    even then - who knows - it might be stolen.
    So - "anyone been here - done that " ?

    Bobb
    - Bobb -, Jul 26, 2006

  2. - Bobb -

    olfart Guest

    "- Bobb -" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone bought a Pc from craigslist ?
    > I'm in the market for a laptop so I checked it out and I see brand new (
    > "still in box") laptops on there for halfprice. Cash only . Are these
    > legit or stolen ? For example a "new in box" IBM T43 - elsewhere on the
    > web for $1300 - on craigslist it's $600 ( that one doesn't say where it
    > is located or "cash only" so maybe they would take check/charge). The ones
    > that list a town - that I can go see it - OK they are real pc's but even
    > then - who knows - it might be stolen.
    > So - "anyone been here - done that " ?
    >
    > Bobb

    Buying anything online for *cash* is a big mistake
    olfart, Jul 26, 2006

  3. - Bobb -

    AZGLI Guest

    Anything that sounds too good to be true with a computer probably is.
    They are probably either scams, hence the cash only, or they are
    ill-gotten goods. The other way that you get them discounted is from
    rebate scams, and you have no recourse if the unit is anything but what
    it is promised, with any of these. I would stay far, far away from any
    of these offers.
    HTH

    AZGLI, Jul 26, 2006
  4. - Bobb -

    cmdrdata Guest

    > - Bobb - wrote:
    > > Anyone bought a Pc from craigslist ?
    > > I'm in the market for a laptop so I checked it out and I see brand new
    > > ( "still in box") laptops on there for halfprice. Cash only . Are these
    > > legit or stolen ? For example a "new in box" IBM T43 - elsewhere on the
    > >
    > > Bobb

    My son did that recently, bought a "new" Dell laptop and paid $800
    something in cash). The laptop and HD contents seemed new. Later,
    when we called Dell for support I had no problem transferring
    registration ownership. So its a matter of buyer beware, and knowing /
    trusting the seller.

    Initially they only ask for Service Tag for support validation. When I
    asked them to send CDs so I can upgrade my HD, they have someone else's
    name on their record, so I told them how we got our laptop, and they
    then asked me to run some Dell utility on the laptop and gave them the
    magic answer, and after that they updated their registration database.
    cmdrdata, Jul 26, 2006
  5. - Bobb -

    Dr Nick Guest

    "- Bobb -" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone bought a Pc from craigslist ?
    > I'm in the market for a laptop so I checked it out and I see brand new (
    > "still in box") laptops on there for halfprice. Cash only . Are these
    > legit or stolen ? For example a "new in box" IBM T43 - elsewhere on the
    > web for $1300 - on craigslist it's $600 ( that one doesn't say where it
    > is located or "cash only" so maybe they would take check/charge). The ones
    > that list a town - that I can go see it - OK they are real pc's but even
    > then - who knows - it might be stolen.
    > So - "anyone been here - done that " ?
    >
    > Bobb

    well, I guess my suggestion would be to check it out. and when you do buy
    it, get a copy of his drivers license (or at least his license number). also
    check to see thta the serial number is still there ;-). if your worried
    about it, mention to the seller that your friend owns a pawn shop and your
    going to have him run the serial number (pawn shops have to check
    merchendise against a database of stolen goods) I'm guess when you say that,
    if it IS in fact stolen, he'd try and get out of the sale.

    good luck
    -Nick
    Dr Nick, Jul 27, 2006
  6. - Bobb -

    ric Guest

    > well, I guess my suggestion would be to check it out. and when you do buy
    > it, get a copy of his drivers license (or at least his license number). also
    > check to see thta the serial number is still there ;-). if your worried
    > about it, mention to the seller that your friend owns a pawn shop and your
    > going to have him run the serial number (pawn shops have to check
    > merchendise against a database of stolen goods) I'm guess when you say that,
    > if it IS in fact stolen, he'd try and get out of the sale.
    >
    > good luck
    > -Nick

    my main concern would be that the seller has persuaded you to come meet
    him at a place of his choosing, and he knows you have $600 in cash
    about your person, whereas he may or may not have a laptop...
    meet in a public place that you choose, and keep your eyes open.
    check the laptop doesn't have a BIOS password or hard disk password on
    it either...
    ric, Jul 27, 2006
  7. - Bobb -

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    - Bobb - wrote in message ...
    >Anyone bought a Pc from craigslist ?
    >I'm in the market for a laptop so I checked it out and I see brand new
    >( "still in box") laptops on there for halfprice. Cash only . Are these
    >legit or stolen ? For example a "new in box" IBM T43 - elsewhere on the
    >web for $1300 - on craigslist it's $600 ( that one doesn't say where it
    >is located or "cash only" so maybe they would take check/charge). The
    >ones that list a town - that I can go see it - OK they are real pc's but
    >even then - who knows - it might be stolen.
    >So - "anyone been here - done that " ?
    >
    >Bobb

    Personally, if I were to buy a laptop, the absolute last place I would
    search is anywhere on the Internet. I would buy retail at a store like
    CompUSA and pay cash. It may be a lot to lay out, but it is cheaper in the
    long run than financing. A buddy of mine is actually paying $800 extra over
    two years for the privelage of financing. He will be done paying just in
    time for it to be obsolete. Even though the retail price would be more, you
    can get a warranty (if the product is any good it should be included at no
    extra cost) and if there are any problems you are in the area. And you know
    they aren't stolen, either.
    Ernie Werbel, Jul 27, 2006
  8. - Bobb -

    Nick Vital Guest

    > Personally, if I were to buy a laptop, the absolute last place I would
    > search is anywhere on the Internet. I would buy retail at a store like
    > CompUSA and pay cash. It may be a lot to lay out, but it is cheaper in
    > the
    > long run than financing. A buddy of mine is actually paying $800 extra
    > over
    > two years for the privelage of financing. He will be done paying just in
    > time for it to be obsolete. Even though the retail price would be more,
    > you
    > can get a warranty (if the product is any good it should be included at no
    > extra cost) and if there are any problems you are in the area. And you
    > know
    > they aren't stolen, either.

    wow, soudns like your friend got hosed pretty hard core. I bought my laptop
    over a year ago from circuit city. bought it opwn box buy, and then still
    got the rebates. laptops orignal price tag was 1400, I paid about 900 for
    it. and then financed it with 0% interested for 24 months. making my
    payments slightrly under 40 dollars a month for a laptop with NO interest. I
    did the same thing wiht my HD tv at bestbuy. if you look hard enough you can
    ALWAYS find these type of deal (perticularly at best buy and Circuit city)
    so you should never have to "pay for the privlidge of financing"

    -N
    Nick Vital, Jul 28, 2006