Buying new digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jake29, Jun 29, 2013.

  1. Jake29

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 16:55:50 +0100, David Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >On 01/07/2013 15:48, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >[]
    >> If she owned a point-and-shoot using rechargeable AAs, and left the
    >> batteries at home in the charger, she could have stopped in any store
    >> and purchased regular AAs.

    >I'm surprised that non of the "consumer rights" folk hasn't made a big
    >fuss about having standard Li-ion batteries, to avoid the need for each
    >manufacturer and every camera to have its own proprietary battery type....

    If I buy a new Nikon DSLR, it's quite probable that the spare
    batteries that I now own for my current Nikon, and the charger, will
    not work with the new camera. I assume Canon owners face the same
    problem.

    Worse, though, is the printer ink cartridge situation. If your
    printer goes out, it is uneconomical to have it fixed. Any ink
    cartridges you have will not be usable in your new printer even if
    it's the same brand.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jul 1, 2013

  2. Jake29

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 11:15:35 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-07-01 10:46:51 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:

    >>> trending? you're behind the times. the itunes store is the #1 music
    >>> retailer and has been for quite some time.

    >> Trends are continuing movements. The trend from transportation
    >> primarily by horse and carriage to automobile has pretty much ended,
    >> but more recent changes continue as a trend.

    >>> what's the point in that? who is going to steal a battery from a camera
    >>> behind the counter? that just adds an unnecessary delay.

    >> The reason is not to prevent theft of batteries. The reason is to
    >> devote just a few batteries to demonstration use and to be able to
    >> keep those batteries fully-charged. Six demo cameras require six
    >> batteries in use, but this store's system requires fewer than six and
    >> they can be kept fully-charged. You pointed out in another post that
    >> big box store display units often have flat batteries. The store
    >> doesn't use a tether system, so the cameras have to be
    >> battery-powered.

    >I was in Target on Friday, and all their demo/display cameras were in
    >anti-theft holders, on retractable cables and hooked up to a power
    >supply system.
    >...and they had a good 60+ cameras to choose from.

    An excellent place to check for fit and feel of a p&s and see how easy
    the menus are to go through. If the person wants information not
    available at Target, the selection can be reduced to just a couple of
    cameras and then go to the web reviews or a camera store.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jul 1, 2013

  3. On 7/1/2013 11:27 AM, Jake29 wrote:

    >> Point-and-shoots can be used for panoramas. It's software that
    >> creates a panorama using a point and shoot*, and Elements will do
    >> that. Elements would be worth having for other purposes. A tripod or
    >> monopod is almost essential for a panorama. A panorama is better than
    >> a wide angle shot with a point and shoot because the widest setting
    >> can (not will) produce distortion at the edges. Shoot the panorama
    >> images in portrait, not landscape.

    > Thanks. That's good info about the panorama option, and about shooting
    > panorama images in portrait rather than landscape. I had never tried
    > panorama options before but have seen my niece do that a few times for
    > photos at an ocean resort.

    I've taken panoramas with P&S cameras without a tripod. When combining
    with PS Elements you may lose a little at the edges because of small
    deviations from verticality but it does not seem to matter.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Jul 1, 2013
  4. On 7/1/2013 3:46 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <kqo26i$gal$>, Jake29
    > says...
    >> Thanks. I'll definitely look for that about the viewfinder. I know exactly
    >> what you mean about keeping the camera stable and being able to see what I
    >> am trying to photograph on a sunny day without a viewfinder. I do get that
    >> the viewfinder feature may just be in higher end cameras but I'll look for
    >> that anyway and see what's out there.

    > The problem is that viewfinders in cheap P&S cameras are
    > horrible, especially if the camera has some zoom range.
    > It's better to get a camera with a good LCD screen and
    > no viewfinder.

    An optical viewfinder beats guessing at just what you are photographing
    in bright light.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Jul 1, 2013
  5. Jake29

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> The behind-the-counter cameras are there without batteries. There are
    > >> no on-counter cameras. When the customer is handed a display camera,
    > >> the battery is added. Sometimes there is a delay because the needed
    > >> batteries are in use by another clerk, but the potential buyer of a
    > >> higher-end DSLR is not put off by this.

    > >what's the point in that? who is going to steal a battery from a camera
    > >behind the counter? that just adds an unnecessary delay.

    > The reason is not to prevent theft of batteries. The reason is to
    > devote just a few batteries to demonstration use and to be able to
    > keep those batteries fully-charged. Six demo cameras require six
    > batteries in use, but this store's system requires fewer than six and
    > they can be kept fully-charged. You pointed out in another post that
    > big box store display units often have flat batteries. The store
    > doesn't use a tether system, so the cameras have to be
    > battery-powered.

    theft by whom? if the cameras are behind the counter and only shown to
    customers by staff, then who exactly is going to steal a battery?

    > >anyway, those who are put off by that practice don't bother showing up
    > >in the first place.

    > What? If they don't show up in the first place, how would they know
    > about the practice? Great thinking there, nospam.

    maybe their friends told them of the stupid practices. or maybe they
    stopped in one day, saw what's going on and then left.

    as you said in the other thread, exact wording doesn't matter. except
    when all you do is want to argue.

    nospam, Jul 1, 2013
  6. Jake29

    nospam Guest

    In article <2013070111153513512-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > I was in Target on Friday, and all their demo/display cameras were in
    > anti-theft holders, on retractable cables and hooked up to a power
    > supply system.
    > ...and they had a good 60+ cameras to choose from.

    i was in best buy earlier today because it was next door to another
    store i was going to, and took a look at the camera section.

    they were on tethers, but i'd estimate about 20-25% were non-functional
    in one way or another, either missing batteries, no sd card and the
    camera refused to do much without one or some other issue. some had
    power cords, but most didn't.

    i know that some cameras can disable the card requirement but i wasn't
    there to shop for cameras so i didn't bother trying to figure out how.
    they should be set up that way already.

    nospam, Jul 1, 2013
  7. Jake29

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > An excellent place to check for fit and feel of a p&s and see how easy
    > the menus are to go through. If the person wants information not
    > available at Target, the selection can be reduced to just a couple of
    > cameras and then go to the web reviews or a camera store.

    once you know what to look for in the menus, maybe.

    that's where a camera store helps, they can explain how to do stuff,
    rather than a customer trying to guess their way through on their own.

    that's why i said go to a camera store first and see what's available,
    then go to a big box store and use what you have learned while not
    taking up a salesperson's time.

    nospam, Jul 1, 2013
  8. Jake29

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/1/2013 10:14 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> [...]
    >>> seem to move. Is it all smoke and mirrors?

    >> ritz camera stores were often busy too and look what happened there.
    >>
    >> even best buy is having troubles. every time i've been in a best buy
    >> there's always been a line at the registers, so how could they be in
    >> such financial difficulty?

    > Best Buy's problems stem from their inability to compete with online
    > sales because their store prices are higher than some online outfits
    > and the stores don't offer offsetting advantages to the buyer. Part
    > of this is due to their staff not being considered helpful to
    > customers.
    >
    > The camera store in my example does offer offsetting advantages: an
    > experienced and knowledgeable sales staff and a comprehensive
    > inventory of a wide range of camera equipment.
    >
    > Best Buy is also so diversified in their product line that a downturn
    > in one group of products can affect the numbers. They devote (at
    > least in the store in my area) a large amount of floorspace to music
    > and video, and that's a product line that is trending more and more to
    > online purchases. The camera store's floorspace is devoted to only
    > two markets: photography and hobbyists.
    >
    > Best Buy's problems are also due to stockholder's expectations of
    > return and growth. The privately-owned camera store needs to make no
    > decisions based on outsiders.
    >
    > Best Buy's problems are also attributable to their problems in their
    > non-US stores. The overseas market is not responding as well as the
    > domestic market.
    >
    > But, as an expert in everything to do with market share, you know all
    > this. I don't know why I'm bothering to tell you.
    >

    >> could it be there's more to it than seeing cashiers ring up items? why
    >> yes, it could.
    >>
    >>> They're losing sales of $100 point-and-shoots to the big box stores,
    >>> and that must be where the money is. Right? They shouldn't be
    >>> concentrating on $1,000 Gitzmo tripods when they could be selling a GE
    >>> point-and-shoot for $49.00. Right? They shouldn't be following this
    >>> DSLR fad thing, right?

    >> people buy online now.

    > Yes, they do. Also, people buy from brick and mortar stores. An
    > unqualified statement like yours means nothing.
    >
    >> do they offer anything beyond handing you a box? if not, it's soon to
    >> be curtain time. if they do, then more power to them. the only way
    >> stores will stay in business is to offer additional value over the
    >> internet sellers.
    >>
    >> the way you described it, with leaving the batteries out from the
    >> display cameras, is not a way to win customers. that's why i said they
    >> won't last long.

    > The behind-the-counter cameras are there without batteries. There are
    > no on-counter cameras. When the customer is handed a display camera,
    > the battery is added. Sometimes there is a delay because the needed
    > batteries are in use by another clerk, but the potential buyer of a

    You are understating Best Buy, inadequacies.
    Not long ago I went into one, ad stood looking at something, while two
    clerks were just BSing with each other. Just for the heck of it, I want
    to see how long it would take. In over twenty minutes five other
    potential customers were looking at similar items. Not one of those
    clerks bothered to even offer to try to help. On another occasion, I
    asked what the difference ws between two models,. the clerk started
    reading the label. In summary. poor management, terrible training. If
    there is a checkout line, it's because the have a slow checkout person,
    and that section too is understaffed.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jul 2, 2013
  9. Jake29

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 17:42:41 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <2013070111153513512-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    >Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I was in Target on Friday, and all their demo/display cameras were in
    >> anti-theft holders, on retractable cables and hooked up to a power
    >> supply system.
    >> ...and they had a good 60+ cameras to choose from.

    >i was in best buy earlier today because it was next door to another
    >store i was going to, and took a look at the camera section.
    >
    >they were on tethers, but i'd estimate about 20-25% were non-functional
    >in one way or another, either missing batteries, no sd card

    I don't recall ever seeing a display camera with a SD card. It's
    kinda pointless because the SD card preserves the image taken and
    would have to be formatted by the clerks after use. I don't think, if
    I ran the store, I'd want images preserved for the next customer to
    see. I wouldn't want some customer taking photographs of small kids
    in the store and leaving them around.

    An SD card in a demo camera in a big box store is inviting theft since
    they can be easily palmed. Why anyone would bother is beyond me, but
    people do strange things.

    >and the
    >camera refused to do much without one or some other issue. some had
    >power cords, but most didn't.

    It doesn't surprise me that not all stores do things right. Find the
    Duck's Target. They seem to know how to do things right. If I'm in
    the area, I'll check the local Best Buy. That's just one store as an
    example, though.

    >i know that some cameras can disable the card requirement but i wasn't
    >there to shop for cameras so i didn't bother trying to figure out how.
    >they should be set up that way already.

    I think some will take a photograph and retain it with in-camera
    memory, but I'm not sure. The last time I shopped for a p&s I brought
    my own SD card.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jul 2, 2013
  10. Jake29

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 17:42:38 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >what's the point in that? who is going to steal a battery from a camera
    >> >behind the counter? that just adds an unnecessary delay.

    >> The reason is not to prevent theft of batteries. The reason is to
    >> devote just a few batteries to demonstration use and to be able to
    >> keep those batteries fully-charged. Six demo cameras require six
    >> batteries in use, but this store's system requires fewer than six and
    >> they can be kept fully-charged. You pointed out in another post that
    >> big box store display units often have flat batteries. The store
    >> doesn't use a tether system, so the cameras have to be
    >> battery-powered.

    >theft by whom? if the cameras are behind the counter and only shown to
    >customers by staff, then who exactly is going to steal a battery?

    What? I just said it *isn't* about theft.

    >> >anyway, those who are put off by that practice don't bother showing up
    >> >in the first place.

    >> What? If they don't show up in the first place, how would they know
    >> about the practice? Great thinking there, nospam.

    >maybe their friends told them of the stupid practices. or maybe they
    >stopped in one day,

    That's showing up in the first place.

    Tony Cooper, Jul 2, 2013
  11. Jake29

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 20:16:16 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> no on-counter cameras. When the customer is handed a display camera,
    >> the battery is added. Sometimes there is a delay because the needed
    >> batteries are in use by another clerk, but the potential buyer of a
    >> higher-end DSLR is not put off by this.
    >>

    >You are understating Best Buy, inadequacies.
    >Not long ago I went into one, ad stood looking at something, while two
    >clerks were just BSing with each other. Just for the heck of it, I want
    >to see how long it would take. In over twenty minutes five other
    >potential customers were looking at similar items. Not one of those
    >clerks bothered to even offer to try to help. On another occasion, I
    >asked what the difference ws between two models,. the clerk started
    >reading the label. In summary. poor management, terrible training. If
    >there is a checkout line, it's because the have a slow checkout person,

    It must be store-dependent and how the manager manages. The last time
    I was in Best Buy was to look at iPads. The clerk was knowledgeable
    and helpful. My previous visit to the same store was to look at
    laptops. The clerk was knowledgeable and helpful, but a couple of
    pushy customers interrupted him to ask questions when he was dealing
    with me.

    I also went to the Apple store in the mall to look at iPads. The help
    there was like car salesmen waiting to pounce. I was barely in the
    door when clerks approached me. The clerk I worked with was quite
    knowledgeable, but kept showing me things his iPhone could do and how
    those apps(?) could be downloaded for the iPad. He spent far too much
    time (for me) in going on about things I could do that I had no
    interest in doing. He was knowledgeable, but not much of a listener.
    I kept telling him I had no interest in downloading music or movies,
    but he insisted on going through a whole spiel on it.

    We're all different, and I don't like to be smothered by a sales
    clerk. Some may like that extra service, but I don't.

    I bought the iPad from Best Buy. The only problem I had with the
    clerk was that he pushed too hard for the extra warranty policy or
    whatever it is called.

    That's just one Best Buy. There are several in town, and I don't know
    what things are like in them. I've only been in the one near me.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jul 2, 2013
  12. Jake29

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:44:08 -0600, Wally <> wrote:
    : On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:41:36 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    :
    : >Something I was reminded of the other day when I was charging my batteries for
    : >a shoot: All my AAs (I keep about 50 in play) needed at least some charging
    : >time, even if they hadn't been used since their last charge. But three
    : >proprietary camera batteries that had been sitting outside the camera showed
    : >full charge after less than 15 seconds on the charger. Pretty clearly, those
    : >batteries hold a charge better than the AAs do.
    :
    : If they showed a full charge after 15 sec, then either they were still
    : fully charged, or they have deteriorated to the point they won't hold
    : a charge for long.

    They were still fully charged. Or nearly enough to fool the charger.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 2, 2013
  13. Jake29

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 10:48:47 -0400, Tony Cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:19:00 -0400, "Jake29" <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >Robert Coe wrote:
    : >> On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:54:25 -0400, Tony Cooper
    : >> <> wrote:
    : >>> On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:04:52 -0400, "Jake29" <>
    : >>> wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> I lost the digital camera that I had and I need to buy a new one.
    : >>>> ...
    : >>>>
    : >>>> So, I am looking for suggestions of a new point-and-shoot digital
    : >>>> camera. I definitely don't want one that uses AA batteries
    : >>>> (rechargeable or not) as many of them seem to do these days -- I
    : >>>> want one with a rechargeable Li-Ion battery.
    : >
    : >>> I disagree with your preference about AA batteries, but it's your
    : >>> camera and your money. My in-the-car point-and-shoot (my regular
    : >>> camera is a Nikon DSLR) uses rechargeable AA batteries and shoots RAW
    : >>> and has manual settings. I like the idea that if I haven't used it
    : >>> for a while, and the batteries are flat, I can buy regular AA
    : >>> batteries at any store and use them. If my Nikon Li-Ion battery goes
    : >>> flat, I have to go home to charge it. (Well, *I* don't, but I have
    : >>> three batteries and always carry charged spares.)
    : >
    : >> Something I was reminded of the other day when I was charging my
    : >> batteries for a shoot: All my AAs (I keep about 50 in play) needed at
    : >> least some charging time, even if they hadn't been used since their
    : >> last charge. But three proprietary camera batteries that had been
    : >> sitting outside the camera showed full charge after less than 15
    : >> seconds on the charger. Pretty clearly, those batteries hold a charge
    : >> better than the AAs do.
    : >
    : >Although I have limited experience with this, that is the experience that I
    : >had in the past when I first bought digital cameras (before the two that I
    : >mentioned in my original post). My experience was that the rechargeable AA
    : >batteries lasted only a very short time before needing to be recharged, and
    : >any batteries that I had fully charged were basically dead by the time I got
    : >around to trying to take a picture. At first, I thought the problem was the
    : >camera technology may have been such that the cameras used up way too much
    : >battery power. But, that didn't explain why the spare fully charged AA
    : >batteries that I kept separately in the camera case were dead when I got
    : >around to putting them in the camera. Meanwhile, I started to notice that
    : >my then little-kid niece and nephew who were using Kodak digital cameras
    : >could take picture after picture seemingly forever without the batteries
    : >going dead. That's when I switched to Kodak cameras which I discovered had
    : >with Li-Ion batteries.
    : >
    : >After I switched to cameras with the Li-Ion batteries, I noticed that when I
    : >charged them and didn't use them for a long time, and then went to use them,
    : >they were still charged and ready to use.
    : >
    : >So, I guess that is where I developed a prejudice against the AA
    : >rechargeable batteries.
    : >
    :
    : I understand staying in your comfort zone, and have no desire to talk
    : you into AAs. I suggest only that you don't let this factor be a
    : deal-breaker.
    :
    : I am normally a DSLR user, but keep a point-and-shoot in my center
    : console at all times for those occasions where I need to make a very
    : quick grab shot or am without my DSLR. I can't remember when I used
    : it last, but I checked before posting this and the battery indicator
    : is at 100% (rechargeables). That's keeping a camera in a hot car in
    : Florida weather.
    :
    : My grandson (8 years-old) made the Babe Ruth League All-Star team
    : after the regular season. They played in a town 2 hours from here in
    : the state championship qualification round. One of the mothers
    : brought her new Nikon DSLR to the game, but left her battery in the
    : charger at home. My spare Nikon batteries didn't fit her camera, so I
    : loaned her my second body and she used her own SD card.
    :
    : If she owned a point-and-shoot using rechargeable AAs, and left the
    : batteries at home in the charger, she could have stopped in any store
    : and purchased regular AAs.

    She bought a Nikon DSLR and only ONE battery for it??

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 2, 2013
  14. Jake29

    Jake29 Guest

    "Jake29" <> wrote in message
    >I lost the digital camera that I had and I need to buy a new one.
    >
    > So, I am looking for suggestions of a new point-and-shoot digital camera.
    > > I am looking for any suggestions that people here may have regarding

    > which brand and model camera to buy.

    Thanks again to everyone for all of the good information.

    Today, I went to Best Buy and looked at their cameras. They had a lot to
    choose from, and while they all were on security tethers, almost every one
    was connected to power so I got to try as many of them as I wanted without
    any problems or hassles. I tried the menu options, checked out the zooms,
    looked for buttons like one-button video recording, etc.

    I had tried this once or twice before in a local rather disorganized and
    dumpy Wal-Mart store and didn't have the same experience. Most, if not all,
    of their cameras couldn't be turned on etc. Now I know to choose the right
    type of store to check out the cameras. After reading some of the posts
    here, I'll also make sure I check out the Target store near me to see what
    they have.

    Maybe it was the fact that I was armed with a lot of good information before
    today's visit to Best Buy, but I really felt like it was a worthwhile trip.
    I got to check out the Canon SX500 that someone mentioned is on sale (it is)
    and I thought it had a lot of excellent features that I would want. It was
    a lot bigger and more bulky than I expected and may be too big for what I
    want -- but I did like it. I also saw lots of smaller point-and-shoot
    cameras (Canon, Nikon, and others) that were less expensive than I thought
    they would be and that could do a lot of what I want for most uses.

    I have a hunch that I may end up buying two cameras rather than just one.
    I'm thinking that I may buy a low-cost point-and-shoot camera that I can
    easily carry around and use for everyday picture taking of rehab work etc.
    And, I may also buy a camera like the Canon SX500 that I can take to certain
    types of events etc. where I want to take better photos and videos with more
    options like a long zoom and/or wide angle or close-up photos etc. -- still
    not like a professional photographer would want and would take, but better
    than the easy-carry point-and-shoot camera could take.

    Jake29, Jul 2, 2013
  15. Jake29

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 13:52:22 -0400, Tony Cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 16:55:50 +0100, David Taylor
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >On 01/07/2013 15:48, Tony Cooper wrote:
    : >[]
    : >> If she owned a point-and-shoot using rechargeable AAs, and left the
    : >> batteries at home in the charger, she could have stopped in any store
    : >> and purchased regular AAs.
    : >
    : >I'm surprised that non of the "consumer rights" folk hasn't made a big
    : >fuss about having standard Li-ion batteries, to avoid the need for each
    : >manufacturer and every camera to have its own proprietary battery type....
    :
    : If I buy a new Nikon DSLR, it's quite probable that the spare
    : batteries that I now own for my current Nikon, and the charger, will
    : not work with the new camera. I assume Canon owners face the same
    : problem.

    Up to a point. The batteries used by my old G-5 P&S work in my 50D, although
    the ones made for the 50D are a bit more powerful. And I *think* the 5D3 uses
    the same batteries as my 7D's. But the batteries for Martha's T2i don't fit
    any of our other cameras. At least when Canon changes form factors, the new
    one usually seems to be better.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 2, 2013
  16. Jake29

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/1/2013 9:38 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> [...]

    > knowledgeable, but kept showing me things his iPhone could do and how
    > those apps(?) could be downloaded for the iPad. He spent far too much
    > time (for me) in going on about things I could do that I had no
    > interest in doing. He was knowledgeable, but not much of a listener.
    > I kept telling him I had no interest in downloading music or movies,
    > but he insisted on going through a whole spiel on it.
    >
    > We're all different, and I don't like to be smothered by a sales
    > clerk. Some may like that extra service, but I don't.
    >
    > I bought the iPad from Best Buy. The only problem I had with the
    > clerk was that he pushed too hard for the extra warranty policy or
    > whatever it is called.
    >
    > That's just one Best Buy. There are several in town, and I don't know
    > what things are like in them. I've only been in the one near me.

    You are right that individual stores may vary. However, certain
    departments will vary. When I was looking for a laptop, I found one
    knowledgeable person. Turned out that he was an hP rep, who advised me
    that the only machines that would do what I want was a custom built
    Lenovo, or Dell. Similarly at the Apple store, they advised me that no
    Apple monitor was suitable for my photography use. (The glossy screen
    tends to limit gradations in the darker tones.)
    However, my experience was not in the computer department. My daughter
    has told me that she was similarly ignored in a different Best Buy
    store. I blame management.
    At the present, Best Buy is running a promotion where you can get a free
    upgrade on a cell phone. They are hoping that the resulting increase in
    store traffic, will result in an increase in sales.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jul 2, 2013
  17. Jake29

    MaxD Guest

    On 6/29/2013 2:04 PM, Jake29 wrote:
    > I lost the digital camera that I had and I need to buy a new one.
    >
    > The one I had was a Kodak-something (I forget the model number), and the one
    > that I had before that was a Kodak EasyShare V1253. I lost the last one
    > and the V1253 died on me for some reason.
    >
    > Both cameras were point-and-shoot digital cameras. Both had fairly high
    > megapixels and a fairly high zoom. What I liked about both of them is that
    > they both had rechargeable Li-Ion batteries that lasted a long time on each
    > charge -- a feature that I definitely want.
    >
    > It looks like Kodak is out of the digital camera business, so apparently I
    > can't buy another Kodak digital camera. If I could, I would.
    >
    > So, I am looking for suggestions of a new point-and-shoot digital camera. I
    > definitely don't want one that uses AA batteries (rechargeable or not) as
    > many of them seem to do these days -- I want one with a rechargeable Li-Ion
    > battery.
    >
    > I like the plain flat version of digital cameras that I can just keep in my
    > pocket; not the bigger size cameras that are out there. I am expecting the
    > cost to be less that about $200. If it has the right battery type
    > (rechargeable Li-Ion), a fairly high megapixel rating, and a fairly high
    > optical zoom, that would be great.
    >
    > I don't do any fancy or professional picture taking -- mostly just people
    > and events that I go to (birthday parties, etc.). I do use a camera a lot
    > for taking photos of construction work in progress while rehabbing
    > properties that I own -- to record wiring, plumbing, etc. before the walls
    > are closed up etc.
    >
    > I am looking for any suggestions that people here may have regarding which
    > brand and model camera to buy.
    >
    > I will read all replies and will follow up here with more info etc. if
    > needed.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Neat little camera:

    http://tinyurl.com/or7n3bh

    I carry it as a second to my 60D.

    MaxD, Jul 2, 2013
  18. Jake29

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 22:04:47 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

> [...]
    >: is at 100% (rechargeables). That's keeping a camera in a hot car in
    >: Florida weather.
    >:
    >: My grandson (8 years-old) made the Babe Ruth League All-Star team
    >: after the regular season. They played in a town 2 hours from here in
    >: the state championship qualification round. One of the mothers
    >: brought her new Nikon DSLR to the game, but left her battery in the
    >: charger at home. My spare Nikon batteries didn't fit her camera, so I
    >: loaned her my second body and she used her own SD card.
    >:
    >: If she owned a point-and-shoot using rechargeable AAs, and left the
    >: batteries at home in the charger, she could have stopped in any store
    >: and purchased regular AAs.
    >
    >She bought a Nikon DSLR and only ONE battery for it??

    Yes. Most first-purchasers of DSLRs probably do. That is, if they
    buy it from a big box store. No one advises them to buy a spare or
    spares.

    Order that same camera from certain online places and you'll get a
    phone call bullying you into buying spare batteries, a filter, a lens
    cleaning kit, and other extras. All at exorbitant prices.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jul 2, 2013
  19. Jake29

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:07:18 -0400, "Jake29" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jake29" <> wrote in message
    >>I lost the digital camera that I had and I need to buy a new one.
    >>
    >> So, I am looking for suggestions of a new point-and-shoot digital camera.
    >> > I am looking for any suggestions that people here may have regarding

    >> which brand and model camera to buy.

    >Thanks again to everyone for all of the good information.
    >
    >Today, I went to Best Buy and looked at their cameras. They had a lot to
    >choose from, and while they all were on security tethers, almost every one
    >was connected to power so I got to try as many of them as I wanted without
    >any problems or hassles. I tried the menu options, checked out the zooms,
    >looked for buttons like one-button video recording, etc.
    >
    >I had tried this once or twice before in a local rather disorganized and
    >dumpy Wal-Mart store and didn't have the same experience. Most, if not all,
    >of their cameras couldn't be turned on etc. Now I know to choose the right
    >type of store to check out the cameras. After reading some of the posts
    >here, I'll also make sure I check out the Target store near me to see what
    >they have.
    >
    >Maybe it was the fact that I was armed with a lot of good information before
    >today's visit to Best Buy, but I really felt like it was a worthwhile trip.
    >I got to check out the Canon SX500 that someone mentioned is on sale (it is)
    >and I thought it had a lot of excellent features that I would want. It was
    >a lot bigger and more bulky than I expected and may be too big for what I
    >want -- but I did like it. I also saw lots of smaller point-and-shoot
    >cameras (Canon, Nikon, and others) that were less expensive than I thought
    >they would be and that could do a lot of what I want for most uses.
    >
    >I have a hunch that I may end up buying two cameras rather than just one.
    >I'm thinking that I may buy a low-cost point-and-shoot camera that I can
    >easily carry around and use for everyday picture taking of rehab work etc.
    >And, I may also buy a camera like the Canon SX500 that I can take to certain
    >types of events etc. where I want to take better photos and videos with more
    >options like a long zoom and/or wide angle or close-up photos etc. -- still
    >not like a professional photographer would want and would take, but better
    >than the easy-carry point-and-shoot camera could take.

    I'm glad it worked out for you.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jul 2, 2013
  20. Jake29

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 01/07/2013 22:04, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 7/1/2013 3:46 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> In article <kqo26i$gal$>, Jake29
    >> says...
    >>> Thanks. I'll definitely look for that about the viewfinder. I know
    >>> exactly
    >>> what you mean about keeping the camera stable and being able to see
    >>> what I
    >>> am trying to photograph on a sunny day without a viewfinder. I do
    >>> get that
    >>> the viewfinder feature may just be in higher end cameras but I'll
    >>> look for
    >>> that anyway and see what's out there.

    >> The problem is that viewfinders in cheap P&S cameras are
    >> horrible, especially if the camera has some zoom range.
    >> It's better to get a camera with a good LCD screen and
    >> no viewfinder.
    >>

    > An optical viewfinder beats guessing at just what you are photographing
    > in bright light.

    Only with an SLR. The parallax error of an optical viewfinder becomes a
    nuisance for close up or macro work and it is almost impossible to find
    a modern wide zoom range camera that implements an optical viewfinder.

    The latest generation of camera screens are bright enough to see in
    sunlight - the problem is that you can no longer hold them steady
    against your face like you would a conventional viewfinder based camera.

    Basically you have to shoot at a faster shutter speed to compensate for
    the less rigid support of the camera. A lot of P&S users or folk taking
    shots on mobile phones compromise image quality by waving the thing
    around and stabbing violently at the shutter release. Essentially all
    the things you should not do with any camera have become commonplace!

    Some tablets even seem designed to encourage thumb over lens syndrome.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 2, 2013