    david collin Guest

    every time i go to buy something onlinethe message come,s up this page
    cannot be displayed.ant clues.

    david collin, Jul 30, 2005

  2. david collin

    DJSim Guest

    Have you tried any other websites such as Google etc. to see if your
    internet connection is working?

    DJSim, Jul 30, 2005

  3. david collin wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > every time i go to buy something onlinethe message come,s up this
    > page cannot be displayed.ant clues.

    What browser are you using? Is it pages that begin "https://....." that
    you can't access? Check your encryption level.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    May 19 vomitous missionaries breed porcupines on your clean bed.

    The Old Sourdough, Jul 30, 2005
  4. david collin

    Vanguard Guest

    > every time i go to buy something onlinethe message come,s up this page
    > cannot be displayed.ant clues.

    So it isn't just with eBay as you indicated by your Subject header. How
    do you know if you are actually connected? Have you tried pinging a
    site, like "ping www.yahoo.com"? If you have broadband cable or DSL,
    did you check your modem is powered on?

    Vanguard, Jul 30, 2005
  5. david collin

    Tony Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "david collin" <> wrote in message
    >> every time i go to buy something onlinethe message come,s up this page
    >> cannot be displayed.ant clues.

    > So it isn't just with eBay as you indicated by your Subject header. How
    > do you know if you are actually connected? Have you tried pinging a site,
    > like "ping www.yahoo.com"? If you have broadband cable or DSL, did you
    > check your modem is powered on?

    I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he is
    connected and his modem is powered on?

    Tony, Jul 30, 2005
  6. david collin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >> "david collin" <> wrote in message
    >>> every time i go to buy something onlinethe message come,s up this page
    >>> cannot be displayed.ant clues.

    >> So it isn't just with eBay as you indicated by your Subject header. How
    >> do you know if you are actually connected? Have you tried pinging a
    >> site, like "ping www.yahoo.com"? If you have broadband cable or DSL, did
    >> you check your modem is powered on?

    > I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he is
    > connected and his modem is powered on?

    Well, he could be using a different computer...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 30, 2005
  7. Tony wrote:

    > I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he is
    > connected and his modem is powered on?

    Since you ask: I don't know -- *would* you think that?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 30, 2005
  8. david collin

    Vanguard Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >> "david collin" <> wrote in message
    >>> every time i go to buy something onlinethe message come,s up this
    >>> page
    >>> cannot be displayed.ant clues.

    >> So it isn't just with eBay as you indicated by your Subject header.
    >> How do you know if you are actually connected? Have you tried
    >> pinging a site, like "ping www.yahoo.com"? If you have broadband
    >> cable or DSL, did you check your modem is powered on?

    > I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he is
    > connected and his modem is powered on?

    I have 3 computers at home. Losing connectivity on one doesn't mean the
    others also die unless a common component shared amongst them all had
    died. I also can visit newsgroups from work. I suppose I could also
    hit the library or an Internet cafe to get at newsgroups. What, you've
    never seen someone post a message saying they have no connectivity
    (obviously for a host different than the one which they used to submit
    their post)?

    Considering the dearth of information provided by the OP, there isn't
    much point in providing a wealth of information but just some basic
    testing first, like being able to ping somewhere.

    For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

    Vanguard, Jul 31, 2005
  9. david collin

    ellis_jay Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >>> "david collin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> So it isn't just with eBay as you indicated by your Subject header.
    >>> How do you know if you are actually connected? Have you tried
    >>> pinging a site, like "ping www.yahoo.com"? If you have broadband
    >>> cable or DSL, did you check your modem is powered on?

    >> I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he
    >> is connected and his modem is powered on?

    > I have 3 computers at home. Losing connectivity on one doesn't mean
    > the others also die unless a common component shared amongst them all
    > had died. I also can visit newsgroups from work.

    > I suppose I could
    > also hit the library

    He is posting from ntlworld tinternet. All the libraries I have used don't
    have btinternet or any other newsgroup enabled ISP's that allows for
    downloading and subscribing to newsgroups. The only method I have run
    across from a library is the method of posting to Google groups. But, just
    because that is what I have found on my side of the planet does not mean, of
    course, that it holds true for everyone everywhere.

    > or an Internet cafe to get at newsgroups. What,
    > you've never seen someone post a message saying they have no
    > connectivity (obviously for a host different than the one which they
    > used to submit their post)?
    >
    > Considering the dearth of information provided by the OP, there isn't
    > much point in providing a wealth of information but just some basic
    > testing first, like being able to ping somewhere.

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Aug 1, 2005
  10. david collin

    ellis_jay Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >>> "david collin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> So it isn't just with eBay as you indicated by your Subject header.
    >>> How do you know if you are actually connected? Have you tried
    >>> pinging a site, like "ping www.yahoo.com"? If you have broadband
    >>> cable or DSL, did you check your modem is powered on?

    >> I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he
    >> is connected and his modem is powered on?

    > I have 3 computers at home. Losing connectivity on one doesn't mean
    > the others also die unless a common component shared amongst them all
    > had died. I also can visit newsgroups from work. I suppose I could
    > also hit the library or an Internet cafe to get at newsgroups. What,
    > you've never seen someone post a message saying they have no
    > connectivity (obviously for a host different than the one which they
    > used to submit their post)?
    >
    > Considering the dearth of information provided by the OP, there isn't
    > much point in providing a wealth of information but just some basic
    > testing first, like being able to ping somewhere.

    Firewall problem?

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Aug 1, 2005
  11. david collin

    Vanguard Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    > Vanguard wrote:
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Vanguard" <> wrote in message

    >>> I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he
    >>> is connected and his modem is powered on?

    >> I have 3 computers at home. Losing connectivity on one doesn't mean
    >> the others also die unless a common component shared amongst them all
    >> had died. I also can visit newsgroups from work.

    >> I suppose I could
    >> also hit the library

    > He is posting from ntlworld tinternet. All the libraries I have used
    > don't
    > have btinternet or any other newsgroup enabled ISP's that allows for
    > downloading and subscribing to newsgroups. The only method I have run
    > across from a library is the method of posting to Google groups. But,
    > just
    > because that is what I have found on my side of the planet does not
    > mean, of
    > course, that it holds true for everyone everywhere.

    Whether you can connect from an off-domain host to your NNTP service
    depends on the service. Comcast contracts their NNTP service from
    Giganews, but when logging on using your Comcast account you also need
    to have an IP address that is on the Comcast domain. I know. I've
    tried to use the Giganews-contracted Comcast NNTP service for my home
    account while at work, and they told me it won't work because my work's
    IP address is not on the Comcast domain. However, a non-ISP NNTP
    service will probably let you connect regardless of your IP address. I
    suspect Teranew would be like that.

    You and I who are on Comcast and familiar with the libraries and
    Internet cafes in the USA but only in our small realms within that
    county might not be familiar with what the OP has available over in UK
    regarding their libraries and their policies. Also, I only used
    libraries and Internet cafes as an example. A friend's house, their
    parent's or kid's computer, a neighbor's computer, from work, and lots
    of other means are available to gain Internet access to an NNTP server.
    I wasn't going to list all the possibilities and extrapolation by
    example was assumed.

    Vanguard, Aug 3, 2005
  12. david collin

    Vanguard Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    > Vanguard wrote:
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Vanguard" <> wrote in message

    >>> I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he
    >>> is connected and his modem is powered on?

    >> I have 3 computers at home. Losing connectivity on one doesn't mean
    >> the others also die unless a common component shared amongst them all
    >> had died. I also can visit newsgroups from work. I suppose I could
    >> also hit the library or an Internet cafe to get at newsgroups. What,
    >> you've never seen someone post a message saying they have no
    >> connectivity (obviously for a host different than the one which they
    >> used to submit their post)?
    >>
    >> Considering the dearth of information provided by the OP, there isn't
    >> much point in providing a wealth of information but just some basic
    >> testing first, like being able to ping somewhere.

    > Firewall problem?

    Could be but it would have to be protocol specific (for just HTTP) if my
    suggestion of pinging worked okay. Could be a hosts file problem, too,
    where the ebay domain is listed to point somewhere else, like localhost,
    but a ping to that same domain would show a failure. However, it looks
    like ebay won't respond to pings, so just pinging anywhere would show
    *some* connectivity as a start.

    3-1/2 days since the OP posted. Getting likely we'll never hear from
    the OP regarding this vaguely described problem, or they solved the
    problem and have no urge to return.

    For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

    Vanguard, Aug 3, 2005