buying my first

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by padre, May 7, 2007.

  1. padre

    padre Guest

    Friends --

    I am trying to purchase my first DSLR

    There is a used Nikon D70 for $440 from a reputable dealer-- good deal
    or no?

    I draw and paint so I have an eye for composition -- in your opinions
    what is most important for that first investment?

    you may email me if you wish since I don't have time to read all the
    list

    thanks for your help in advance

    IN Christ

    pastor kelly james leary

    here after Rev. is fine

    thanks
    padre, May 7, 2007

  2. padre

    babaloo Guest

    I thought Christ preferred Canons?
    babaloo, May 7, 2007

  3. padre wrote:
    > Friends --
    >
    > I am trying to purchase my first DSLR
    >
    > There is a used Nikon D70 for $440 from a reputable dealer-- good deal
    > or no?
    >
    > I draw and paint so I have an eye for composition -- in your opinions
    > what is most important for that first investment?
    >
    > you may email me if you wish since I don't have time to read all the
    > list

    Friend-

    E-mail isn't done for a few reasons, one of which if someone hands you a
    line, well baited and all, in E-mail, there's no one around to debunk
    it. Some will say: You ask in usenet, you come back to usenet. Google
    itself has drawbacks, and the use of a real news client is encouraged.

    I have no idea re used prices in any part of the world, much less yours.
    But as to importance, how a camera feels in your hands, how it's laid
    out are about as important as they get in my book.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, May 7, 2007
  4. padre

    Ben Miller Guest

    On May 6, 6:52 pm, padre <> wrote:
    > Friends --
    >
    > I am trying to purchase my first DSLR
    >
    > There is a used Nikon D70 for $440 from a reputable dealer-- good deal
    > or no?
    >
    > I draw and paint so I have an eye for composition -- in your opinions
    > what is most important for that first investment?

    Drop the extra $150 and go for a new D40 - same 6.1 megapixel sensor,
    a kit 18-55mm lens and a 1G CFC.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/494364-REG/Nikon_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

    Enjoy,

    Ben
    Ben Miller, May 7, 2007
  5. padre

    Lee K Guest

    "Ben Miller" <> wrote in message
    > On May 6, 6:52 pm, padre <> wrote:
    >> Friends --
    >>
    >> I am trying to purchase my first DSLR
    >>
    >> There is a used Nikon D70 for $440 from a reputable dealer-- good deal
    >> or no?
    >>
    >> I draw and paint so I have an eye for composition -- in your opinions
    >> what is most important for that first investment?

    > Drop the extra $150 and go for a new D40 - same 6.1 megapixel sensor,
    > a kit 18-55mm lens and a 1G CFC.
    >
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/494364-REG/Nikon_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

    To clarify, the camera uses SD, not CFC. That ad describes that memory
    under 'Item includes' as "The Lexar 1GB Secure Digital (SD) Card - Twin Pack
    includes two 1GB standard speed SD cards". Not a bad deal at all.
    Lee K, May 7, 2007
  6. padre

    Ben Miller Guest

    On May 6, 7:51 pm, "Lee K" <> wrote:
    > "Ben Miller" <> wrote in message

    > > On May 6, 6:52 pm, padre <> wrote:
    > >> Friends --

    > >> I am trying to purchase my first DSLR

    > >> There is a used Nikon D70 for $440 from a reputable dealer-- good deal
    > >> or no?

    > >> I draw and paint so I have an eye for composition -- in your opinions
    > >> what is most important for that first investment?

    > > Drop the extra $150 and go for a new D40 - same 6.1 megapixel sensor,
    > > a kit 18-55mm lens and a 1G CFC.

    > >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/494364-REG/Nikon_D40_SLR_Digita...

    > To clarify, the camera uses SD, not CFC. That ad describes that memory
    > under 'Item includes' as "The Lexar 1GB Secure Digital (SD) Card - Twin Pack
    > includes two 1GB standard speed SD cards". Not a bad deal at all.- Hide quoted text -

    Mea culpa, that's right - I forgot that the new Nikon D80 and D40 are
    SD, not CF. Thanks for the clarification.
    Ben Miller, May 7, 2007
  7. padre

    frederick Guest

    Ben Miller wrote:
    > On May 6, 6:52 pm, padre <> wrote:
    >> Friends --
    >>
    >> I am trying to purchase my first DSLR
    >>
    >> There is a used Nikon D70 for $440 from a reputable dealer-- good deal
    >> or no?
    >>
    >> I draw and paint so I have an eye for composition -- in your opinions
    >> what is most important for that first investment?

    > Drop the extra $150 and go for a new D40 - same 6.1 megapixel sensor,
    > a kit 18-55mm lens and a 1G CFC.
    >
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/494364-REG/Nikon_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html
    >
    > Enjoy,
    >
    > Ben

    Don't do that casually.
    Research whether exposure bracketing, dedicated iso and white balance
    setting buttons, internal focus motor, and an LCD on top of the camera -
    visible in all lighting conditions might (or might not) be important to
    you. Also consider whether you may want to use a polarising filter, and
    whether having a "standard" zoom lens with a front element that rotates
    when the camera focuses might be annoying to you.
    If none of those things matter to you, then the D40 is probably fine.
    If they do, then perhaps think again. If you don't know, then try to
    find out before you make a decision.
    frederick, May 7, 2007
  8. padre

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-05-06 17:16:55 -0700, "babaloo" <> said:

    > I thought Christ preferred Canons?

    ROFL

    There was no generally accepted canon in Christ's day.

    God created scripture. Men created Canon.

    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor
    C J Campbell, May 7, 2007
  9. padre

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-05-06 16:52:11 -0700, padre <> said:

    > Friends --
    >
    > I am trying to purchase my first DSLR
    >
    > There is a used Nikon D70 for $440 from a reputable dealer-- good deal
    > or no?
    >
    > I draw and paint so I have an eye for composition -- in your opinions
    > what is most important for that first investment?
    >
    > you may email me if you wish since I don't have time to read all the
    > list
    >
    > thanks for your help in advance
    >
    > IN Christ
    >
    > pastor kelly james leary
    >
    > here after Rev. is fine
    >
    > thanks

    I still use my D70 even though I now have a D200. It is a fine camera.
    $440 is about right if it comes with the 18-70mm lens.

    The D40 is also a reasonable option.

    C J Campbell, May 7, 2007
  10. padre

    ASAAR Guest

    On 6 May 2007 18:26:08 -0700, Ben Miller wrote:

    > Mea culpa, that's right - I forgot that the new Nikon D80 and D40
    > are SD, not CF. Thanks for the clarification.

    As is the older, discontinued D50. :)
    ASAAR, May 7, 2007
  11. padre

    padre Guest

    On May 6, 9:18 pm, C J Campbell <>
    wrote:
    > On 2007-05-06 17:16:55 -0700, "babaloo" <> said:
    >
    > > I thought Christ preferred Canons?

    > ROFL
    >
    > There was no generally accepted canon in Christ's day.
    >
    > God created scripture. Men created Canon.
    >
    > --
    > Waddling Eagle
    > World Famous Flight Instructor

    Im Lutheran no CANON LAW here