    lemon? Thanks! I just don't want to get ripped off because this is
    for my fiancee
    , May 11, 2006

  2. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > I am thinking about buying a digital camera on ebay and does anyone
    > have any advice for me. I've never had a good experience buying on
    > ebay. I know of people that have gotten good deals on ebay and I was
    > wondering what is the best method?
    >
    > I am specifically looking at getting a canon powershot with 4.0
    > megapixels. What should be hints the camera I am looking at isn't a
    > lemon? Thanks! I just don't want to get ripped off because this is
    > for my fiancee

    If you already have bad experiences with E-bay...and...If this is for your
    fiance', bite the bullet and buy a new camera. E-bay tends to be a seller's
    market anyway.

    What is your budget/target price?

    -Mark²
    Mark², May 12, 2006

  3. JimmyG Guest

    I've spent about $10k on photo equipment in the last year, over half of
    which was purchased on Ebay.

    1)Don't let yourself get caught in bidding wars. RESEARCH THE REASONABLE
    PRICE that you can get elsewhere, & don't exceed it. Good or better deals
    can be found by Googling the item, then buying it on Amazon, or from Adorama
    or B&H, for example.
    2) Watch newly posted items, especially buy-it-now items.
    3) Pay attention to feedback. Some negative is OK from high-volume sellers
    if it is not excessive, & seems to come from inexperienced buyers.

    Check Cameta Camera on Ebay. Usually good deals, & great service (For me,
    anyhow).

    --
    Jimmy Greene
    Santee, CA / Lake Oswego, OR
    JimmyG, May 12, 2006
  4. Guest

    One other thing to watch out for on eBay that happened to me with a
    different piece of electronics (a ReplayTV unit): Even though the unit
    was brand new, I had no manufacturer's warranty since I hadn't
    purchased it from a dealer. The guy who sold it to me had that warranty
    and I would have had to ship the unit back to him, have him get the
    warranty repair, and then have him ship it back to me. Maybe on a
    camera it's not an issue (and maybe you could even register the
    warranty), but with the ReplayTV it was a major problem, and not
    something I'd heard about before.
    , May 12, 2006
  5. writes:

    > I am thinking about buying a digital camera on ebay and does anyone
    > have any advice for me. I've never had a good experience buying on
    > ebay. I know of people that have gotten good deals on ebay and I was
    > wondering what is the best method?
    >
    > I am specifically looking at getting a canon powershot with 4.0
    > megapixels. What should be hints the camera I am looking at isn't a
    > lemon? Thanks! I just don't want to get ripped off because this is
    > for my fiancee

    I've bought a number of things on ebay, and before that through
    contacts made on Usenet newsgroups. All but one of the transactions
    have been fully satisfactory. In one case a lens was somewhat more
    used than I was expecting, and I ended up paying for a
    clean-lubricate-adjust before I was happy with it. I bought two
    lenses in March that I've been quite happy with, both the lens and the
    price.

    Getting a *bargain* on ebay is harder than getting a good
    transaction. The big point is to not let yourself get attached to
    buying one *particular* item; you have to be willing to let it go if
    the price goes to more than you'll be happy with, and start bidding on
    the next one instead.

    You'll get the best prices by making one bid, at the last minute (or
    last 20 seconds), of the full amount you're willing to pay. This is
    often called "sniping", and many people find it an offensive tactic.
    But it's perfectly legal, and it actually makes philsophical sense --
    it's a reaction to the fact that, on Ebay, an auction has a fixed
    *end* time, and does not require active attention from the
    participants at all times throughout the auction. Both of these are
    very different from a normal in-person auction, and so different
    strategies make sense. (A "sniping"-based approach works out okay for
    all competing buyers and for the seller, if everybody uses it; it's
    not an "I-win-you-lose" thing). It ends up making the auction work
    like a typical "silent auction", except the high bidder isn't
    committed to his full bid, just to the next-high bidder's + minimum
    increment.

    I understand why people are upset if somebody bids $1 more than
    they're willing to at the last minute -- but hey, if they were
    actually willing to bid $1 more, then the should have done so! (You
    do know how ebay's proxy bidding system works, right? The above will
    make little sense if you don't.)

    Searching what prices similar items have recently sold for is very
    educational.
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 12, 2006
  6. AZ Nomad Guest

    On 11 May 2006 22:42:50 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >You'll get the best prices by making one bid, at the last minute (or
    >last 20 seconds), of the full amount you're willing to pay. This is
    >often called "sniping", and many people find it an offensive tactic.

    You can get the same effect by bidding the exact same price 5 days prior.

    If nobody is willing to pay more than your bid, you'll get it.
    If somebody wants it more than you, you'll lose out if you bid
    at the last minute too.

    I'd rather search buy-now sometimes. I once lost 12 laptop auctions,
    including ones I only joined during the last minute. The auctions
    were commanding top dollar, more than I was willing to spend.
    AZ Nomad, May 12, 2006
  7. I have had very good success with ebay, including buying a Kodak P&S camera
    and 2 laptop computers. As others have said, don't go any higher than you
    think would be a good deal, another one will soon come up for auction. If
    you have the patience, you will get what you want at a great price.

    Be careful of the shipping charges. Some people will sneak in exorbantly
    excessive shipping charges since they don't have to pay commission to ebay
    on that, and it's like a minimum bid for them.

    Also look at their record and read some of the negative responses, so see if
    they are valid. Some people will complain even if the description is just
    what they got.

    Richard Bornstein, May 12, 2006
  8. AZ Nomad <> writes:
    >On 11 May 2006 22:42:50 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >>You'll get the best prices by making one bid, at the last minute (or
    >>last 20 seconds), of the full amount you're willing to pay. This is
    >>often called "sniping", and many people find it an offensive tactic.

    >You can get the same effect by bidding the exact same price 5 days prior.

    It depends on who else is bidding. If *everyone* knows their maximum
    and won't go over it, then there's no advantage to budding late, and in
    fact one advantage to bidding early: if there are two equal high bids,
    the earlier one wins.

    On the other hand, there are some bidders who don't know what their
    maximum is, but who are willing to pay $1 more than whatever someone
    else thinks it is worth. You can see it in the bidding history for some
    auctions - they keep increasing their bid in small increments until
    either they are the high bidder, or they quit leaving the same person as
    high bidder, but forcing the winner to pay more. Or you'll see two
    people in a bidding war, increasing their bids again and again.

    By bidding at the last moment (sniping), you deny the "ratchet" bidders
    any advance information about how much *you* are willing to pay. If
    everyone who is seriously interested snipes, then a single ratchet
    bidder will be the high bidder for most of the auction, won't increase
    their bid in response to other bidders, and then will not have time to
    respond to all of the other bids that arrive 10 seconds from the end.

    If you bid early, you provide a competitor for someone who thinks Ebay
    is like a live auction. If you bid at the last moment, you do not.

    >If nobody is willing to pay more than your bid, you'll get it.
    >If somebody wants it more than you, you'll lose out if you bid
    >at the last minute too.

    That's true if everyone else knows their limit and bids rationally.
    Unfortunately, ebay bidders don't always abide by those assumptions.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, May 12, 2006
  9. Don Dunlap Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am thinking about buying a digital camera on ebay and does anyone
    > have any advice for me. I've never had a good experience buying on
    > ebay. I know of people that have gotten good deals on ebay and I was
    > wondering what is the best method?
    >
    > I am specifically looking at getting a canon powershot with 4.0
    > megapixels. What should be hints the camera I am looking at isn't a
    > lemon? Thanks! I just don't want to get ripped off because this is
    > for my fiancee

    I have mixed emotions about e-bay. I have bought and sold many items there
    and have been pleased most of the time. The problem I have is buying
    anything that is used. I would never buy a camera or lens used because
    there is a very good chance that the seller is getting rid of it because of
    some problem that it has.

    With a lens, there are always those that are not quite as good as others.
    Even with a Canon "L" lens, you can get one that is not quite up to snuff
    and the seller might be dumping it because of this. A good used lens sells
    for almost the price of a new one anyway, so I will always go for the new
    one from B&H.

    Don Dunlap
    Don Dunlap, May 12, 2006
  10. AZ Nomad <> writes:

    > On 11 May 2006 22:42:50 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > >You'll get the best prices by making one bid, at the last minute (or
    > >last 20 seconds), of the full amount you're willing to pay. This is
    > >often called "sniping", and many people find it an offensive tactic.

    > You can get the same effect by bidding the exact same price 5 days prior.

    I don't believe so. Many people will work themselves up slowly to a
    bid when they see the competition, that they'd never reach bidding
    blind.

    > If nobody is willing to pay more than your bid, you'll get it.
    > If somebody wants it more than you, you'll lose out if you bid
    > at the last minute too.
    >
    > I'd rather search buy-now sometimes. I once lost 12 laptop auctions,
    > including ones I only joined during the last minute. The auctions
    > were commanding top dollar, more than I was willing to spend.

    People on ebay sometimes pay prices higher than MSRP for items that
    actuall *are* available in stores. (Very different from paying above
    list for something new and in short supply.) I think some people
    don't do their research, or else they just get caught up in the
    adrenaline rush of competitive bidding.
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 12, 2006
  11. Jeremy Guest

    >> >You'll get the best prices by making one bid, at the last minute (or
    >> >last 20 seconds), of the full amount you're willing to pay. This is
    >> >often called "sniping", and many people find it an offensive tactic.

    I snipe all the time, and I find nothing offensive about it. Why should I
    tip off anyone that I happen to be interested in a given item? Why should I
    engage in bidding wars with some fools that would not even have had any
    interest in bidding on the item, save for the fact that they saw that others
    were bidding on it?

    Sniping does NOT make for an nonlevel playing field, because anyone may
    enter a proxy bid, with their best price, and the highest bid wins in the
    end. So, if someone wants the item, and is willing to be the high bidder,
    no amount of sniping can unseat his position.

    The mere fact that we snipers choose to exercise our right to not tip our
    hands, by waiting to bid until the last moments of auctions, hurts no one,
    except the fools that bid everything up because they are in bidding
    frenzies.
    Jeremy, May 12, 2006
  12. Jeremy wrote:

    > I snipe all the time, and I find nothing offensive about it. Why
    > should I tip off anyone that I happen to be interested in a given
    > item? Why should I engage in bidding wars with some fools that would
    > not even have had any interest in bidding on the item, save for the
    > fact that they saw that others were bidding on it?

    Unfortunately, you are just as wrong as the person that doesn't snipe and,
    like him, paid too much for the item. The sad fact that people think they
    have secured a bargain and really didn't. A prime example of the stupidity
    that is called participating in bidding in auctions that go full term.

    This nimrod paid $425 for the same exact new flash that B&H sells for
    $314.95 every day of the week.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ7617234732QQZ107933QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Looking at the "high bidder's" feedback he is legit and will pay for the
    auction. I'm so glad that eBay is so alive with these lazy morons. I wish
    that I could get a 100% ratio of these morons.

    > Sniping does NOT make for an nonlevel playing field, because anyone
    > may enter a proxy bid, with their best price, and the highest bid
    > wins in the end. So, if someone wants the item, and is willing to be
    > the high bidder, no amount of sniping can unseat his position.

    You got it! Again, the problem is you overpaid for the item by bidding in
    auctions that run full term.

    > The mere fact that we snipers choose to exercise our right to not tip
    > our hands, by waiting to bid until the last moments of auctions,
    > hurts no one, except the fools that bid everything up because they
    > are in bidding frenzies.

    It's totally irrelevant and foolishness since the only way to secure great
    deals on eBay is to seek out newly listed improperly priced 'Buy It Now'
    auctions. Yes, this is the only way!

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 12, 2006
  13. Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> writes:

    > Jeremy wrote:
    >
    > > I snipe all the time, and I find nothing offensive about it. Why
    > > should I tip off anyone that I happen to be interested in a given
    > > item? Why should I engage in bidding wars with some fools that would
    > > not even have had any interest in bidding on the item, save for the
    > > fact that they saw that others were bidding on it?

    > Unfortunately, you are just as wrong as the person that doesn't snipe and,
    > like him, paid too much for the item. The sad fact that people think they
    > have secured a bargain and really didn't. A prime example of the stupidity
    > that is called participating in bidding in auctions that go full term.
    >
    > This nimrod paid $425 for the same exact new flash that B&H sells for
    > $314.95 every day of the week.
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ7617234732QQZ107933QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >
    > Looking at the "high bidder's" feedback he is legit and will pay for the
    > auction. I'm so glad that eBay is so alive with these lazy morons. I wish
    > that I could get a 100% ratio of these morons.

    Sure, there are idiots out there. I try to remember them when I'm
    selling something :).

    I got what I think are good prices on the last several things I bought
    on ebay. They're in the lower half of the price-range the same object
    sold for in other auctions, and well under the used prices at B&H or
    KEH.

    I believe that my secret is that I'm not an idiot :).

    (I can't fully pin down the reasons I and other people have at various
    times had such negative emotional reactions to sniping.
    Intellectually, as I explained in my first message mentioning it, it
    makes sense as a way to deal with ebay bidding. An auction ending at
    a set time after a week is a very different creature from an auction
    ending when nobody bids, and which expects participants to be paying
    attention throughout the course of the auction, and the game-theoretic
    analysis is very different.)
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 12, 2006
  14. David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > Sure, there are idiots out there. I try to remember them when I'm
    > selling something :).

    Absolutely! Since I'm primarily a seller I love these people. As a buyer
    they irk the crap out of me. Plus, this is another reason why we can't get
    our 105mm VR lenses and other highly sought after Nikon items. While there
    are people like this that want to overpay we will all suffer.

    > I got what I think are good prices on the last several things I bought
    > on ebay. They're in the lower half of the price-range the same object
    > sold for in other auctions, and well under the used prices at B&H or
    > KEH.

    The secret to getting great deals on eBay is to know how to research your
    purchase. Once you learn how to research you will find in most cases that
    eBay isn't an option. I missed a Nikon R1C1 for $425 not to long ago that
    was reasonably priced with a BIN. You just have to be quick.

    > I believe that my secret is that I'm not an idiot :).

    It's all in the research and knowing what to pay and not deviating from the
    mark by a penny.

    > (I can't fully pin down the reasons I and other people have at various
    > times had such negative emotional reactions to sniping.
    > Intellectually, as I explained in my first message mentioning it, it
    > makes sense as a way to deal with ebay bidding. An auction ending at
    > a set time after a week is a very different creature from an auction
    > ending when nobody bids, and which expects participants to be paying
    > attention throughout the course of the auction, and the game-theoretic
    > analysis is very different.)

    Sniping really doesn't bother me since these people are more worried about
    participating in the auction instead of looking for deals. I'll stick with
    newly listed improperly priced 'BIN' auctions and let the bidding to others.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 12, 2006
  15. Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >Jeremy wrote:
    >
    >> I snipe all the time, and I find nothing offensive about it. Why
    >> should I tip off anyone that I happen to be interested in a given
    >> item? Why should I engage in bidding wars with some fools that would
    >> not even have had any interest in bidding on the item, save for the
    >> fact that they saw that others were bidding on it?

    >Unfortunately, you are just as wrong as the person that doesn't snipe and,
    >like him, paid too much for the item. The sad fact that people think they
    >have secured a bargain and really didn't. A prime example of the stupidity
    >that is called participating in bidding in auctions that go full term.

    We've already seen that you don't have a clue when it comes to eBay.

    Logically, not knowing what he is paying or buying either one,
    you cannot know if he is getting bargains or not.

    >This nimrod paid $425 for the same exact new flash that B&H sells for
    >$314.95 every day of the week.
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ7617234732QQZ107933QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    The fact that someone somewhere is paying too much does not mean that
    anyone in particular anywhere is doing the same.

    Your logic is not valid.

    >Looking at the "high bidder's" feedback he is legit and will pay for the
    >auction. I'm so glad that eBay is so alive with these lazy morons. I wish
    >that I could get a 100% ratio of these morons.

    So you are admitting that your statement above is logically
    invalidated by your own experience...

    >> Sniping does NOT make for an nonlevel playing field, because anyone
    >> may enter a proxy bid, with their best price, and the highest bid
    >> wins in the end. So, if someone wants the item, and is willing to be
    >> the high bidder, no amount of sniping can unseat his position.

    >You got it! Again, the problem is you overpaid for the item by bidding in
    >auctions that run full term.

    How do you know that? (You don't.)

    >> The mere fact that we snipers choose to exercise our right to not tip
    >> our hands, by waiting to bid until the last moments of auctions,
    >> hurts no one, except the fools that bid everything up because they
    >> are in bidding frenzies.

    >It's totally irrelevant and foolishness since the only way to secure great
    >deals on eBay is to seek out newly listed improperly priced 'Buy It Now'
    >auctions. Yes, this is the only way!

    That is purely horse pucky from one sick old mare.

    First, you might wait for *years* to ever see some given item of
    interest show up with a Buy It Now price that is even
    reasonable, much less a bargain.

    Second, for common items there are cycles in prices paid via
    bidding, and there are *often* far better bargains for items
    that go full term that can ever be found looking for errored
    listings with Buy It Now.

    Note that the precise error you are making is that while it is
    possible on any given day to find *some* bargain that is a
    mistaken BIN listing, you cannot transfer that hit ratio to be
    used by someone who is looking for a single specific item.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, May 13, 2006
  16. Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    >Sniping really doesn't bother me since these people are more worried about
    >participating in the auction instead of looking for deals. I'll stick with

    Wrong. They are buying a particular item, and are not interested in just
    *anything* that is a "bargain".

    >newly listed improperly priced 'BIN' auctions and let the bidding to others.

    But you don't care what it is. Most people do.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, May 13, 2006
  17. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Fri, 12 May 2006 18:40:42 -0400, Rita Ä Berkowitz <> wrote:

    >David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    >> Sure, there are idiots out there. I try to remember them when I'm
    >> selling something :).

    >Absolutely! Since I'm primarily a seller I love these people. As a buyer
    >they irk the crap out of me. Plus, this is another reason why we can't get
    >our 105mm VR lenses and other highly sought after Nikon items. While there
    >are people like this that want to overpay we will all suffer.

    A thing is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.
    If you can't find that nikon anywhere for 150% what you think the
    value is, then you probably have 33% too low an opinion of it's worth.
    AZ Nomad, May 13, 2006
  18. TheNewsGuy(Mike), May 13, 2006
  19. Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    >> Unfortunately, you are just as wrong as the person that doesn't
    >> snipe and, like him, paid too much for the item. The sad fact that
    >> people think they have secured a bargain and really didn't. A prime
    >> example of the stupidity that is called participating in bidding in
    >> auctions that go full term.

    > We've already seen that you don't have a clue when it comes to eBay.

    Considering the fact that I don't want to be one of the mindless sheep and
    idiots that *enjoy* overpaying you are 100% correct that I don't have a clue
    about eBay by your definition.

    > Logically, not knowing what he is paying or buying either one,
    > you cannot know if he is getting bargains or not.

    Statistics my dear boy, statistics. I've been there and seen the "trends"
    throughout the years to know that he did pay too much with his strategy.
    Hey, if he's patting himself on the back thinking he got a bargain.....

    > The fact that someone somewhere is paying too much does not mean that
    > anyone in particular anywhere is doing the same.

    Again, statistics.

    > Your logic is not valid.

    How so? Prove me wrong.

    >> Looking at the "high bidder's" feedback he is legit and will pay for
    >> the auction. I'm so glad that eBay is so alive with these lazy
    >> morons. I wish that I could get a 100% ratio of these morons.

    > So you are admitting that your statement above is logically
    > invalidated by your own experience...

    No, I'm saying as a *SELLER* I love these clueless idiots that exceed every
    terrestrial and celestial boundary of stupidity. The asshole that paid $425
    for an SB800 clearly validates why eBay is a sellers market. Had this moron
    checked B&H's site they would have gotten a better deal and had the flash on
    their camera before that auction ended.

    >> You got it! Again, the problem is you overpaid for the item by
    >> bidding in auctions that run full term.

    > How do you know that? (You don't.)

    Again statistics.

    >> It's totally irrelevant and foolishness since the only way to secure
    >> great deals on eBay is to seek out newly listed improperly priced
    >> 'Buy It Now' auctions. Yes, this is the only way!

    > That is purely horse pucky from one sick old mare.

    Prove it wrong. You have the resources at your disposal via eBay's search
    engine as well as Google/Froogle. Study the completed auctions for the item
    you are interested in and maybe you would learn something.

    > First, you might wait for *years* to ever see some given item of
    > interest show up with a Buy It Now price that is even
    > reasonable, much less a bargain.

    Bullshit! You talk like you haven't been on eBay long enough to know how it
    works?

    > Second, for common items there are cycles in prices paid via
    > bidding, and there are *often* far better bargains for items
    > that go full term that can ever be found looking for errored
    > listings with Buy It Now.

    Again, clueless at best. There are many reasons why people price items the
    way they do. Most of it is pure ignorance and laziness to do 30-seconds of
    research needed to find out what they have. I recently bought an item for
    $10 and flipped it for $675. I *NEVER* would have gotten the item if it
    went full term.

    > Note that the precise error you are making is that while it is
    > possible on any given day to find *some* bargain that is a
    > mistaken BIN listing, you cannot transfer that hit ratio to be
    > used by someone who is looking for a single specific item.

    Again, nonsense. This is so far from reality that it's not even worth
    giving you a detailed explanation of why it doesn't work that way. Pick any
    item (your choice) you want to buy and bookmark it. Check it regularly and
    see where it goes. Auctions that go full term generally close with
    ridiculously high prices that when proper research is done the buyer could
    have bought a new item instead of a used on for the same money or less.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 13, 2006
  20. Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    >> Sniping really doesn't bother me since these people are more worried
    >> about participating in the auction instead of looking for deals.
    >> I'll stick with

    > Wrong. They are buying a particular item, and are not interested in
    > just *anything* that is a "bargain".

    I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I do seek out *SPECIFIC* items using this
    strategy. With eBay having active auctions in the millions at any given
    time it would be foolish to do otherwise.

    >> newly listed improperly priced 'BIN' auctions and let the bidding to
    >> others.

    > But you don't care what it is. Most people do.

    Sure I care. Why wouldn't I? I buy specific items for my personal needs
    and hobbies or I buy them to flip for profit.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 13, 2006