    is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 28, 2004

  2. John

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:1xq4mdszt69au$.1srdgjkyiymi8$...

    > I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
    > purchase.
    >
    > Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
    > the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
    > copy that's not legal.
    >
    > Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
    > is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?

    EBay is a well-established operation. Auction scams are "common" in the
    sense that there are enough of them to make you wary, but yes -- there
    are safeguards. Look for items that include a detailed description of
    what's on offer -- pictures are always helpful. Then look for sellers
    who a) have a solid feeback history, b) respond willingly to your
    pointed questions, and c) offer PayPal protection -- standard coverage
    is US$500. In the worst-case scenario, you'll face a tiresome claims
    process, but with software packages it shouldn't be difficult in the end
    to establish whether or not you received the goods you paid for.
    Patrick Bold, Aug 28, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:31:24 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
    >> purchase.
    >>
    >> Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
    >> the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
    >> copy that's not legal.
    >>
    >> Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
    >> is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?
    >>

    > EBay is a well-established operation. Auction scams are "common" in the
    > sense that there are enough of them to make you wary, but yes -- there
    > are safeguards. Look for items that include a detailed description of
    > what's on offer -- pictures are always helpful. Then look for sellers
    > who a) have a solid feeback history, b) respond willingly to your
    > pointed questions, and c) offer PayPal protection -- standard coverage
    > is US$500. In the worst-case scenario, you'll face a tiresome claims
    > process, but with software packages it shouldn't be difficult in the end
    > to establish whether or not you received the goods you paid for.

    Thanks Patrick,
    After reading your helpful reply I've joined both eBay, and PayPal:)

    Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
    received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
    the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
    NZ...is that correct?

    Again, thanks for the help and information.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 28, 2004
  4. John

    Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:44:15 +1200, John <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
    >purchase.
    >
    >Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
    >the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
    >copy that's not legal.
    >
    >Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
    >is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    Ask plenty of questions!
    I bought a programme without thinking about the PAC.
    It wasn't until I went to register it that I knew any thing about it.
    I emailed the seller back who told me he was sold them without the
    PAC.

    But do check their feedback thoroughly...

    Cath
    , Aug 28, 2004
  5. John

    Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:20:44 +1200, John <> wrote:
    [msge snipped]

    >Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
    >received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
    >the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
    >NZ...is that correct?
    >
    >Again, thanks for the help and information.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    Yes, the seller should contact you directly to answer your questions
    however, some don't!
    Thankfully ebay does not charge to ask questions - unlike Trademe.

    Whatever you do, ask for the total cost of shipping and if it includes
    insurance etc. Overseas shipping can be very expensive from the US.

    Cath
    , Aug 28, 2004
  6. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:10:16 -0500,
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:44:15 +1200, John <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
    >>purchase.
    >>
    >>Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
    >>the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
    >>copy that's not legal.
    >>
    >>Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
    >>is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>John.

    > Ask plenty of questions!
    > I bought a programme without thinking about the PAC.
    > It wasn't until I went to register it that I knew any thing about it.
    > I emailed the seller back who told me he was sold them without the
    > PAC.
    >
    > But do check their feedback thoroughly...
    >
    > Cath

    What do you mean by PAC?

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 28, 2004
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:10:20 -0500,
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:20:44 +1200, John <> wrote:
    > [msge snipped]
    >
    >>Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
    >>received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
    >>the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
    >>NZ...is that correct?
    >>
    >>Again, thanks for the help and information.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>John.

    > Yes, the seller should contact you directly to answer your questions
    > however, some don't!
    > Thankfully ebay does not charge to ask questions - unlike Trademe.
    >
    > Whatever you do, ask for the total cost of shipping and if it includes
    > insurance etc. Overseas shipping can be very expensive from the US.
    >
    > Cath

    Tell me about it:-( I'm trying to get an Nikon rubber eyecup for my
    camera that can only be sourced from the US. The cost of the eyecup is
    under $7us but the shipping is $26us. This for a small piece of rubber
    about the same size as a women's thumb.
    On the other hand I get large books sent over for under $10us from
    Amazon. Doesn't make sense.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 28, 2004
  8. John

    Chris Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:10:20 -0500,
    > wrote:
    >

    >>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:20:44 +1200, John <> wrote:
    >>[msge snipped]
    >>

    >>>Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
    >>>received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
    >>>the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
    >>>NZ...is that correct?
    >>>
    >>>Again, thanks for the help and information.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>John.

    >>Yes, the seller should contact you directly to answer your questions
    >>however, some don't!
    >>Thankfully ebay does not charge to ask questions - unlike Trademe.
    >>
    >>Whatever you do, ask for the total cost of shipping and if it includes
    >>insurance etc. Overseas shipping can be very expensive from the US.
    >>
    >>Cath

    > Tell me about it:-( I'm trying to get an Nikon rubber eyecup for my
    > camera that can only be sourced from the US. The cost of the eyecup is
    > under $7us but the shipping is $26us. This for a small piece of rubber
    > about the same size as a women's thumb.
    > On the other hand I get large books sent over for under $10us from
    > Amazon. Doesn't make sense.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    Most likely Amazon ships in bulk to distribution centers like Dell does
    and from there it is shipped locally. The shipping would be calculated
    in $USD from Amazon in the USA but the rates Amazon would be paying
    would be much less than normal. DHL offer that kind of service.

    --
    __
    OK, whats below this text is not added by me, it's added by

    Chris, Aug 29, 2004
  9. John

    thing Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:31:24 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:
    >

    >>"John" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
    >>>purchase.
    >>>
    >>>Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
    >>>the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
    >>>copy that's not legal.
    >>>
    >>>Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
    >>>is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?
    >>>

    >>EBay is a well-established operation. Auction scams are "common" in the
    >>sense that there are enough of them to make you wary, but yes -- there
    >>are safeguards. Look for items that include a detailed description of
    >>what's on offer -- pictures are always helpful. Then look for sellers
    >>who a) have a solid feeback history, b) respond willingly to your
    >>pointed questions, and c) offer PayPal protection -- standard coverage
    >>is US$500. In the worst-case scenario, you'll face a tiresome claims
    >>process, but with software packages it shouldn't be difficult in the end
    >>to establish whether or not you received the goods you paid for.

    > Thanks Patrick,
    > After reading your helpful reply I've joined both eBay, and PayPal:)
    >
    > Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
    > received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
    > the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
    > NZ...is that correct?
    >
    > Again, thanks for the help and information.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    Also ask if they will ship to NZ and the approx cost. Many will not and
    those that do, I have found charge a huge amount. Its not thier fault
    but that of Fedex etc. I once had 5 drives shipped only to find them all
    dead, I shipped them back and the cost was 50% of what it cost to ship
    over...so do watch it.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Aug 29, 2004
  10. John

    Karen Parker Guest

    wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:20:44 +1200, John <> wrote:
    >[msge snipped]
    >
    >>Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
    >>received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
    >>the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
    >>NZ...is that correct?
    >>
    >>Again, thanks for the help and information.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>John.

    >Yes, the seller should contact you directly to answer your questions
    >however, some don't!
    >Thankfully ebay does not charge to ask questions - unlike Trademe.
    >
    >Whatever you do, ask for the total cost of shipping and if it includes
    >insurance etc. Overseas shipping can be very expensive from the US.
    >
    >Cath

    One thing I have seen a few posts on about eBay and Software, is that some of
    it was Chinese copies..

    So be careful..

    Have you tried Trade & Exchange..?
    Karen Parker, Aug 29, 2004
  11. John

    thing Guest

    yeah so bad (shipping) Ive given up on ebay....

    regards

    thing

    thing, Aug 29, 2004
  12. > Have you tried Trade & Exchange..?

    Haha, they're not exactly the bastion of legal software!! They just run the
    ads, they don't give a toss about the legality of the product.

    One simple example :

    ADOBE
    [ADOBE] Premiere Pro 1.5, full unlimited version. Contact me via e-mail
    only: or

    Asking Price NZ$90.00
    Phone1: (04) 424-3456

    Ascent retail this for $1,795.

    No matter where you buy it - if it's way too cheap, it must be dodgy.

    ~!@#$%^&*()_+

    Homer: "I'm not a religious man, but if you're out there Superman, save me!"
    ..Waylon Smithers.., Aug 29, 2004
  13. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:41:03 +1200, thing wrote:

    > yeah so bad (shipping) Ive given up on ebay....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing
    >

    >> Whatever you do, ask for the total cost of shipping and if it includes
    >> insurance etc. Overseas shipping can be very expensive from the US.
    >>
    >> Cath

    Thanks to the group for the help and assistance, pleased to say I've
    managed to purchase a copy of the software and at a reasonable
    price(at least I think it's reasonable).

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 29, 2004
  14. John

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:29:38 +1200, "..Waylon Smithers.."
    <.> wrote:

    >> Have you tried Trade & Exchange..?

    >Haha, they're not exactly the bastion of legal software!! They just run the
    >ads, they don't give a toss about the legality of the product.
    >
    >One simple example :
    >
    > ADOBE
    >[ADOBE] Premiere Pro 1.5, full unlimited version. Contact me via e-mail
    >only: or
    >
    >Asking Price NZ$90.00
    >Phone1: (04) 424-3456
    >

    >Ascent retail this for $1,795.
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=149219
    >

    >No matter where you buy it - if it's way too cheap, it must be dodgy.
    >

    >~!@#$%^&*()_+
    >
    >Homer: "I'm not a religious man, but if you're out there Superman, save me!"

    A Friend bought a Local Copy of Office and it was still shrink raped, that
    Foun for him in T. A.

    That was what I am referring to, not some idiot 100 miles away..
    Karen Parker, Aug 29, 2004
  15. Karen Parker wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:29:38 +1200, "..Waylon Smithers.."
    > <.> wrote:
    >
    >>> Have you tried Trade & Exchange..?

    >> Haha, they're not exactly the bastion of legal software!! They just
    >> run the ads, they don't give a toss about the legality of the
    >> product.
    >>
    >> One simple example :
    >>
    >> ADOBE
    >> [ADOBE] Premiere Pro 1.5, full unlimited version. Contact me via
    >> e-mail only: or
    >>
    >> Asking Price NZ$90.00
    >> Phone1: (04) 424-3456
    >>

    >> Ascent retail this for $1,795.
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=149219
    >>

    >> No matter where you buy it - if it's way too cheap, it must be dodgy.
    >>

    >> ~!@#$%^&*()_+
    >>
    >> Homer: "I'm not a religious man, but if you're out there Superman,
    >> save me!"
    >>

    > A Friend bought a Local Copy of Office and it was still shrink raped,
    > that Foun for him in T. A.
    >

    > That was what I am referring to, not some idiot 100 miles away..

    SPEAK ENGLISH ! A copy of Office raped !? Foun ?? T.A. ??

    FFS, my dog communicates better than you do. And he can lick his own balls.

    At least TradeMe police fraudulent advertising and pirated software, but
    Trade & Exchange just print the ad.
    ..Waylon Smithers.., Aug 29, 2004
  16. John

    Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:23:42 +1200, John <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:10:16 -0500,
    > wrote:

    [msge snipped]>

    >> Ask plenty of questions!
    >> I bought a programme without thinking about the PAC.
    >> It wasn't until I went to register it that I knew any thing about it.
    >> I emailed the seller back who told me he was sold them without the
    >> PAC.
    >>
    >> But do check their feedback thoroughly...
    >>
    >> Cath

    >What do you mean by PAC?
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    Product Authenticity Card
    , Aug 29, 2004
  17. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:31:39 -0500,
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:23:42 +1200, John <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:10:16 -0500,
    >> wrote:

    > [msge snipped]>
    >
    >>> Ask plenty of questions!
    >>> I bought a programme without thinking about the PAC.
    >>> It wasn't until I went to register it that I knew any thing about it.
    >>> I emailed the seller back who told me he was sold them without the
    >>> PAC.
    >>>
    >>> But do check their feedback thoroughly...
    >>>
    >>> Cath

    >>What do you mean by PAC?
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>John.

    > Product Authenticity Card

    Bugger, too late:-(

    Regards,
    John
    John, Aug 29, 2004
  18. John

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:44:15 +1200, John <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
    >purchase.
    >
    >Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
    >the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
    >copy that's not legal.
    >
    >Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
    >is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?

    Generally speaking the only legal software on the likes of Ebay is
    that supplied with the original box & manuals etc. I've yet to see
    software pirates go to the trouble of making up a retail box, they'll
    often make up a CD & case that looks identical to the real thing but
    not the whole shebang. On that basis I'd suggest you buy only the full
    package if you do want to be sure your software is legal.

    Ebay is a bit of a trap for the unwary. Biggest con is shipping from
    the USA. A lot of US sellers who ship international charge outrageous
    prices, probably make more profit on shipping than they do on selling
    their goods. I bought something for a mate recently, he was quoted
    US$30 for shipping & when he received it found it had a US$15 UPS
    postage stamp on it.

    UPS is the most common shipping method, and it's near twice the price
    of USPS so it is important to get shipping quotes before bidding, and
    also ask if the seller will ship using USPS.

    As far as safety goes, the sellers feedback is the only real guide and
    it's a good guide by & large. Generally you shouldn't have much
    trouble with Ebay if you use common sense & don't let greed do the
    talking.

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Aug 29, 2004
  19. John

    WLF Guest

    "..Waylon Smithers.." <.> wrote in message news:<cgriii$rvl$>...
    > > Have you tried Trade & Exchange..?

    > Haha, they're not exactly the bastion of legal software!! They just run the
    > ads, they don't give a toss about the legality of the product.
    >
    > One simple example :
    >
    > ADOBE
    > [ADOBE] Premiere Pro 1.5, full unlimited version. Contact me via e-mail
    > only: or
    >
    > Asking Price NZ$90.00
    > Phone1: (04) 424-3456
    >
    > Ascent retail this for $1,795.
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=149219

    If it is version 1.5 like stated, it could quite likely be legitimate.
    WLF, Aug 30, 2004
  20. John

    Jeff Graham Guest

    I purchased Photoshop CS via Ebay a couple of months back. It was one of
    the "Guaranteed unregistered" earlier editions plus CS upgrade deals at
    around US$399 - at around nz$600ish it's a good saving over local retail.

    The delivered items were totally kosher, Photoshop 6 plus CS upgrade
    both in original shrinkwrap packaging with manuals, I've had no problems
    with registration at Adobe. Only minor downside was I had to install and
    register PS 6 then install the upgrade. Not a real hassle given the
    savings ......

    Usual Ebay precautions were taken, the seller had positive feedback in
    the high hundreds with few or no negatives and I searched the most
    recent feedbacks for a similar lot and found one that also mentioned no
    problems with registration. I also spent a while waiting until I found a
    seller that had a sensible delivery price, because as mentioned by
    earlier repliers, some sellers do lump the shipping costs.

    your mileage may vary of course but I've made several high value
    purchases from Ebay now without any problems.

    jeff

    Jeff Graham, Aug 30, 2004