    option? What about the warranty (it's for a Canon camera)? Do I have to
    send the camera back in US if something goes wrong?

    thx a lot
    lol, Aug 26, 2003

  2. lol

    Sunnyfield Guest

    > hi,
    > does anybody knows where to buy a camera with an international (Europe)

    shipping
    > option? What about the warranty (it's for a Canon camera)? Do I have to
    > send the camera back in US if something goes wrong?
    >
    > thx a lot

    Be careful if you get it posted to Europe. On new goods you have to pay VAT,
    custom duties, import duties and possibly other fees. It even is your duty
    to do so, if it goes unnoticed through the post. The total cost may exceed
    the price of buying in Europe. If you want a really cheap deal on digital
    cameras, buy in Hong Kong.

    Typically there is an international warranty. I believe Canon has an
    international warranty. You can choose to deal directly with Canon for your
    warranty, as long as you have an official (US) receipt. No receipt, no
    warranty.

    Good luck
    Eward
    Sunnyfield, Aug 26, 2003

  3. lol

    Alan Brennan Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:22:45 +0100
    Sunnyfield ( )
    Wrote

    > Typically there is an international warranty. I believe Canon has an
    > international warranty.

    Canon's warranty is country specific on consumer products and doesn't
    apply to countries other than the one in which the camera was bought.
    This is to stop parallel importing.

    Alan Brennan, Aug 26, 2003
  4. lol

    Sunnyfield Guest

    *snip*
    > > Typically there is an international warranty. I believe Canon has an
    > > international warranty.

    > Canon's warranty is country specific on consumer products and doesn't
    > apply to countries other than the one in which the camera was bought.
    > This is to stop parallel importing.

    You will have to check with Canon Europe in that case. A week ago, an Aussie
    said they do have international warranty:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?U389126B5

    In my experience companies are quite good at dealing with warranties
    internationally, but you take a risk, I guess.

    Eward
    Sunnyfield, Aug 26, 2003
  5. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:22:05 +0100, Sunnyfield wrote:

    > *snip*
    >> > Typically there is an international warranty. I believe Canon has an
    >> > international warranty.

    >> Canon's warranty is country specific on consumer products and doesn't
    >> apply to countries other than the one in which the camera was bought.
    >> This is to stop parallel importing.

    > You will have to check with Canon Europe in that case. A week ago, an
    > Aussie said they do have international warranty:
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?U389126B5

    And in fact Canon USA specifically state they have a 1 year international
    warranty on EOS cameras:-

    http://www.usa.canon.com/html/support/slrfaq.html

    Of course this may not be the same if you're buying a compact camera -
    you'd have to check separately.

    Mike.
    Mike Brodbelt, Aug 27, 2003
  6. lol

    Casper Budtz Guest

    Hi,

    I just did a lot of research on that subject myself, wanting to buy a
    Canon Powershot G3. If you check on www.bizrate.com or
    www.pricescan.com for instance you will find that most places will
    ship to Europe. Beware of some of the cheapest options (like Digital
    Liquidators or Camera Royal etc... its gray are and many of them are
    actually one and the same company - would stay away).

    Shipping to Europe is usually more that $100. On top of that add that
    your Canon will not by covered by warranty plus that you'll probably
    get a VAT bill. My understanding now is that Canon warranties are
    specific to either USA/Canada(/Mexico) or International (ie, rest of
    world). I've read stories here and there of people whov'es
    successfully had their cameras fixed in Europe on a USA warranty but I
    think thats a question of luck.

    I can see from your email that you are located in France. You might
    save a bit by ordering in Germany - check some of the links here:
    http://de.search.yahoo.com/search/de?p=preisvergleich&y=y (German
    price comparison pages).

    I ended up buying my cam in the states nonetheless, but only because
    someone is bringing it over for me - and that the saving was big
    enough for me to be willing to take the risk with the warranty. If I
    hadn't had that option I would have bought it in Germany or UK.

    Hope this helps,

    Casper

    Casper Budtz, Aug 27, 2003