    If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.

    Thank you,

    Shannon
    Shannon, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Shannon

    George Guest

    Why don't you check out the seller in question at www.resellerratings.com?
    Some sellers
    never bother to ship anything, many NYC dealers gut the package of standard
    items then
    will only sell if you buy them back at inflated prices...there are too many
    tricks to list, but
    the above-mentioned website ought to give you some idea if you wish to deal
    with a given
    seller.

    George, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Shannon

    Jem Raid Guest

    "Shannon" <> wrote in message
    > I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
    > that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
    > know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
    > warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
    > Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
    > should be concerned about?
    > If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Shannon

    I bought a Casio camera from a place in London, I asked on here if anyone
    else had bought from there, they had, so I did too :)

    Jem
    Jem Raid, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Shannon

    Ken Guest

    Hi Shannon,

    Be careful where you buy! I called several companies and asked about the
    products that they were offering. The less cheaper prices usually did not
    include the typical and necessary accessories. For instance, the camera did
    not come with the battery and charger. They were gracious to offer the
    battery and charger for an additional fee that would add up to about the
    same price of other companies that included them.

    CALL and ask questions! Just remember, if the price looks too good to be
    true, it probably is!

    Halon

    Ken, Aug 21, 2004
  5. Shannon

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Shannon wrote:
    > I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
    > that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
    > know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
    > warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
    > Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
    > should be concerned about?
    > If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Shannon

    Reasons why price is low:

    1: Many local stores sell at full list price (MSLP or MSRP).
    This price is designed to leave a LOT of profit margin for the
    dealer. Mass market mail order shops can live on lower profit
    margins and pass the savings to the buyer. BUT BEWARE, what
    you save on price you may give away to UPS, FEDX or USPS.

    2: Gray Market goods. Also called Parallel inports or twice
    imported. In this case the MSRP abroad translated into US
    dollars is less. The dealer is playing the currency game here.
    But your warranty might not be any good. However a good dealer
    will back the camera with his own warranty. Many of the
    NY camera shops sell Gray Market, but provide the buyer with
    their own warranty equal or better than the factory. If the
    dealer is also a repair point (many are) even better.

    3: Gutted packages. Dealers who sell ONLY the body and charge
    extra for the included goodies. But some dealers buy the bodies
    alone in bulk packs as Gray Market and include generic accessories.

    4: Factory refub goods. Nothing wrong here. A factory
    reconditioned camera is as good as a brand new one IF it
    came from the factory! BUT, you should be told that's
    what you are buying. Such goods can not be legaly sold as
    new (in the US anyway. So Gray Market goods could be
    refurbs if selling such as new is legal in the country
    it was exported from).

    5: Factory rejects, seconds. BEWARE!!!!
    Ken Scharf, Aug 21, 2004
  6. Shannon

    Al Dykes Guest

    Always check

    www.resellerratings.com

    before you buy from a mail order place you're not familiar with.

    Compare the results for your store to bhphoto.com or adorama.com

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------
    Al Dykes, Aug 21, 2004
  7. Shannon

    Dave Guest

    I would buy from one of the very reliable online merchants that are widely
    known. In my opinion, there really aren't that many. B&H Photo Video in
    NYC is one. I'm sure there are others. Know exactly what you expect to
    receive and go over the list on the phone. Do whatever research is required
    to get that list. Pay with MC/VISA and make sure that your issuing bank's
    policy permits you to contest the charges should something "go south." I
    have seen some banks' policies that make it more difficult to contest
    charges when the merchant is more than 50 miles away. That was years ago,
    maybe the banks are doing something different now.

    Dave, Aug 21, 2004
  8. Shannon

    Verne Cotton Guest

    Caveat Emptor!!
    I almost bought an Oly 8080 from a grey area dealer only to find out that it
    was an "import model". This means that you get a Japanese camera with a
    Japanese manual, no battery, straps of any of the other goodies that comes
    in the box with at the retail outlet.
    So don't let greed rule your decision or you will get screwed.
    After my near screwing, I finally found Beach Camera: an official online Oly
    dealer (other brands too) and a dealer recommended by Steve's Digiicams.com.
    The weren't the cheapest place but still a lot lower than retail.
    I called them to discuss my order just to make sure that I was getting what
    I paid for and they were polite, helpful, and professional. Bottom line: I
    got my Oly 8080 WZ with case, spare battery and a full box for around 800
    bucks including free shipping. I don't think you are going to beat that.
    Good luck with your shopping.
    Verne

    Verne Cotton, Aug 21, 2004
  9. Shannon

    lefty Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:33:21 GMT, "Dave" <>
    wrote:

    You gotta be careful///sometimes a too good price is just that; these
    are dealers that get a price breakpoint at ~100 units. They hold all
    their orders until they satisfy that breakpoint...could be month or
    more. And you sit waiting... Also... use VISA - not a promo for
    them, but they support your purchase and in alot of cases, double your
    warranty if from a dealer.

    lefty, Aug 21, 2004
  10. Shannon

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Verne Cotton wrote:
    > Caveat Emptor!!
    > I almost bought an Oly 8080 from a grey area dealer only to find out that it
    > was an "import model". This means that you get a Japanese camera with a
    > Japanese manual, no battery, straps of any of the other goodies that comes
    > in the box with at the retail outlet.
    > So don't let greed rule your decision or you will get screwed.
    > After my near screwing, I finally found Beach Camera: an official online Oly
    > dealer (other brands too) and a dealer recommended by Steve's Digiicams.com.
    > The weren't the cheapest place but still a lot lower than retail.
    > I called them to discuss my order just to make sure that I was getting what
    > I paid for and they were polite, helpful, and professional. Bottom line: I
    > got my Oly 8080 WZ with case, spare battery and a full box for around 800
    > bucks including free shipping. I don't think you are going to beat that.
    > Good luck with your shopping.
    > Verne
    >

    > "Shannon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
    >>that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
    >>know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
    >>warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
    >> Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
    >>should be concerned about?
    >> If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> Shannon

    That's a fair price on the C8080, still a bit below the MSRP and not
    really above the 'street price'.
    Factory referb C8080's are already on ebay, and for not much less
    than that!

    Good luck with your new camera. I was looking at the current crop
    of 8mp cameras and none of them seemed perfect, though the Oly was
    the closest to it. If it only had a manual zoom ring, optical
    finder and used AA batteries! But then maybe what I really wanted
    was a true SLR at a rangefinder price.
    Ken Scharf, Aug 21, 2004
  11. "Shannon" <> wrote in message
    > I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
    > that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
    > know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
    > warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
    > Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
    > should be concerned about?
    > If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Shannon

    Cameta Camera, Adorama, and B&H are the three NY dealers I have purchased
    from. There are more reputable ones but there are far more rip-off artists
    in NY then reputable it seems. If the price is too low it is because you
    won't get the camera unless you buy overpriced accessories and wind up
    spending more money with them anyway.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Aug 22, 2004
  12. Shannon

    Krow Guest

    Shannon wrote:
    > I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
    > that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
    > know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
    > warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
    > Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
    > should be concerned about?
    > If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Shannon

    Shannon

    Don't be afraid to bicker over prices. I recently asked for quotes from
    area dealers and reputable on-line sources for a package deal: Digital
    Rebel, a second lens, battery grip, extra battery, flash.... I asked
    sent my request via email and told each one I was shopping around for
    the best deal I could get.

    Both local, and surprising to me, most on-line dealers came back with a
    total price much lower than their shelf/advertised price. Quotes here in
    Canada ranged from $2200 to $3100 for the same items! Surprisingly, my
    in-town private storefront guy was within $250 of the lowest on-line
    quote. I went back to him and told him what I could get it for, would
    like to buy locally (true), but this was too much of a difference. He
    came down to within $100 of my lowest quote. That made it worthwhile
    for me to drop in to pick up what I wanted that day - no waiting, no
    shipping, and best of all I now have a relationship with my local dealer.

    Since then I've been able to order several other items from him at
    reduced prices. Its a win/win situation - I get the prices I want as
    well as the personalized service ("if anything goes wrong just bring it
    in here and we'll look after fixing it or sending it for service - we
    keep records of all your purchases") and they get business from me, and
    others that I point that way, that they could well have lost to a
    mail-order company.

    I would order on-line but only from a reputable dealer and only if the
    price difference was significant enough to justify the wait, shipping
    charges, and most of all the hastle should I have to return it.

    Keith
    Krow, Aug 22, 2004
  13. Shannon

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Some sellers online post bait and switch prices and try to sell you additional
    "stuff" to hike the price.
    You have no worries if you buy from reliable vedors such as buy.com,
    BHphotovideo.com, PCNation.com, Newegg.com to just list a few.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Aug 23, 2004
  14. Shannon

    BandHPhoto Guest

    < Gray Market goods. Also called Parallel inports or twice imported. In this
    case the MSRP abroad translated into US dollars is less. The dealer is playing
    the currency game here.>

    No, he's not. He's paying less and charging less.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com