Buying More Ram

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hi

    I want another 256 Megs of Ram for my PC Company (RIP) computer. I have
    never bought RAM before. The RAM in my computer is A-Data DDR PC2100. I will
    be going to Ascent to buy my RAM. They do not Stock A-Data RAM. What will be
    the nearest RAM to the A-Data RAM that I have described? Thanks

    EMAIL to me please put 123 somewhere in subject to get through my Spam
    Filter Setting...

    Cheers

    Peter

    Teach others what you know about Windows Programs in Seconds with
    http://www.etchpad.com/
    Peter, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Peter

    SNOman Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I want another 256 Megs of Ram for my PC Company (RIP) computer. I have
    > never bought RAM before. The RAM in my computer is A-Data DDR PC2100. I will
    > be going to Ascent to buy my RAM. They do not Stock A-Data RAM. What will be
    > the nearest RAM to the A-Data RAM that I have described? Thanks
    >

    > EMAIL to me please put 123 somewhere in subject to get through my Spam
    > Filter Setting...
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Peter

    > Teach others what you know about Windows Programs in Seconds with
    > http://www.etchpad.com/

    It doesn't matter, you should be able to use any DDR PC2100 RAM
    SNOman, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Peter

    K & S Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:00:16 +1300, "Peter" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I want another 256 Megs of Ram for my PC Company (RIP) computer. I have
    >never bought RAM before. The RAM in my computer is A-Data DDR PC2100. I will
    >be going to Ascent to buy my RAM. They do not Stock A-Data RAM. What will be
    >the nearest RAM to the A-Data RAM that I have described? Thanks

    Ascent does not stock Ram, its a Mail order house..

    Try DSE as you can take it back if it does not work..

    K & S, Jan 9, 2004
  4. SNOman wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I want another 256 Megs of Ram for my PC Company (RIP) computer. I
    >> have never bought RAM before. The RAM in my computer is A-Data DDR
    >> PC2100. I will be going to Ascent to buy my RAM. They do not Stock
    >> A-Data RAM. What will be the nearest RAM to the A-Data RAM that I
    >> have described? Thanks
    >>

    >> EMAIL to me please put 123 somewhere in subject to get through my
    >> Spam Filter Setting...
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Peter

    >> Teach others what you know about Windows Programs in Seconds with
    >> http://www.etchpad.com/
    >>

    > It doesn't matter, you should be able to use any DDR PC2100 RAM

    Probably best to try a manufacturer like Kingston/KingMax as it usually
    plays nicely with other brands.
    Generic stuff often won't.

    Russell
    Russell Smithies, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Peter

    XPD Guest

    "K & S" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:00:16 +1300, "Peter" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >I want another 256 Megs of Ram for my PC Company (RIP) computer. I have
    > >never bought RAM before. The RAM in my computer is A-Data DDR PC2100. I

    will
    > >be going to Ascent to buy my RAM. They do not Stock A-Data RAM. What will

    be
    > >the nearest RAM to the A-Data RAM that I have described? Thanks
    > >

    > Ascent does not stock Ram, its a Mail order house..

    Mr Pedantic.
    XPD, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Peter

    Stuart Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > > Ascent does not stock Ram, its a Mail order house..

    > Mr Pedantic.

    Still, he has a point. If you are unsure about whether something will work,
    it'd be much better to return it to a place like DSE rather than Ascent.

    That said, any DDR 2100 ram should work, as others have already said.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Peter

    K & S Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:35:59 +1300, "Stuart"
    <> wrote:

    >"XPD" <> wrote in message
    >> > Ascent does not stock Ram, its a Mail order house..

    >> Mr Pedantic.

    >Still, he has a point. If you are unsure about whether something will work,
    >it'd be much better to return it to a place like DSE rather than Ascent.
    >
    >That said, any DDR 2100 ram should work, as others have already said.
    >
    >Stuart

    I always have good Points, its the Blunt Idiots here that are not to sharp..
    K & S, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Peter

    Guv Guest

    > Ascent does not stock Ram, its a Mail order house..
    >
    > Try DSE as you can take it back if it does not work..

    I have had Ram replaced by ascent when it failed.

    Another useless stoopid statement from our bud Wog.
    Guv, Jan 9, 2004
  9. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:37:22 +1300, K & S wrote:

    > I always have good Points, its the Blunt Idiots here that are not to sharp..

    However they they are seldom shown.

    Gordon, Jan 9, 2004
  10. Peter

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:45:05 +1300, Guv <> wrote:

    >> Ascent does not stock Ram, its a Mail order house..
    >>
    > > Try DSE as you can take it back if it does not work..

    >I have had Ram replaced by ascent when it failed.
    >
    >Another useless stoopid statement from our bud Wog.

    Does his precious PP stock stuff as well?
    Invisible, Jan 9, 2004
  11. Peter

    Pete Guest

    > Does his precious PP stock stuff as well?

    PP carry a lot of the essentials in stock. This and because they seem to
    be cheaper on most items is why I use them.
    Pete, Jan 9, 2004
  12. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Sad Stroy

    I did a search at DSE.CO.NZ and Yes they had the RAM, and someone beat me
    to it by an hr. Back to the Drawing board....

    Peter, Jan 9, 2004
  13. Peter

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:00:16 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > A-Data DDR PC2100

    Any ram rated as DDR PC2100 will do.

    --

    .... Brendan

    .... As long as they're clean they don't have to be perfectly straight.
    - Rev. Magdalen

    Note: All comments are copyright 10/01/2004 1:24:22 a.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my reccollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jan 9, 2004
  14. Peter

    bambam Guest

    Brendan <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:00:16 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> A-Data DDR PC2100

    > Any ram rated as DDR PC2100 will do.

    Or greater?
    Isn't faster RAM normally OK as it will just run at the lower speed?

    --
    If Guys Ruled the World............
    Birth control would come in ale or lager.
    bambam, Jan 9, 2004
  15. Peter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > Brendan <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:00:16 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> A-Data DDR PC2100

    >> Any ram rated as DDR PC2100 will do.

    > Or greater?
    > Isn't faster RAM normally OK as it will just run at the lower speed?

    It's always been that way for me.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 10, 2004
  16. Peter

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:46:34 GMT, bambam wrote:

    > Or greater?
    > Isn't faster RAM normally OK as it will just run at the lower speed?

    Yes.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Fear is the parent of cruelty." -- James Anthony Froude

    Note: All comments are copyright 11/01/2004 1:18:25 a.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my reccollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jan 10, 2004
  17. Peter

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:35:59 +1300, Stuart wrote:

    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >> > Ascent does not stock Ram, its a Mail order house..

    >> Mr Pedantic.

    > Still, he has a point. If you are unsure about whether something will
    > work, it'd be much better to return it to a place like DSE rather than
    > Ascent.

    Well Ascent do have regular sales of working but opened stuff that had
    been returned due to not being compatible with the original customers
    machine.

    That indicates a pretty friendly return policy to me :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jan 11, 2004