts of a buyer having to return an
    > expensive lens and get another copy, sometimes more than once, before
    > finally getting a satisfactory one. Has anyone here had such an
    > experience with a reputable internet merchant? If so would you mind
    > relating how you went about getting the item exchanged? I would
    > imagine that there is at least some challenge to putting together
    > adequate proof of the defectiveness of an item.
    >
    > I'm thinking a C-note ain't too bad in this case. What say you all?
    >
    > Cal

    When it comes to a lens, I would say go mail order. I do recommend that
    anyone considering a camera buy walk up, as they can then have a chance to
    get it into their own hands and find out how it fits and feels. This fit
    and feel is far more important that most people think. What fits me fine,
    may not work well with you.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Mar 17, 2005

  3. cal

    Hoffmann Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message

    > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math <

    Bloody bog-Irishness! - send in the Para's to cull the Fenian bastards.
    Hoffmann, Mar 17, 2005
  4. cal

    cal Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:42:41 -0000, "Hoffmann" <>
    wrote:

    >"Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math <

    >Bloody bog-Irishness! - send in the Para's to cull the Fenian bastards.

    I knew I was taking a chance starting such a politically "ripe"
    thread! ;-)

    Cal
    cal, Mar 17, 2005
  5. cal

    Jim Guest

    "cal" <> wrote in message
    > I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
    > made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
    > miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
    > internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
    > problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
    > tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
    > Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.
    >
    > From what I've read here and other places, the quality control
    > practices of a couple of major camera manufacturers are not such that
    > I may be relatively certain of getting a nearly perfect copy of the
    > lens. I've read numerous accounts of a buyer having to return an
    > expensive lens and get another copy, sometimes more than once, before
    > finally getting a satisfactory one. Has anyone here had such an
    > experience with a reputable internet merchant? If so would you mind
    > relating how you went about getting the item exchanged? I would
    > imagine that there is at least some challenge to putting together
    > adequate proof of the defectiveness of an item.
    >
    > I'm thinking a C-note ain't too bad in this case. What say you all?
    >
    > Cal

    I have never had the need to return any piece of camera gear. However since
    "nearly perfect" is such an imprecise term, I suspect that you might have a
    bit of trouble actually demonstrating that a lens (for example) is
    defective. Of course, then one might wonder if just your copy is defective
    or if the entire lens type is defective (the infamous Nikon 43-86 zoom comes
    to mind in that regard).

    In any case, dealing with someone via mail about such matters is much more
    difficult than dealing face to face. But, my theory is that if you really
    believe that a particular lens might have significant quality control
    issues, you should not buy the lens from anyone.
    Jim
    Jim, Mar 18, 2005
  6. cal

    John DH Guest

    Personally I prefer a walk in store for camera and lens kit. Here's a
    compromise, print off the internet merchants add, take it to your local
    store and ask if they will do a deal. OK they probably won't get the price
    right down, but I'll bet if they want your business they will try real hard.

    John D

    John DH, Mar 18, 2005
  7. >I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
    >made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
    >miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
    >internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
    >problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
    >tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
    >Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.

    If you buy from B&H, you'll get exactly what you paid for. And if
    it's defective, you'll have no trouble returning it.

    I assume the same is true for Amazon.com, though I've never ordered
    camera equipment from them.

    (This is my second pro-B&H post in a row. Yes, they really are that
    good.)

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 18, 2005