    might be expected to occur? Would hate not following their caution to maybe
    hold off for now, only to be laying out an additional $170 just a short time
    after I do the buy. Thank you for any responses.

    jimphotog via PhotoKB.com, Mar 1, 2007

  2. "jimphotog via PhotoKB.com" <u32103@uwe> wrote in message
    news:6e8c5c1fcbbed@uwe...
    >I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that C3 Beta has
    >been
    > out over a month, and that if I wait to buy C2 till the C3 release date is
    > announced, I will qualify for a free C3 upgrade. They say the upgrade
    > charge
    > otherwise will be in the range of $170 for earlier owners. The impression
    > get from them is that the Beta already is a pretty complete product (of
    > course, that's what MS said about Vista way, way back when), and that
    > since
    > it's already been out a while, release date announcement shouldn't be that
    > far away. Is there any scuttlebutt out there as to when this announcement
    > might be expected to occur? Would hate not following their caution to
    > maybe
    > hold off for now, only to be laying out an additional $170 just a short
    > time
    > after I do the buy. Thank you for any responses.

    Wait.

    Charles Schuler, Mar 1, 2007

  3. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 21:50:01 +0000, jimphotog via PhotoKB.com wrote:

    > I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that C3 Beta has been
    > out over a month, and that if I wait to buy C2 till the C3 release date is
    > announced, I will qualify for a free C3 upgrade. They say the upgrade charge
    > otherwise will be in the range of $170 for earlier owners. The impression I
    > get from them is that the Beta already is a pretty complete product (of
    > course, that's what MS said about Vista way, way back when), and that since
    > it's already been out a while, release date announcement shouldn't be that
    > far away. Is there any scuttlebutt out there as to when this announcement
    > might be expected to occur? Would hate not following their caution to maybe
    > hold off for now, only to be laying out an additional $170 just a short time
    > after I do the buy. Thank you for any responses.

    Why not spend the interim checking out some of the free alternatives, e.g.
    GIMP. You might find you won't need to spend the money at all.

    ray, Mar 1, 2007
  4. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    Jimmy Guest

    > Why not spend the interim checking out some of the free alternatives, e.g.
    > GIMP. You might find you won't need to spend the money at all.

    No, wait on this. GIMP 2.4 is to be released soon! :)

    Jimmy, Mar 1, 2007
  5. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, jimphotog via PhotoKB.com made these interesting comments

    > I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that
    > C3 Beta has been out over a month, and that if I wait to buy
    > C2 till the C3 release date is announced, I will qualify for a
    > free C3 upgrade. They say the upgrade charge otherwise will be
    > in the range of $170 for earlier owners. The impression I get
    > from them is that the Beta already is a pretty complete
    > product (of course, that's what MS said about Vista way, way
    > back when), and that since it's already been out a while,
    > release date announcement shouldn't be that far away. Is there
    > any scuttlebutt out there as to when this announcement might
    > be expected to occur? Would hate not following their caution
    > to maybe hold off for now, only to be laying out an additional
    > $170 just a short time after I do the buy. Thank you for any

    Jim, I know zero about Adobe, but if they are like the SW
    developers I am personally familiar with, they WANT to entice
    current owners to be the first on their block to get the new
    version by enticing them to buy the current one. First, they rid
    their inventory and that of the stores, in your case of CS2, and
    they rig the upgrade with may actually be free or may be a small
    fee; in my experience, it depends exactly when you buy the
    previous version.

    But, one must first figure out what is in the new version,
    especially if the changes are real or they merely moved the GUI
    around.Then, one has to consider based on past experience with
    this, that, or the other developers you deal with how long it is
    before the product becomes stable, i.e., the 1st, 2nd, 3rd ...
    dot.releases.

    So, since I do not like "beta" testing with my Visa card or my
    time, I often wait. But, if CS2 gets you what you want, meaning
    you can afford to wait out the CS3 release and monitor its
    stability - and it is free - then buy now as they suggested.

    Just one man's opinion, YMMV ...

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 2, 2007
  6. Charles Schuler wrote:
    >>I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that C3 Beta has
    >>been

    >[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
    >> time
    >> after I do the buy. Thank you for any responses.

    >Wait.

    Kind of what I figured. Thanks.

    jimphotog via PhotoKB.com, Mar 2, 2007
  7. ray wrote:
    >> I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that C3 Beta has been
    >> out over a month, and that if I wait to buy C2 till the C3 release date is

    >[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
    >> hold off for now, only to be laying out an additional $170 just a short time
    >> after I do the buy. Thank you for any responses.

    >Why not spend the interim checking out some of the free alternatives, e.g.
    >GIMP. You might find you won't need to spend the money at all.

    Not acquainted with GIMP, but I'll look into it. Main reason for leaning
    toward PS is that I've been very generously offered guidance along the
    learning curve by someone in whom I've developed great confidence. Hard to
    pass up. Thanks for the response.

    jimphotog via PhotoKB.com, Mar 2, 2007
  8. HEMI-Powered wrote:
    >Today, jimphotog via PhotoKB.com made these interesting comments
    >
    >> I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that
    >> C3 Beta has been out over a month, and that if I wait to buy

    >[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
    >> $170 just a short time after I do the buy. Thank you for any

    >Jim, I know zero about Adobe, but if they are like the SW
    >developers I am personally familiar with, they WANT to entice
    >current owners to be the first on their block to get the new
    >version by enticing them to buy the current one. First, they rid
    >their inventory and that of the stores, in your case of CS2, and
    >they rig the upgrade with may actually be free or may be a small
    >fee; in my experience, it depends exactly when you buy the
    >previous version.
    >
    >But, one must first figure out what is in the new version,
    >especially if the changes are real or they merely moved the GUI
    >around.Then, one has to consider based on past experience with
    >this, that, or the other developers you deal with how long it is
    >before the product becomes stable, i.e., the 1st, 2nd, 3rd ...
    >dot.releases.
    >
    >So, since I do not like "beta" testing with my Visa card or my
    >time, I often wait. But, if CS2 gets you what you want, meaning
    >you can afford to wait out the CS3 release and monitor its
    >stability - and it is free - then buy now as they suggested.
    >
    >Just one man's opinion, YMMV ...

    Thanks for the well thought out comments. I expect I'll follow pretty much
    this path, just a matter of holding out for that announcement of release date
    and then buying the C2. I'm not sure of the enhancements in C3 or how far
    out after announcement the actual release date will be, but I certainly can
    use C2 as is once I buy it. Like your suggestion of waiting till maybe a few
    C3 dot.releases are out till actually upgrading, even post-Betas have Betas.
    Again, thanks for the time.

    jimphotog via PhotoKB.com, Mar 2, 2007
  9. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Mar 2, 9:05 am, "jimphotog via PhotoKB.com" <u32103@uwe> wrote:

    > Thanks for the well thought out comments. I expect I'll follow pretty much
    > this path, just a matter of holding out for that announcement of release date
    > and then buying the C2. I'm not sure of the enhancements in C3 or how far
    > out after announcement the actual release date will be, but I certainly can
    > use C2 as is once I buy it. Like your suggestion of waiting till maybe a few
    > C3 dot.releases are out till actually upgrading, even post-Betas have Betas.

    Why not just download the CS3 beta for free and use it?
    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/

    Annika1980, Mar 2, 2007
  10. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    tomm42 Guest

    On Mar 1, 4:50 pm, "jimphotog via PhotoKB.com" <u32103@uwe> wrote:
    > I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that C3 Beta has been
    > out over a month, and that if I wait to buy C2 till the C3 release date is
    > announced, I will qualify for a free C3 upgrade. They say the upgrade charge
    > otherwise will be in the range of $170 for earlier owners. The impression I
    > get from them is that the Beta already is a pretty complete product (of
    > course, that's what MS said about Vista way, way back when), and that since
    > it's already been out a while, release date announcement shouldn't be that
    > far away. Is there any scuttlebutt out there as to when this announcement
    > might be expected to occur? Would hate not following their caution to maybe
    > hold off for now, only to be laying out an additional $170 just a short time
    > after I do the buy. Thank you for any responses.

    I generally upgrade Photoshop every other upgrade. CS2 is a very good
    product, you could use it for a while then upgrade to CS3 or wait for
    CS4. There is always an upgrade, the neverending cycle. Adobe's
    revamping of ACR is one reason to wait for CS3, but I get good results
    from the current ACR.

    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 2, 2007
  11. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:21:32 -0600, Jimmy wrote:

    >> Why not spend the interim checking out some of the free alternatives, e.g.
    >> GIMP. You might find you won't need to spend the money at all.
    >>

    > No, wait on this. GIMP 2.4 is to be released soon! :)

    But that's a free upgrade of free software - why wait??

    ray, Mar 2, 2007
  12. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:00:19 +0000, jimphotog via PhotoKB.com wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >>> I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that C3 Beta has been
    >>> out over a month, and that if I wait to buy C2 till the C3 release date is

    >>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
    >>> hold off for now, only to be laying out an additional $170 just a short time
    >>> after I do the buy. Thank you for any responses.

    >>Why not spend the interim checking out some of the free alternatives, e.g.
    >>GIMP. You might find you won't need to spend the money at all.

    > Not acquainted with GIMP, but I'll look into it. Main reason for leaning
    > toward PS is that I've been very generously offered guidance along the
    > learning curve by someone in whom I've developed great confidence. Hard to
    > pass up. Thanks for the response.

    You're quite welcome. I've found that while GIMP does not do everything
    exactly the same way that PS does, it has most of the capabilities, and
    certainly all I'll ever need. I also find the interface a little more
    'intuitive' - for me.

    ray, Mar 2, 2007
  13. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, jimphotog via PhotoKB.com made these interesting comments

    >>> I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that
    >>> C3 Beta has been out over a month, and that if I wait to buy
    >>> [quoted text clipped - 10 lines] $170 just a short time
    >>> after I do the buy. Thank you for any responses.

    >>Jim, I know zero about Adobe, but if they are like the SW
    >>developers I am personally familiar with, they WANT to entice
    >>current owners to be the first on their block to get the new
    >>version by enticing them to buy the current one. First, they
    >>rid their inventory and that of the stores, in your case of
    >>CS2, and they rig the upgrade with may actually be free or may
    >>be a small fee; in my experience, it depends exactly when you
    >>buy the previous version.
    >>
    >>But, one must first figure out what is in the new version,
    >>especially if the changes are real or they merely moved the
    >>GUI around.Then, one has to consider based on past experience
    >>with this, that, or the other developers you deal with how
    >>long it is before the product becomes stable, i.e., the 1st,
    >>2nd, 3rd ... dot.releases.
    >>
    >>So, since I do not like "beta" testing with my Visa card or my
    >>time, I often wait. But, if CS2 gets you what you want,
    >>meaning you can afford to wait out the CS3 release and monitor
    >>its stability - and it is free - then buy now as they
    >>suggested.
    >>
    >>Just one man's opinion, YMMV ...
    >>

    > Thanks for the well thought out comments. I expect I'll
    > follow pretty much this path, just a matter of holding out for
    > that announcement of release date and then buying the C2. I'm
    > not sure of the enhancements in C3 or how far out after
    > announcement the actual release date will be, but I certainly
    > can use C2 as is once I buy it. Like your suggestion of
    > waiting till maybe a few C3 dot.releases are out till actually
    > upgrading, even post-Betas have Betas. Again, thanks for the
    > time.

    Glad I could be of some help. Largely, but not exclusively,
    upgrade decisions are similar across a broad spectrum of
    products. The exact same discussions are going on right now about
    Vista, with exactly the same questions and proposed answers.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 2, 2007
  14. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, Annika1980 made these interesting comments ...

    > On Mar 2, 9:05 am, "jimphotog via PhotoKB.com" <u32103@uwe>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks for the well thought out comments. I expect I'll
    >> follow pretty much this path, just a matter of holding out
    >> for that announcement of release date and then buying the C2.
    >> I'm not sure of the enhancements in C3 or how far out after
    >> announcement the actual release date will be, but I certainly
    >> can use C2 as is once I buy it. Like your suggestion of
    >> waiting till maybe a few C3 dot.releases are out till
    >> actually upgrading, even post-Betas have Betas.

    > Why not just download the CS3 beta for free and use it?
    > http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/

    Everyone has their own ideas about beta testing, here's mine: if
    one is NOT ready to have potentially great instability introduced
    into their overall system and spend lots of time loading newer
    betas, then it isn't a good idea to get involved. At the least, I
    would build an entirely separate partition for just the beta test
    in case anything bad happens, or to easily nuke the whole thing
    when done. Some beta products cannot be completely gotten rid of
    any other way.

    But, I didn't perceive the OP being interested in being a guinea
    pig, just when he should buy, so I doubt he's a good beta
    candidate.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 2, 2007
  15. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, tomm42 made these interesting comments ...

    > On Mar 1, 4:50 pm, "jimphotog via PhotoKB.com" <u32103@uwe>
    > wrote:
    >> I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that
    >> C3 Beta has been out over a month, and that if I wait to buy
    >> C2 till the C3 release date is announced, I will qualify for
    >> a free C3 upgrade. They say the upgrade charge otherwise will
    >> be in the range of $170 for earlier owners. The impression I
    >> get from them is that the Beta already is a pretty complete
    >> product (of course, that's what MS said about Vista way, way
    >> back when), and that since it's already been out a while,
    >> release date announcement shouldn't be that far away. Is
    >> there any scuttlebutt out there as to when this announcement
    >> might be expected to occur? Would hate not following their
    >> caution to maybe hold off for now, only to be laying out an
    >> additional $170 just a short time after I do the buy. Thank
    >> you for any responses.
    >>
    >> --
    >> o/200703/1

    > I generally upgrade Photoshop every other upgrade. CS2 is a
    > very good product, you could use it for a while then upgrade
    > to CS3 or wait for CS4. There is always an upgrade, the
    > neverending cycle. Adobe's revamping of ACR is one reason to
    > wait for CS3, but I get good results from the current ACR.

    If PS is anything like other typical apps, its release cycle is
    getting much shorter while really new features are getting
    smaller, making your idea an excellent one. And, it goes along
    with one of my sayings that I didn't coin: don't try to fix it if
    it isn't broken!, meaning, if CS2 does what the OP wants and
    needs, why switch unnecessarily, even if free, and invite a visit
    from Murphy.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 2, 2007
  16. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, ray made these interesting comments ...

    > On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:21:32 -0600, Jimmy wrote:
    >

    >>> Why not spend the interim checking out some of the free
    >>> alternatives, e.g. GIMP. You might find you won't need to
    >>> spend the money at all.
    >>>

    >> No, wait on this. GIMP 2.4 is to be released soon! :)

    > But that's a free upgrade of free software - why wait??

    One reason to wait is precisely because it IS free!

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 2, 2007
  17. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Mar 2, 11:06 am, "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote:
    > > Why not just download the CS3 beta for free and use it?
    > >http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/

    > Everyone has their own ideas about beta testing, here's mine: if
    > one is NOT ready to have potentially great instability introduced
    > into their overall system and spend lots of time loading newer
    > betas, then it isn't a good idea to get involved.

    I've been using the CS3 Beta without probs since it became available.
    It is a worthy upgrade to CS2. The new ACR is probably worth the
    upgrade alone.

    Annika1980, Mar 2, 2007
  18. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    Annika1980 <> wrote:

    > On Mar 2, 11:06 am, "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote:
    > > > Why not just download the CS3 beta for free and use it?
    > > >http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/

    > > Everyone has their own ideas about beta testing, here's mine: if
    > > one is NOT ready to have potentially great instability introduced
    > > into their overall system and spend lots of time loading newer
    > > betas, then it isn't a good idea to get involved.

    > I've been using the CS3 Beta without probs since it became available.
    > It is a worthy upgrade to CS2. The new ACR is probably worth the
    > upgrade alone.

    "Public" betas are generally more like FRCs [final release candidates]
    than "betas" - stable, but they're looking for tweaks, inputs, and hard
    user "abuse" to find those weird bugs that normal users won't ever see.
    I've beta (and alpha-) tested for almost 30 years (since the days of
    the Apple ][ computer) and have never seen a "public" beta that was
    buggy enough to cause "great instability".

    Another reason that "public" betas are released is to get people
    "hooked" on the program and get more $$ buyers for the actual release,
    as the public beta will expire and they'll be left still wanting to use
    the program.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Mar 2, 2007
  19. jimphotog via PhotoKB.com

    Savageduck Guest

    jimphotog via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > I am near purchasing Photoshop C2, but am told by Adobe that C3 Beta has been
    > out over a month, and that if I wait to buy C2 till the C3 release date is
    > announced, I will qualify for a free C3 upgrade. They say the upgrade charge
    > otherwise will be in the range of $170 for earlier owners. The impression I
    > get from them is that the Beta already is a pretty complete product (of
    > course, that's what MS said about Vista way, way back when), and that since
    > it's already been out a while, release date announcement shouldn't be that
    > far away. Is there any scuttlebutt out there as to when this announcement
    > might be expected to occur? Would hate not following their caution to maybe
    > hold off for now, only to be laying out an additional $170 just a short time
    > after I do the buy. Thank you for any responses.

    The real question is, what computer do you use?
    If you are using any Windows machine the answer is wait for the full
    release. Other than some of the added features with CS3 there is no
    major benefit.
    If you are a Mac or Powerbook user with a non Intel chip and are a CS@
    user and want to fool around with and familiarize yourself with CS3
    beta, go ahead, but you will find no real performance benefit.

    If you are an Intel Mac user who has been using CS2 with Rosetta
    conversion, you will find CS3 is a universal redevelopment and you will
    gain all the benefits of the faster Intel chips and the new streamlined
    user interface. Processing time is greatly shortened and the new tools
    are useful and easier to use.

    Otherwise try any of the GIMP as a stop gap (or as your main editor.)
    Good luck,
    'Duck

    Savageduck, Mar 2, 2007
  20. Annika1980 wrote:
    >> Thanks for the well thought out comments. I expect I'll follow pretty much
    >> this path, just a matter of holding out for that announcement of release date
    >> and then buying the C2. I'm not sure of the enhancements in C3 or how far
    >> out after announcement the actual release date will be, but I certainly can
    >> use C2 as is once I buy it. Like your suggestion of waiting till maybe a few
    >> C3 dot.releases are out till actually upgrading, even post-Betas have Betas.

    >Why not just download the CS3 beta for free and use it?
    >http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/

    I'm normally not a Beta user, but that's a good thought for this particular
    situation. Can anybody download these things? I'm very much in the learning
    stage, so pretty confident Beta will be sound enough in the basics to keep me
    moving. And then when release date is announced, I can either just continue
    with Beta if serving the purpose, or jump back and buy C2 which is fully
    proven and use it till kinks worked out of C3 and then get my free upgrade.
    Vola! You maybe hit on something here. All a matter of IQ -- you've got it,
    I'm apparently deficient. Many, many thanks.

    jimphotog via PhotoKB.com, Mar 2, 2007