    where is the best place to buy a digital slr camera (Nikon or Canon)??
    Any advice?
    Brgds Sorensen, Denmark

    ----P.Sir----, Aug 17, 2005

  2. ----P.Sir----

    salgud Guest

    ----P.Sir---- wrote:
    > I am coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks and are looking for advice as to
    > where is the best place to buy a digital slr camera (Nikon or Canon)??
    > Any advice?
    > Brgds Sorensen, Denmark

    Go to an internet cafe and buy one from a reputable dealer on the
    internet!

    salgud, Aug 17, 2005

  3. ----P.Sir----

    Mark² Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote in message

    > ----P.Sir---- wrote:
    >> I am coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks and are looking for advice as
    >> where is the best place to buy a digital slr camera (Nikon or Canon)??
    >> Any advice?
    >> Brgds Sorensen, Denmark

    > Go to an internet cafe and buy one from a reputable dealer on the
    > internet!

    And where would they ship it??? Denmark?
    I have this funny feeling he just might want to use it while he's here...

    Mark², Aug 17, 2005
  4. ----P.Sir----

    Hans S Guest

    Mark² wrote:

    > > > I am coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks and are looking for
    > > > advice as to where is the best place to buy a digital slr camera
    > > > (Nikon or Canon)?? Any advice?
    > > > Brgds Sorensen, Denmark

    > > Go to an internet cafe and buy one from a reputable dealer on the
    > > internet!

    > And where would they ship it??? Denmark?
    > I have this funny feeling he just might want to use it while he's
    > here...

    Apart from that he might try to duck import tax.

    Hans S, Aug 17, 2005
  5. ----P.Sir----

    Mark² Guest

    "----P.Sir----" <> wrote in message
    >I am coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks and are looking for advice as
    >to where is the best place to buy a digital slr camera (Nikon or Canon)??
    > Any advice?
    > Brgds Sorensen, Denmark

    Drive South to Oregon where there is no sales tax.
    Great shops in Portland with full DSLR stuff.
    Dang if the shop name doesn't escape me... I was just there and bought the
    24-70 2.8 L.
    They had EVERYTHING...including the Canon 1D Mark II and the 1Ds Mark II.
    The building looked crummy from the outside, but inside it was top-notch.

    -Down near the railroad tracks down-town.
    Anyone know the name?
    Brick building...

    Mark², Aug 17, 2005
  6. Both of the above !

    But I still need advice of where to go in Seattle? I will stay in the
    Bellevue area.
    Sorensen

    ----P.Sir----, Aug 17, 2005
  7. ----P.Sir----

    salgud Guest

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > "salgud" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > ----P.Sir---- wrote:
    > >> I am coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks and are looking for advice as
    > >> where is the best place to buy a digital slr camera (Nikon or Canon)??
    > >> Any advice?
    > >> Brgds Sorensen, Denmark

    > > Go to an internet cafe and buy one from a reputable dealer on the
    > > internet!

    > And where would they ship it??? Denmark?
    > I have this funny feeling he just might want to use it while he's here...

    I have this funny feeling that you just might need a laugh track to que
    you to when someone's trying to make a point in a humorous way...

    salgud, Aug 17, 2005
  8. ----P.Sir----

    Mark² Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote in message

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > "salgud" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > ----P.Sir---- wrote:
    > >> I am coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks and are looking for advice
    > >> as
    > >> where is the best place to buy a digital slr camera (Nikon or Canon)??
    > >> Any advice?
    > >> Brgds Sorensen, Denmark

    > > Go to an internet cafe and buy one from a reputable dealer on the
    > > internet!

    > And where would they ship it??? Denmark?
    > I have this funny feeling he just might want to use it while he's here...

    I have this funny feeling that you just might need a laugh track to que
    you to when someone's trying to make a point in a humorous way...
    -----------------
    It doesn't help that I've been up all night working on stuff. My
    laugh-o-meter gets squeaky...
    :(
    Still...you might be surprised to read the silly suggestions made here from
    time to time (and I'm sure I've made a few of them...).

    Mark², Aug 17, 2005
  9. ----P.Sir----

    salgud Guest

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > "salgud" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > > "salgud" <> wrote in message

    > > > Go to an internet cafe and buy one from a reputable dealer on the
    > > > internet!

    > > And where would they ship it??? Denmark?
    > > I have this funny feeling he just might want to use it while he's here....

    > I have this funny feeling that you just might need a laugh track to que
    > you to when someone's trying to make a point in a humorous way...
    > -----------------
    > It doesn't help that I've been up all night working on stuff. My
    > laugh-o-meter gets squeaky...
    > :(
    > Still...you might be surprised to read the silly suggestions made here from
    > time to time (and I'm sure I've made a few of them...).

    I was just trying to suggest he might do much better ordering online
    (before his trip) than in any retail store. I know some people are
    afraid to do that, for good reasons. But if you do enough research,
    it's far cheaper, especially for things like digital cameras. I've been
    looking for one, and the ones I'm looking at are around 20 - 40%
    cheaper online, from reputable dealers.
    As for being up all night, I strongly reccommend against it. I've done
    some very dumb things in similar circumstances and try to avoid it as
    much as I can.

    salgud, Aug 17, 2005
  10. ----P.Sir----

    Brian Guest

    There are only two "real" photography equipment stores, Glazers Camera
    and Optech. Glazers is online at glazerscamera.com and I haven't been
    able to find the web site for Optech. Both are within a mile and a
    half of downtown Seattle.

    There are other places like Kens Camera which is similar to Ritz Camera
    and other places like that.

    I personally would (and do) buy on the internet though.

    Brian

    Brian, Aug 17, 2005
  11. ----P.Sir----

    Hans S Guest

    ----P.Sir---- wrote:
    > > > I have this funny feeling he just might want to use it while he's
    > > > here...

    >> Apart from that he might try to duck import tax.

    > Both of the above !

    Be careful when you return. I have been told customs are familiar with
    the serial numbers that are imported into the EU.

    Hans S, Aug 17, 2005
  12. ----P.Sir----

    howard Guest

    Re: Buying DSLR in seattle?/go to Portland

    > >> I am coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks and are looking for advice

    ====================================
    If you have transportation (personal) drive about 2.5 hours to PORTLAND
    OREGON and save the SALES TAX from Washington.......NO SALES TAX IN OREGON

    howard, Aug 17, 2005
  13. ----P.Sir----

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <43035065$0$592$>,
    "----P.Sir----" <> wrote:

    > Both of the above !
    >
    > But I still need advice of where to go in Seattle? I will stay in the
    > Bellevue area.
    > Sorensen

    Kenmore Camera
    Glazers Camera
    KB Camera - Bellingham
    Ken's Camera
    Optechs
    Omega Photo
    R&K Photo
    Robi's - Tacoma
    The Camera Shop - Tacoma
    University Book Store

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Aug 17, 2005
  14. Re: Buying DSLR in seattle?/go to Portland

    Thanks for the advice - but I am only there for like 24 hours - and have
    some work to do also, so it is going to have to be in
    Seattle/Bellevue/airport area.
    sorensen

    ----P.Sir----, Aug 17, 2005
  15. ----P.Sir----

    Joel Dorfan Guest

    Order from B&H in NYC and have them deliver to where you will be in Seattle.
    Sounds like you wont have much time to go shopping.

    I have bought this way a few times when I visit the USA with no problem.

    Joel
    South Africa

    Joel Dorfan, Aug 17, 2005
  16. ----P.Sir----

    wilt Guest

    Re: Buying DSLR in seattle?/go to Portland

    >If you have transportation (personal) drive about 2.5 hours to PORTLAND
    >OREGON and save the SALES TAX from Washington.......NO SALES TAX IN OREGON

    Let's see...5 hours driving at conservative 60mph is 300 miles. In a
    car with 25mpg, that burns 12 gallons. At about $2.70 per gallon,
    that's $32 in sales tax, or tax on a $492 item. (Then you have to
    figure in how many miles are 'free' on the rental car rate, before
    figuring in cost of driving the car, above the gas cost alone, if you
    don't have unlimited miles in the agreement.) Seems like a whole lot
    of driving (5 hrs.) to save yourself not a lot of money ($35) if the
    total purchase comes to $1000 before tax.

    wilt, Aug 17, 2005
  17. Re: Buying DSLR in seattle?/go to Portland

    In article
    <>, howard
    <fishfeeder@gmail(dot)com> wrote:

    > If you have transportation (personal) drive about 2.5 hours to PORTLAND
    > OREGON and save the SALES TAX from Washington.......NO SALES TAX IN OREGON

    HEY! We need the tax dollars. The fools in this state elected (well,
    actually, they selected) a Democrat for governor and so far she's never
    seen a tax or regulation she didn't like.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 18, 2005
  18. ----P.Sir----

    Lilo Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, howard
    > <fishfeeder@gmail(dot)com> wrote:
    >

    >>If you have transportation (personal) drive about 2.5 hours to PORTLAND
    >>OREGON and save the SALES TAX from Washington.......NO SALES TAX IN OREGON

    > HEY! We need the tax dollars. The fools in this state elected (well,
    > actually, they selected) a Democrat for governor and so far she's never
    > seen a tax or regulation she didn't like.

    out of staters do not have to pay washington tax. Do not about foreigner.

    http://www.kcamera.com/
    18031 67th Ave Ne Kenmore WA 98028
    425-485-7447 or toll free 1-888-485-7447
    Open Monday - Friday 9:00-7:00, Saturday 9:00-5:00 PST

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    400 Pine Street, Suite 300
    Seattle, WA 98101
    Phone: 206-682-7760
    Approximate Distance: 0.15 miles
    Directions

    Cameras West
    Kits Camera CW
    1908 4th Avenue
    Seattle, WA 98101
    Phone: 206-622-0066
    Approximate Distance: 0.21 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    11 Mercer Street
    Seattle, WA 98109
    Phone: 206-283-7537
    Approximate Distance: 1.36 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    2724 NE 45th Street
    Seattle, WA 98105
    Phone: 206-526-0743
    Approximate Distance: 3.86 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera - Jefferson Square
    4726 42nd Avenue, SW
    Seattle, WA 98116
    Phone: 206-932-4190
    Approximate Distance: 4.24 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    266 Bellevue Square
    Bellevue, WA 98004
    Phone: 425-646-3577
    Approximate Distance: 6.19 miles
    Directions

    Cameras West
    Cameras West
    823 NE Northgate Way
    Seattle, WA 98125
    Phone: 206-365-0066
    Approximate Distance: 6.73 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    923 Northgate Mall
    Seattle, WA 98125
    Phone: 206-364-6224
    Approximate Distance: 6.74 miles
    Directions

    Kits Camera
    Kirkland Park Place
    336 Park Place
    Kirkland , WA 98033-6229
    Phone: 425-576-5010
    Approximate Distance: 7.79 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    12816 SE 38th Street
    Bellevue, WA 98006
    Phone: 425-641-6224
    Approximate Distance: 8.07 miles
    Directions

    Cameras West
    Kits Camera CW
    14309 NE 20th
    Bellevue, WA 98007
    Phone: 425-641-6677
    Approximate Distance: 8.54 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Mill Creek Town Center
    15407 Main Street, Suite 101
    Mill Creek, WA 98012-7375
    Phone: 425-337-0248
    Approximate Distance: 9.27 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    17171 Bothell Way NE
    Seattle, WA 98155
    Phone: 206-365-7204
    Approximate Distance: 10.10 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    17166 Redmond Way
    Redmond, WA 98052
    Phone: 425-885-5711
    Approximate Distance: 11.14 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    1020 Southcenter Shopping Center
    Seattle, WA 98188
    Phone: 206-246-6224
    Approximate Distance: 11.38 miles
    Directions

    Cameras West
    Cameras West
    17420 South Center Parkway
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    Phone: 206-575-1775
    Approximate Distance: 11.82 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Downtown Woodinville
    13804 N.E. 175th Street, #104
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    Phone: 425-483-6466
    Approximate Distance: 12.96 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Commons at Issaquah
    735 NW Gilman Blvd, Suite D
    Issaquah, WA 98027
    Phone: 425-427-1374
    Approximate Distance: 14.17 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    3000 184th Street, SW
    Lynnwood, WA 98037
    Phone: 425-771-7720
    Approximate Distance: 15.46 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Klahanie Village
    4504 Klahanie Drive SE
    Issaquah, WA 98029
    Phone: 425-427-2635
    Approximate Distance: 15.58 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    10315 Silverdale Way
    Silverdale, WA 98383
    Phone: 360-692-5367
    Approximate Distance: 16.80 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    31507 Pacific Highway South
    Federal Way, WA 98003
    Phone: 253-946-6160
    Approximate Distance: 20.18 miles
    Directions

    Kits Camera
    Covington Place
    27111 167th Place S.E. Suite 101
    Covington, WA 98042
    Phone: 253-638-0132
    Approximate Distance: 20.19 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    1402 S.E. Everett Mall Way
    Everett, WA 98208
    Phone: 425-353-1022
    Approximate Distance: 21.48 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera - Tacoma Mall, #339
    4502 S. Steele
    Tacoma, WA 98409
    Phone: 253-472-6224
    Approximate Distance: 27.87 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    The Willows Shopping Center
    3803 Meridian South, Suite B
    Puyallup, WA 98373-3713
    Phone: 253-841-1454
    Approximate Distance: 31.54 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    700A Sleater-Kinney Rd, Bldg. D
    Lacey, WA 98503
    Phone: 360-438-9518
    Approximate Distance: 45.79 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Cooper Point Marketplace
    1200 Cooper Point Rd. SW
    Olympia, WA 98502
    Phone: 360-943-2570
    Approximate Distance: 48.18 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    31595 SR 20, Suite 5
    Oak Harbor, WA 98277
    Phone: 360-679-1707
    Approximate Distance: 55.11 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera - Cascade Mall
    755 Cascade Mall Drive
    Burlington, WA 98233
    Phone: 360-757-2525
    Approximate Distance: 58.60 miles
    Directions

    Kits Cameras
    Kits Camera
    1 Bellis Fair Parkway
    Bellingham, WA 98226
    Phone: 360-671-9687
    Approximate Distance: 81.27 miles

    Lilo, Aug 18, 2005
  19. ----P.Sir----

    DFS Guest

    Re: Buying DSLR in seattle?/go to Portland

    > out of staters do not have to pay washington tax. Do not about foreigner.
    -------------------------------

    Wrong !

    If you take delivery in state of item purchased, you DO pay tax unless you
    are from one of a handful of states that Washington exempts from our tax.
    Items shipped out of state are exempt.

    DS

    DFS, Aug 18, 2005
  20. ----P.Sir----

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:52:24 +0200, "Joel Dorfan"
    <> wrote:

    >Order from B&H in NYC and have them deliver to where you will be in Seattle.
    >Sounds like you wont have much time to go shopping.
    >
    >I have bought this way a few times when I visit the USA with no problem.
    >
    >Joel
    >South Africa

    Snce you're from SA, can you answer a question?
    When you do this, I presume you pay by credit card. Do you have a
    problem with a delivery to someplace other than your billing address?
    With my CCs, if I order something and have it delivered to an address
    other than my billing address, the CC bank will refuse the charge
    unless I tell them about it in advance.
    Does it work this way for SA banks, too? I ask, because this seems to
    be a very basic theft-prevention technique, but it seems (from answers
    like yours and others) that this isn't always done.
    Thanks!

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"