    I tell which the fakes are?

    Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?

    Dunc

    Duncan H. Davies, May 21, 2008

  2. Duncan H. Davies

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Re: Buying SDHC cards from eBay... how can I know which merchantsare reliable? How to guard against fake cards?

    BobW wrote:
    > "Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?
    >>
    >> Dunc

    > You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.
    >
    > Bob

    To each his own. I don't know all the details of ebay. My son uses them
    for everything. Sometimes he makes out sometimes he doesn't. Apparently
    the people using it rate each other. Personally, my opinion of ebay is
    shaded by the bad things I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere.
    Obviously this is not the norm but why bother if you don't have to. The
    op is basically concerned over shipping costs.
    Amazon show this item via a reseller at a lower price than B&H. Amazon
    are normally very good.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 21, 2008

  3. Duncan H. Davies

    Jeannie Guest

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:07:21 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >BobW wrote:
    >> "Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?
    >>>
    >>> Dunc

    >> You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.
    >>
    >> Bob

    >To each his own. I don't know all the details of ebay. My son uses them
    >for everything. Sometimes he makes out sometimes he doesn't. Apparently
    >the people using it rate each other. Personally, my opinion of ebay is
    >shaded by the bad things I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere.
    >Obviously this is not the norm but why bother if you don't have to. The
    >op is basically concerned over shipping costs.
    >Amazon show this item via a reseller at a lower price than B&H. Amazon
    >are normally very good.
    >Dave Cohen

    They aren't any good at all. Amazon.com won't ship SDHC cards to
    Canada, and amazon.ca doesn't list them.

    Dunc

    Jeannie, May 21, 2008
  4. On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:52:10 -0700, "BobW"
    <> wrote:

    >"Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >

    >> Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?
    >>
    >> Dunc

    >You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.
    >
    >Bob

    Do you know which merchants on eBay offer authentic cards? If not,
    your reply is off-topic.

    Dunc

    Duncan H. Davies, May 21, 2008
  5. Duncan H. Davies

    Jufi Guest

    Of all the things you can buy on eBay, memory cards are probably the one
    item where you're more than likely to get a fake. Pay B&H, get the real
    thing, and avoid eBay. It used to be a decent service, but it's really sunk
    low lately.

    Jufi, May 21, 2008
  6. On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:03:49 -0700, "BobW"
    <> wrote:

    >"Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:52:10 -0700, "BobW"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>[snip]

    >>>You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.
    >>>
    >>>Bob

    >> Do you know which merchants on eBay offer authentic cards? If not,
    >> your reply is off-topic.
    >>
    >> Dunc

    >Duncan,
    >
    >How will you know that any reseller ships authentic cards?
    >
    >You just need to learn how eBay works -- specifically the Feedback Forum --
    >and then you can answer your own questions. Do the work.

    I already know how eBay works, thank you. My question was how to know
    which merchants ship authentic memory cards, not how eBay works. .

    Your response implies that a fake card can be recognized immediately
    once received, prompting negative feedback, but that is not something
    that is known to me.

    Dunc

    Duncan H. Davies, May 21, 2008
  7. Duncan H. Davies

    Jfixit Guest

    Jufi wrote:
    > Of all the things you can buy on eBay, memory cards are probably the one
    > item where you're more than likely to get a fake. Pay B&H, get the real
    > thing, and avoid eBay. It used to be a decent service, but it's really
    > sunk low lately.

    right now Sandisk is offering a very good rebate .BUT you have to
    buy the item from one of the retailers listed on the rebate form. I
    use Beach cam/BuyDig .com.Seeing i live in NYS i don't have to pay the
    tax from a retailer in NJ

    Jfixit, May 21, 2008
  8. Duncan H. Davies

    Frank Arthur Guest

    Many cards from Ebay are Sandisk forgeries. Try asking the seller to
    guarantee that the card is legitimate and suppl.ied directly from
    Sandisk USA or Canada.

    Frank Arthur, May 21, 2008
  9. Duncan H. Davies

    Ray Paseur Guest

    > Many cards from Ebay are Sandisk forgeries. <snip>

    >I would like to buy a Sandisk 16 GB SDHC card. I'm from Canada <snip>

    FWIW, I have bought counterfeit Sandisk CF cards on eBay. They work fine -
    sometimes a little slow or not quite up to rated storage capacity, but I
    have never lost an image. Never.

    Can't tell you that you will have an equivalent experience, but you should
    look at the feedback and see what the vendors are selling. If you have
    more than one or two negatives over the SDHC cards, beware. If they do not
    read and write gramatically good englisch, beware. If they have high
    shipping charges (not refundable) beware. If they sell SDHC cards and
    other camera components at ridiculously low prices, beware. Those would be
    the things that would seem to distinguish a less-than-perfect operation.

    Maybe you could become the Canadian Sandisk distributor?!

    Good luck! ~Ray

    Ray Paseur, May 21, 2008
  10. Duncan H. Davies

    Jeff R. Guest

    "BobW" <> wrote in message

    > "Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >

    >> Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?
    >>
    >> Dunc

    > You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.

    Yes.
    Its just like sex.
    You shouldn't have sex until you are perfect at it.

    Makes sense.

    --
    Jeff R.

    Jeff R., May 22, 2008
  11. Duncan H. Davies

    default Guest

    default, May 22, 2008
  12. On Thu, 22 May 2008 07:01:13 GMT, "default" <>
    wrote:

    >"Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message
    >>I would like to buy a Sandisk 16 GB SDHC card. I'm from Canada and
    >> those capacities are very scarce in the stores here. Costs are high --
    >> like $200 and over.
    >>

    >Why don't you just go down to BestBuy Canada, and buy two 8GB SD cards for
    >$39 each?
    >http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10099696&catid=20093&logon=&langid=EN

    Thanks for the info! Seems to be a Class 4... so might be a bit slow
    but interesting anyway.

    But it seems they are out of stock. I'll keep an eye out, though..

    Dunc

    Duncan H. Davies, May 22, 2008
  13. Duncan H. Davies

    Frank Arthur Guest

    Legitimate Frank Arthur posts only from BellSouth Internet Group.
    Look!Turn on your header. It says- Organization:BellSouth Internet
    Group
    Otherwise it is a forgery and you are being defrauded!
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:03:49 -0700, "BobW"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message

    >>> Do you know which merchants on eBay offer authentic cards? If not,
    >>> your reply is off-topic.
    >>>
    >>> Dunc

    >>Duncan,
    >>
    >>How will you know that any reseller ships authentic cards?
    >>
    >>You just need to learn how eBay works -- specifically the Feedback
    >>Forum --
    >>and then you can answer your own questions. Do the work.

    > I already know how eBay works, thank you. My question was how to
    > know
    > which merchants ship authentic memory cards, not how eBay works. .
    >
    > Your response implies that a fake card can be recognized immediately
    > once received, prompting negative feedback, but that is not
    > something
    > that is known to me.
    >
    > Dunc

    Not true. You cannot recognize a legit card. SanDisk will ask you to
    photograph views of the card. Their experts there can tell. In my case
    I sent photos of an Ebay purchased card, from a seller with what
    seemed reliable reputation. It turned out to be fake.

    Frank Arthur, May 22, 2008
  14. On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:18:27 -0400, "Frank Arthur" <>
    wrote:

    >"Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:03:49 -0700, "BobW"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message

    >>>Duncan,
    >>>
    >>>How will you know that any reseller ships authentic cards?
    >>>
    >>>You just need to learn how eBay works -- specifically the Feedback
    >>>Forum --
    >>>and then you can answer your own questions. Do the work.

    >> I already know how eBay works, thank you. My question was how to
    >> know
    >> which merchants ship authentic memory cards, not how eBay works. .
    >>
    >> Your response implies that a fake card can be recognized immediately
    >> once received, prompting negative feedback, but that is not
    >> something
    >> that is known to me.
    >>
    >> Dunc

    >Not true. You cannot recognize a legit card. SanDisk will ask you to
    >photograph views of the card. Their experts there can tell. In my case
    >I sent photos of an Ebay purchased card, from a seller with what
    >seemed reliable reputation. It turned out to be fake.

    Thanks.

    So that means buy only from known reputable sources like local stores
    or the big mail order places like B&H.

    Dunc

    Duncan H. Davies, May 23, 2008
  15. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Duncan H. Davies <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:18:27 -0400, "Frank Arthur" <>
    > wrote:

    >>"Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message

    >>> I already know how eBay works, thank you. My question was how to
    >>> know
    >>> which merchants ship authentic memory cards, not how eBay works. .

    >>> Your response implies that a fake card can be recognized immediately
    >>> once received, prompting negative feedback, but that is not
    >>> something
    >>> that is known to me.

    >>Not true. You cannot recognize a legit card. SanDisk will ask you to
    >>photograph views of the card. Their experts there can tell. In my case
    >>I sent photos of an Ebay purchased card, from a seller with what
    >>seemed reliable reputation. It turned out to be fake.

    > So that means buy only from known reputable sources like local stores
    > or the big mail order places like B&H.

    I always use Ebay, but carefully check specs, feedback, newsgroups and
    other technical foums. So far all the memory products I've bought have
    turned out to be very good, nearly always better than I expected, and
    in some cases superior in speed to the products of the Big Reputable
    Names.

    And in the case of second hand products I've nearly always got
    excellent bargains.

    It's a trade-off. If you have more intelligence and time than money
    there's nothing to beat Ebay. If you're busy and want trouble-free
    guarantees of quality then just open your waller wider and stick with
    Reputable Names.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, May 23, 2008
  16. Duncan H. Davies

    TJ Guest

    Ray Paseur wrote:
    > If they do not read and write gramatically good englisch, beware.

    Nice example! :)

    TJ

    TJ, May 23, 2008
  17. ? "Duncan H. Davies" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >I would like to buy a Sandisk 16 GB SDHC card. I'm from Canada and
    > those capacities are very scarce in the stores here. Costs are high --
    > like $200 and over.
    >
    > B&H sells the 16GB Ultra II card for $150, but the shipping costs are
    > exhorbitant, like $26 by UPS, and those UPS crooks will add maybe $50
    > for "customs brokerage".
    >
    > So maybe eBay is the answer. On eBay, the 16 GB Ultra II cards go for
    > around $150 and less. Shipping is still high for something that
    > weights about as much as a fly, but it is less less, and USPS is
    > available... they don't levy brokerage fees.
    >
    > But I've heard that fake cards are all over the place on eBay. How can
    > I tell which the fakes are?
    >
    > Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?

    Why not buy 8 2 Gb cards with the same money? Not putting all your eggs in
    one basket, after all? 1 GB sells for 20 euros, even a 1 GB genuine Hewlett
    Packard memory stick for my mother's laptop cost 20 euros, from my favourite
    merchant www.cccira.gr Go for a walk to the shops, compare prices and
    brands, and get what you really like, that would be the best IMHO, why trust
    someone whose face you'll never see?

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, May 23, 2008
  18. Duncan H. Davies

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, May 23, 2008
  19. Duncan H. Davies

    Jeannie wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:07:21 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    >
    >> BobW wrote:
    >>> "Duncan H. Davies" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> [snip]

    >>> You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> To each his own. I don't know all the details of ebay. My son uses them
    >> for everything. Sometimes he makes out sometimes he doesn't. Apparently
    >> the people using it rate each other. Personally, my opinion of ebay is
    >> shaded by the bad things I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere.
    >> Obviously this is not the norm but why bother if you don't have to. The
    >> op is basically concerned over shipping costs.
    >> Amazon show this item via a reseller at a lower price than B&H. Amazon
    >> are normally very good.
    >> Dave Cohen

    > They aren't any good at all. Amazon.com won't ship SDHC cards to
    > Canada, and amazon.ca doesn't list them.
    >
    > Dunc

    Not sure if that makes Amazon a bad guy but how would I know, I left
    Canada 50 years ago after a 9 month sojourn. In retrospect leaving may
    not have been a smart move, but it's too late now and I don't keep track
    of who ships where. I would still avoid ebay if you're only talking
    about a few bucks.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 24, 2008