    different machine

    If i cant i guess vista will be fine, its just to go onto an htpc so i
    dont "need" any special vista features

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 18, 2007

  2. Andrew Lambert

    Miguel Guest

    > I want to buy win XP, However i believe only Vista is being sold now..

    Just wondering (theoretically speaking)...does anyone know if I'm
    *legally* allowed to sell Andrew my copy of XP which I no longer use.
    ($50 :)

    XP came pre-installed on my Dell desktop, which I bought four years ago
    from The Warehouse for $799. It included an installation CD. And I've
    still got the greeny-bluey product key sticker on the side of the case.

    But I've since converted 100% to Ubuntu. There's no longer any MS/win32
    software on my machine.

    So can I *legally* flog off my XP CD. As far as I'm concerned I paid for
    it in the purchase price of the machine so it's mine to dispose of as I
    so wish.

    Regards
    Miguel...

    PS I assume there's something in the EULA but I've never read one of them
    in my life.

    Miguel, Jun 18, 2007

  3. In article <f54l74$b84$>, f says...
    > I want to buy win XP, However i believe only Vista is being sold now..
    >
    > Can i buy Vista and use its licence to install XP - media purchased for
    > different machine
    >
    > If i cant i guess vista will be fine, its just to go onto an htpc so i
    > dont "need" any special vista features

    You're dreaming. XP is still being sold.

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=83

    Scroll to near the bottom of the page.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 18, 2007
  4. In article <f54l74$b84$>, f says...
    > I want to buy win XP, However i believe only Vista is being sold now..
    >
    > Can i buy Vista and use its licence to install XP - media purchased for
    > different machine
    >
    > If i cant i guess vista will be fine, its just to go onto an htpc so i
    > dont "need" any special vista features

    P.S. if you are a gamer, be very cautious of Vista. I read a 'gamer's first
    evaluation' of Vista, linked off Tom's Hardware site, and it wasn't exactly all
    good. I'd only install Vista with great trepidation at this juncture.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Andrew Lambert

    jack Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:56:04 +1200, Andrew Lambert <> wrote:

    >I want to buy win XP, However i believe only Vista is being sold now..
    >
    >Can i buy Vista and use its licence to install XP - media purchased for
    >different machine
    >
    >If i cant i guess vista will be fine, its just to go onto an htpc so i
    >dont "need" any special vista features

    go XP its still available till the end of the Year..

    Vista is a Total DOG and loads of compatibility problems..

    jack, Jun 18, 2007
  6. Andrew Lambert

    jack Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 03:29:30 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <> wrote:

    >> I want to buy win XP, However i believe only Vista is being sold now..
    >>

    >Just wondering (theoretically speaking)...does anyone know if I'm
    >*legally* allowed to sell Andrew my copy of XP which I no longer use.
    >($50 :)
    >
    >XP came pre-installed on my Dell desktop, which I bought four years ago
    >from The Warehouse for $799. It included an installation CD. And I've
    >still got the greeny-bluey product key sticker on the side of the case.
    >
    >But I've since converted 100% to Ubuntu. There's no longer any MS/win32
    >software on my machine.
    >
    >So can I *legally* flog off my XP CD. As far as I'm concerned I paid for
    >it in the purchase price of the machine so it's mine to dispose of as I
    >so wish.
    >
    >Regards
    >Miguel...
    >
    >PS I assume there's something in the EULA but I've never read one of them
    >in my life.

    No you can't as its a OEM Version..

    jack, Jun 18, 2007
  7. Andrew Lambert

    XPD Guest

    "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message
    >I want to buy win XP, However i believe only Vista is being sold now..
    >
    > Can i buy Vista and use its licence to install XP - media purchased for
    > different machine
    >
    > If i cant i guess vista will be fine, its just to go onto an htpc so i
    > dont "need" any special vista features

    XP is still sold at stores, just some of the bigger retailers such as Harvey
    Normans may push Vista more than anything and only have a small amount of XP
    stock.
    We quite often get clients asking for XP rather than Vista.

    XPD, Jun 18, 2007
  8. Andrew Lambert

    XPD Guest

    "jack" <> wrote in message

    > No you can't as its a OEM Version..

    Legally correct.

    But if you goto TradeMe etc, lots of them selling OEM copies without PCs
    etc... its jsut one of those things that happens and noone would really give
    a shite except MS...but when have you heard of them going after an
    individual for something like that ? :)

    XPD, Jun 18, 2007
  9. Andrew Lambert

    jack Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:20:59 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"jack" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> No you can't as its a OEM Version..

    >Legally correct.
    >
    >But if you goto TradeMe etc, lots of them selling OEM copies without PCs
    >etc... its jsut one of those things that happens and noone would really give
    >a shite except MS...but when have you heard of them going after an
    >individual for something like that ? :)

    Yes but you can't Activate it or get the XP updates, unless you use Autopatcher, but you are still
    stuck with the Activation problem.

    jack, Jun 18, 2007
  10. Andrew Lambert

    Shane Guest

    jack wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:20:59 +1200, "XPD" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"jack" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> No you can't as its a OEM Version..

    >>Legally correct.
    >>
    >>But if you goto TradeMe etc, lots of them selling OEM copies without PCs
    >>etc... its jsut one of those things that happens and noone would really
    >>give a shite except MS...but when have you heard of them going after an
    >>individual for something like that ? :)
    >>

    > Yes but you can't Activate it or get the XP updates, unless you use
    > Autopatcher, but you are still
    > stuck with the Activation problem.

    Not if you run Ubuntu you dont

    Q: What's purple and commutes?
    A: An Abelian grape.

    Shane, Jun 18, 2007
  11. Andrew Lambert

    jack Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:26:59 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >jack wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:20:59 +1200, "XPD" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"jack" <> wrote in message

    >>>Legally correct.
    >>>
    >>>But if you goto TradeMe etc, lots of them selling OEM copies without PCs
    >>>etc... its jsut one of those things that happens and noone would really
    >>>give a shite except MS...but when have you heard of them going after an
    >>>individual for something like that ? :)
    >>>

    >> Yes but you can't Activate it or get the XP updates, unless you use
    >> Autopatcher, but you are still
    >> stuck with the Activation problem.

    >Not if you run Ubuntu you dont
    >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=475709

    Yes used by most Insane people..

    That its why its called Lunix..

    jack, Jun 18, 2007
  12. Andrew Lambert

    Shane Guest

    jack wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:26:59 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>jack wrote:

    >>> Yes but you can't Activate it or get the XP updates, unless you use
    >>> Autopatcher, but you are still
    >>> stuck with the Activation problem.

    >>Not if you run Ubuntu you dont
    >>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=475709

    > Yes used by most Insane people..
    >
    > That its why its called Lunix..

    touche pussycat
    --
    Q: What is very old, used by farmers, and obeys the fundamental theorem of
    arithmetic?

    Shane, Jun 18, 2007
  13. On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 03:29:30 +0200, Miguel wrote:

    > Just wondering (theoretically speaking)...does anyone know if I'm
    > *legally* allowed to sell Andrew my copy of XP which I no longer use. ($50
    >

    > XP came pre-installed on my Dell desktop, which I bought four years ago
    > from The Warehouse for $799. It included an installation CD. And I've
    > still got the greeny-bluey product key sticker on the side of the case.

    If it's an "OEM" version of M$ Windows, then no you cannot re-sell. It is
    licenced for use only on that one PC and on no other - ever.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jun 18, 2007
  14. Andrew Lambert

    XPD Guest

    "jack" <> wrote in message

    > Yes but you can't Activate it or get the XP updates, unless you use
    > Autopatcher, but you are still
    > stuck with the Activation problem.

    Never caused me a problem. I just ring MS and activate.
    Their own systems dont work ;)
    .... just like Windows....

    XPD, Jun 18, 2007
  15. Andrew Lambert

    BTMO Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote

    > Never caused me a problem. I just ring MS and activate.
    > Their own systems dont work ;)
    > ... just like Windows....

    Thanks for reminding me - I have to ring them this evening to re-activate
    windows again.

    I have reloaded it on the other PC so many times, it won't let me enter the
    activation code!!

    BTMO, Jun 18, 2007
  16. In message <>, BTMO wrote:

    > ... I have to ring them this evening to re-activate
    > windows again.
    >
    > I have reloaded it on the other PC so many times, it won't let me enter
    > the activation code!!

    Apparently Xubuntu might do the trick
    <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40386>. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 18, 2007
  17. Andrew Lambert

    J Marshall Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message
    >>I want to buy win XP, However i believe only Vista is being sold now..
    >>
    >> Can i buy Vista and use its licence to install XP - media purchased for
    >> different machine
    >>
    >> If i cant i guess vista will be fine, its just to go onto an htpc so i
    >> dont "need" any special vista features

    > XP is still sold at stores, just some of the bigger retailers such as
    > Harvey Normans may push Vista more than anything and only have a small
    > amount of XP stock.
    > We quite often get clients asking for XP rather than Vista.

    I find that rather surprising, I have 2 computers, one with XP and one with
    Vista. I far prefer working with Vista.

    J Marshall, Jun 18, 2007
  18. Andrew Lambert

    BTMO Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <> wrote

    >> I have reloaded it on the other PC so many times, it won't let me enter
    >> the activation code!!

    > Apparently Xubuntu might do the trick
    > <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40386>. :)

    Freaky!

    Some years ago, I reloaded Windows onto a friend's pc - but they couldn't
    find their unlock code. I had one for a different flavour of windows, and
    thought "what the hell - I will give it a go".

    It worked...

    I contacted MS after the event to get some info, and told them what had
    happened, and got a rather amusing reply...

    :-D

    BTMO, Jun 18, 2007
  19. Andrew Lambert

    Jasen Guest

    On 2007-06-18, Miguel <> wrote:
    >> I want to buy win XP, However i believe only Vista is being sold now..
    >>

    > Just wondering (theoretically speaking)...does anyone know if I'm
    > *legally* allowed to sell Andrew my copy of XP which I no longer use.
    > ($50 :)

    as I understand it you are legally allowed to transfer ther licence and the
    media.

    > XP came pre-installed on my Dell desktop, which I bought four years ago
    > from The Warehouse for $799. It included an installation CD. And I've
    > still got the greeny-bluey product key sticker on the side of the case.
    >
    > But I've since converted 100% to Ubuntu. There's no longer any MS/win32
    > software on my machine.
    >
    > So can I *legally* flog off my XP CD. As far as I'm concerned I paid for
    > it in the purchase price of the machine so it's mine to dispose of as I
    > so wish.

    peel off that sticker and send it with the CD
    (cut the glue with repeated strokes of a sharp knife or razor blade as
    you peel and it'll come off in one piece)

    > PS I assume there's something in the EULA but I've never read one of them
    > in my life.

    NZ law trumps the eula. You're entitled to transfer your XP licence.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen, Jun 18, 2007
  20. Andrew Lambert

    Bon Guest

    On 18 Jun 2007 18:53:07 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 03:29:30 +0200, Miguel wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering (theoretically speaking)...does anyone know if I'm
    >> *legally* allowed to sell Andrew my copy of XP which I no longer use. ($50
    >>

    >> XP came pre-installed on my Dell desktop, which I bought four years ago
    >> from The Warehouse for $799. It included an installation CD. And I've
    >> still got the greeny-bluey product key sticker on the side of the case.

    > If it's an "OEM" version of M$ Windows, then no you cannot re-sell. It is
    > licenced for use only on that one PC and on no other - ever.

    Heh, the one I removed off a dead PCs case works fine on my system ;-0

    Bon, Jun 18, 2007