    Is there a government agency I could phone to find out?

    Also, what is the best credit card to buy stuff on the internet from the US?

    Thanks - Joe

    Joe Black, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Joe Black

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:59:12 +1300, "Joe Black"
    <> wrote:

    >I am thinking of buying some computer components from the US which will come
    >to about $900 NZD.
    >Will I have to pay GST when it gets to NZ?
    >Is there a government agency I could phone to find out?
    >
    >Also, what is the best credit card to buy stuff on the internet from the US?
    >
    >Thanks - Joe

    Hi, Joe.

    You don't pay GSTto the place you're buying from.

    However, if the GST component would be over $50 (ie if the order is
    over $400) you have to pay the equivalent to customs when it comes in.

    There is no duty on computer goods.

    See http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/private importers/default.asp

    Gurble, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Joe Black

    steve Guest

    Joe Black allegedly said:

    > I am thinking of buying some computer components from the US which will
    > come to about $900 NZD.

    Expect to pay GST if the article and shipping costs total over NZ$400. In
    reality, you may get away with it if they are too busy. But if you don't,
    be ready to pay.

    I've had articles arrive in 2 days only to find it then takes me a week to
    pay duty and GST and get them shipped from Auckland.

    In one case....it arrived in Auckland and NO ONE told me. I had to put a
    trace on it (3 days), then find a bonded customs agent ("a what?!") who was
    willing to handle one small parcel. It was a huge hassle and took 3 weeks
    in all.

    But that was one occasion out of what would easily be over 100. It was also
    the most expensive item of them all - at NZ$1,800.

    > Will I have to pay GST when it gets to NZ?
    > Is there a government agency I could phone to find out?
    >
    > Also, what is the best credit card to buy stuff on the internet from the
    > US?

    One that isn't over the credit limit. :)

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Joe Black

    steve Guest

    steve allegedly said:

    > I've had articles arrive in 2 days only to find it then takes me a week to
    > pay duty and GST and get them shipped from Auckland.

    There used to be a duty on modems....I do not know if there still is.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Joe Black

    steve Guest

    Joe Black allegedly said:

    > Will I have to pay GST when it gets to NZ?

    If you can have it shipped via US Post (cheapest) then you may just be able
    to pay the GST at your local postal centre when you pick it up. They will
    put a card in your letter box telling you there is a package with GST due.

    Many US companies only use DHL or Fedex....partly because they charge a
    margin on the shipping cost.....which is subsidizing the low price onthe
    item you may have ordered. Partly because they can get insurance.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Nov 13, 2003
  6. On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:59:12 +1300, "Joe Black" <>
    wrote:

    >I am thinking of buying some computer components from the US which will come
    >to about $900 NZD.
    >Will I have to pay GST when it gets to NZ?

    Yes on the Total landed added costs..

    Its generally not really worth it unless the stuff is not available here.

    >Is there a government agency I could phone to find out?
    >
    >Also, what is the best credit card to buy stuff on the internet from the US?

    A lot of firms in the US will not deal with NZ and most will not take NZ
    credit cards, some will also add a penalty..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 13, 2003
  7. Joe Black

    Andrew Guest

    Are they goods that are not actually available in NZ? - if so.. Cool

    If not... Why dont you support NZ?
    The biggest downfall with buying overseas is warranty issues

    Andrew, Nov 13, 2003
  8. Andrew wrote:
    > Are they goods that are not actually available in NZ? - if so.. Cool
    >
    > If not... Why dont you support NZ?
    > The biggest downfall with buying overseas is warranty issues

    I choose not to support NZ distributors because in a lot of cases the trade buy
    price is higher then the retail in the states.

    Warrantys on portable electronics are worthless, they just point to a scratch
    and tell you that you dropped it.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Nov 14, 2003
  9. On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:26:28 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith <>
    wrote:

    >Andrew wrote:
    >> Are they goods that are not actually available in NZ? - if so.. Cool
    >>
    >> If not... Why dont you support NZ?
    >> The biggest downfall with buying overseas is warranty issues

    >I choose not to support NZ distributors because in a lot of cases the trade buy
    >price is higher then the retail in the states.

    Crap prove it.

    >Warrantys on portable electronics are worthless, they just point to a scratch
    >and tell you that you dropped it.

    No it is not, you have the C.G.A to back you up..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Gregory Parker wrote:

    >>I choose not to support NZ distributors because in a lot of cases the trade buy
    >>price is higher then the retail in the states.

    > Crap prove it.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=485094&Sku=D700-2146&CatId=372

    $109 US/0.58 = $187 NZ or so.

    From dove, it was $270+GST

    I think even if you were to have it send fedex it would not cost more then it
    does in nz.

    Do the maths.

    >>Warrantys on portable electronics are worthless, they just point to a scratch
    >>and tell you that you dropped it.

    > No it is not, you have the C.G.A to back you up..

    Perhaps if your time is worth nothing to you then you would chase a $150 cd
    player or something thru to disputes and turn up and miss a day of work just to
    have them set it right or whatever, Im too busy for that. The CGA is toothless.
    It wastes time getting anything done under it which you have no comeback for
    under it. All you can hope for is that the retailer doesnt want to have there
    time wasted in the same manner. As they typically have staff on low low pay, its
    not uncommon for them to turn up to the hearings and attempt, even if poorly to
    defend them.

    Also, if there are marks on it of being dropped, they are well within there
    rights to deny the warentee as it has being mistreated.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Nov 14, 2003
  11. On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:39:42 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith <>
    wrote:

    >Gregory Parker wrote:
    >
    >>>I choose not to support NZ distributors because in a lot of cases the trade buy
    >>>price is higher then the retail in the states.

    >> Crap prove it.

    >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=485094&Sku=D700-2146&CatId=372
    >
    >$109 US/0.58 = $187 NZ or so.

    Then add Shipping and Port and Custom agent charges..

    > From dove, it was $270+GST

    Seems that you are looking it through juvenile eyes and don't under stand all
    the Facts..

    >I think even if you were to have it send fedex it would not cost more then it
    >does in nz.
    >
    >Do the maths.
    >
    >>>Warrantys on portable electronics are worthless, they just point to a scratch
    >>>and tell you that you dropped it.

    >> No it is not, you have the C.G.A to back you up..

    >Perhaps if your time is worth nothing to you then you would chase a $150 cd
    >player or something thru to disputes and turn up and miss a day of work just to
    >have them set it right or whatever, Im too busy for that. The CGA is toothless.
    >It wastes time getting anything done under it which you have no comeback for
    >under it. All you can hope for is that the retailer doesnt want to have there
    >time wasted in the same manner. As they typically have staff on low low pay, its
    >not uncommon for them to turn up to the hearings and attempt, even if poorly to
    >defend them.
    >
    >Also, if there are marks on it of being dropped, they are well within there
    >rights to deny the warentee as it has being mistreated.

    Seems that you lack in you convictions as follow the Kiwi trend of being
    complacent..

    That's is your problem if you do not look after it, plus at that price it
    would be low end crap..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 14, 2003
  12. On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:39:42 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=485094&Sku=D700-2146&CatId=372
    >
    > $109 US/0.58 = $187 NZ or so.
    >
    > From dove, it was $270+GST

    It gets worse if the US company decides to use Australian distributors.

    If that happens, hardware prices usually double and software usually triple.

    And yes, it _IS_ true that it's often cheaper to buy something US retail +
    freight than the local distributors can obtain it for, let alone sell it.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 14, 2003
  13. Joe Black

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:58:13 +1300, Gregory Parker
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:39:42 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith <>
    >wrote:

    >>> Crap prove it.

    >>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=485094&Sku=D700-2146&CatId=372
    >>
    >>$109 US/0.58 = $187 NZ or so.

    >Then add Shipping and Port and Custom agent charges..
    >
    >> From dove, it was $270+GST

    >Seems that you are looking it through juvenile eyes and don't under stand all
    >the Facts..

    You're the one who's been bitching about NZ prices since 1995!

    Invisible, Nov 15, 2003
  14. >>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=485094&Sku=D700-2146&CatId=372

    >>$109 US/0.58 = $187 NZ or so.

    > Then add Shipping and Port and Custom agent charges..

    Never had to before, why would it start all of a sudden on imports of 1 or 2 units?

    >>From dove, it was $270+GST

    > Seems that you are looking it through juvenile eyes and don't under stand all
    > the Facts..

    What more FACTS are there to "under stand"? It costs less from there then here.
    If A is less then B, then A is less then B, FACTS dont change maths.

    >>I think even if you were to have it send fedex it would not cost more then it
    >>does in nz.
    >>
    >>Do the maths.

    >>>No it is not, you have the C.G.A to back you up..

    > Seems that you lack in you convictions as follow the Kiwi trend of being
    > complacent..
    >

    > That's is your problem if you do not look after it, plus at that price it
    > would be low end crap..

    What difference does it matter if its low end or not? Are people that get
    cheaper goods not worthy of a decent level of customer service?

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Nov 15, 2003
  15. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:16:32 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith <>
    wrote:

    >>>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=485094&Sku=D700-2146&CatId=372
    >>>
    >>>$109 US/0.58 = $187 NZ or so.

    >> Then add Shipping and Port and Custom agent charges..

    >Never had to before, why would it start all of a sudden on imports of 1 or 2 units?
    >
    >>>From dove, it was $270+GST

    >> Seems that you are looking it through juvenile eyes and don't under stand all
    >> the Facts..

    >What more FACTS are there to "under stand"? It costs less from there then here.
    >If A is less then B, then A is less then B, FACTS dont change maths.

    Ah but can you ADD..?

    Gregory Parker, Nov 15, 2003
  16. Gregory Parker wrote:

    >>What more FACTS are there to "under stand"? It costs less from there then here.
    >>If A is less then B, then A is less then B, FACTS dont change maths.

    > Ah but can you ADD..?

    Yeah, thats how I arrived to the conclusion that it was cheaper to get from the
    states.

    cost of 2 access points plus shipping was less then the cost of 2 in NZ. I
    wouldnt order from overseas if it worked out that it was more expensive.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Nov 15, 2003
  17. Joe Black

    KS Guest

    >> Ah but can you ADD..?

    > Yeah, thats how I arrived to the conclusion that it was cheaper to
    > get from the states.

    Just remember that dealing with Roger is like catching sand !

    Amusing to begin with, then it slowly degenerates into a complete waste of
    time. But, like being at the beach, it can be amusing for the kids.

    KS, Nov 15, 2003
  18. Joe Black

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bp2039$sfl$>, says...
    > Andrew wrote:
    > > Are they goods that are not actually available in NZ? - if so.. Cool
    > >
    > > If not... Why dont you support NZ?
    > > The biggest downfall with buying overseas is warranty issues

    > I choose not to support NZ distributors because in a lot of cases the trade buy
    > price is higher then the retail in the states.
    >
    > Warrantys on portable electronics are worthless, they just point to a scratch
    > and tell you that you dropped it.

    Scratches and other wear and tear are excluded from most warranties, you
    should check to see if there are scratched BEFORE you buy.

    Mainlander, Nov 19, 2003
  19. Joe Black

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bp2039$sfl$>, says...
    > Andrew wrote:
    > > Are they goods that are not actually available in NZ? - if so.. Cool
    > >
    > > If not... Why dont you support NZ?
    > > The biggest downfall with buying overseas is warranty issues

    > I choose not to support NZ distributors because in a lot of cases the trade buy
    > price is higher then the retail in the states.

    But your US warranty may not be valid in NZ and no NZ warranty coverage
    may be available.

    To give an example, CDMA phones bought overseas can't be legally
    permanently connected to the NZ telecom network because the telepermit
    requirements would cost too much for individual phones.

    Mainlander, Nov 19, 2003
  20. Joe Black

    Mutlley Guest

    Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <bp2039$sfl$>, says...
    >> Andrew wrote:
    >> > Are they goods that are not actually available in NZ? - if so.. Cool
    >> >
    >> > If not... Why dont you support NZ?
    >> > The biggest downfall with buying overseas is warranty issues

    >> I choose not to support NZ distributors because in a lot of cases the trade buy
    >> price is higher then the retail in the states.

    >But your US warranty may not be valid in NZ and no NZ warranty coverage
    >may be available.
    >
    >To give an example, CDMA phones bought overseas can't be legally
    >permanently connected to the NZ telecom network because the telepermit
    >requirements would cost too much for individual phones.

    More like a case of Telecom NZ keeping it's CDMA handset monopoly.
    The only PTC differences are in the data transmission area. The
    voice component is the same on all CDMA handsets..

    Mutlley, Nov 19, 2003